• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Stanford Prison Experiment - Andrew Hewitt

An unusual one this. A lot of minimal-style music to my ears that's bordering on the unpleasant because of the choice of 'instruments'. It's almost like part of the experiment is to compose a score using the things you would find in a prison.

Lots of ostinato rhythms and washes of abrasive sounds. It is intriguing how this would work in the movie.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Brothers of the Wind - Sarah Class

Lovely little score from Class. Shows off the bond between an abandoned eagle chick and the boy looking after it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Tom and Jerry - Scott Bradley

Excellent 'mickey-mousing' or 'Tom'n'Jerrying'.
  4. Southall wrote
    The Rocketeer - James Horner

More than adequate.

Ahhh, so sufficient.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2016 edited
    NP: The Ipcress File - John Barry

It's difficult for me to articulate clearly just how much I love this score! Sure, it's monothematic but Barry does so much with that fantastic theme throughout the score. I just love it from beginning to end...
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  5. Thor wrote
    And no, please don't ask me to provide specific examples within specific cues. I've already deleted the soundtrack, and will have nothing more to do with it. Moving on....

Nice to know we can discuss these things!
  6. Thanks for explaining the Katra bit, Captain. Regarding the derivative remarks about ST III, I thought it was only logical to expand the Genesis theme for this, and "Stealing the Enterprise" is absolutely breathtaking. Given that III's story is basically the backlash of II's events, I don't mind the similarities one bit; it enhances the feeling of a continuing storyline, and I wished Horner would have returned for IV.

I don't like IV's score either, basically for the same reason I don't like most of Giacchino's Trek stuff. It just sounds too "dry" and "small" compared to the epic sound of Horner's scores.
  7. Regarding the derivative remarks about ST III, I thought it was only logical to expand the Genesis theme for this

Yes, but including "Battle Beyond the Stars" he wrote three space scores in that style. Great but enough.

Concerning Giacchino - not only regarding Trek - I have grown into a screamingly raving fan boy. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Concerning Giacchino - not only regarding Trek - I have grown into a screamingly raving fan boy. smile

Poor soul.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mogens wrote
    NP: The Ipcress File - John Barry

It's difficult for me to articulate clearly just how much I love this score! Sure, it's monothematic but Barry does so much with that fantastic theme throughout the score. I just love it from beginning to end...

The album is padded out with jazzy variations of the theme that don't appear in the film except as one source piece heard on a radio. It's a brilliant score, a masterclass in film scoring and the film itself is great too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Poor soul.

This is what I think about you being a Martinez or a Reznor fan, so fair's fair. smile
  9. NP - MIRACLES FROM HEAVEN - Carlo Siliotto

The opening is nice, but I'm 23 tracks in and still waiting for something that sounds like it belongs in a movie with the words "miracles" and "heaven" in the title. Hopefully it will get there by the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    NP - MIRACLES FROM HEAVEN - Carlo Siliotto

The opening is nice, but I'm 23 tracks in and still waiting for something that sounds like it belongs in a movie with the words "miracles" and "heaven" in the title. Hopefully it will get there by the end.

I agree that it's not as 'religious-sounding' as the title suggests, but the sweeping romanticism is something that I fell totally in love with. This is one of my highlights of the year.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Cutthroat Island - John Debney (LLL reissue)

The fiddle in "The Battle" has never sounded better.

It's mixed too loud now but at least we can hear it.

-Erik-

It's a nice touch of Rohan for the high seas. smile
  11. Star Trek Beyond - Michael Giacchino

Like Thor, I'm not finding this particularly magical. Nor musically interesting.
    Giacchino's sound for blockbuster spectacles leaves a lot to be desired for me.
  12. Giacchino's music resonates with me on an emotional level that is hard to put into words. In STB is find so much "Sense of Wonder". (Which is what I am chiefly looking for in science fiction, which is why I prefer exploratory Star Trek over military Star Trek.) This score I would love to listen to in a planetarium.

smile Volker
  13. I used to feel the same. His work since Up doesn't connect with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2016 edited
    J. Flaherty wrote
    I used to feel the same. His work since Up doesn't connect with me.

UP is one of the most overrated scores of all time (that it won an Oscar is incomprehensible). But the film is nice.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. I have to say I was rather underwhelmed by Up (the score) and hence didn't listen to it in a while. I'll see to that tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2016
    I really like Giacchino but "emotional" isn't a word I'd readily associate. It's technically strong music, he does seem to have a good sense of dramatic plotting with music, but I think he's usually very much underscoring what's happening in the film rather than pushing it further than what's already there, the way a Horner or a Goldsmith did. That famous bit in Up, and much of Inside Out, is I'd say more about capturing a joie de vivre than overtly scoring emotion.
  15. NP: Magdalene - Cliff Eidelman

I tend to be disappointed by this score because the power and drama of the opening track promises much but the remainder of the album is much more restrained. But, then I reflect on the quality of the more tender and emotional tracks that make up the bulk of this score and my disappointment is lessened.

This is a very good album with some beautiful tracks.
  16. NP: The Return of Ringo - Ennio Morricone

One of my favourite songs especially written for the screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    I really like Giacchino but "emotional" isn't a word I'd readily associate. It's technically strong music, he does seem to have a good sense of dramatic plotting with music, but I think he's usually very much underscoring what's happening in the film rather than pushing it further than what's already there, the way a Horner or a Goldsmith did. That famous bit in Up, and much of Inside Out, is I'd say more about capturing a joie de vivre than overtly scoring emotion.

Certainly true of his film scores. Lost remains his most 'personal' sounding project, and his most emotional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2016 edited
    J. Flaherty wrote

Interesting how many people are specifically critics of the "sound". I always thought I was imagining things, but there seems to be a certain "feel" that's unsatisfactory for some. Interestingly, I thought the Jupiter Ascending "Movements" Suite had the right sound for space opera, while the rest of the score wasn't always "there". They were recorded differently, at different places, right?

Captain Future wrote
    Regarding the derivative remarks about ST III, I thought it was only logical to expand the Genesis theme for this
    Yes, but including "Battle Beyond the Stars" he wrote three space scores in that style. Great but enough.

Don't leave Krull out of this. It's Fantasy, yes, but if you look at it, it's his specific style at that moment in time, so I wouldn't call it derivative, but Hornerism. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DAYS OF THUNDER (Hans Zimmer)

Top 10 Zimmer, easily. Superb!
    I am extremely serious.
  17. NP: Up (2008) - Michael Giacchino

This is ultimately not my cUp of tea. This light jazzy, operetta kind of music you might expect in Disney's family oriented comedies of yesteryear. That kind of score has never appealed to me.
    But I'd say, this is competently written and executed.

Volker
  18. Earlier I was listening to my own personal edit and arrangement from the score to "The Quick and the Dead" (Silvestri), from the nearly complete 2CD sessions. Hopefully this gets a full release one day.

It's a wonderful score that flew under most people's radars. Wonderful cues like this make it a fine score, though the old western scores of yesteryear are clearly of an influence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5cBsJqJ8GU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWZvqTBPxvE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZF8zffFf3k (yeah, Mars, Bringer of War, but still a great cue)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SUMMER RENTAL (Alan Silvestri)

The theme sounds very much like ROMANCING THE STONE (the kind of Grusin-ian acid jazz, sometimes combined with orchestra), but that's what I like about it. Never seen the movie.
    I am extremely serious.
  19. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote

Interesting how many people are specifically critics of the "sound". I always thought I was imagining things, but there seems to be a certain "feel" that's unsatisfactory for some. Interestingly, I thought the Jupiter Ascending "Movements" Suite had the right sound for space opera, while the rest of the score wasn't always "there". They were recorded differently, at different places, right?

Captain Future wrote
    Regarding the derivative remarks about ST III, I thought it was only logical to expand the Genesis theme for this

Don't leave Krull out of this. It's Fantasy, yes, but if you look at it, it's his specific style at that moment in time, so I wouldn't call it derivative, but Hornerism. ^^

Well, of all the composers coming from the most recent generation (outside of RCP) of A-list film composers, I think Giacchino (largely from his love to the music he grew up with, that being of course the John Williams score from post-and-including Star Wars era, but also from his highly leitmotivic approach to a series like Lost) has the strongest and finest approach to structure. He might not be as thematically memorable as, say, John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith, but that's because he is coming from a more contemporary musical tradition.

I gave that a bit of thought at some time and I realized that some techniques employed by Giacchino, starting actually with Lost (though his Medal of Honor scores, in particular Underground and Frontline already hint at the development), come from the more contemporary classical tradition. While doing huge projects, often connected to beloved franchises (Jurassic Park, Mission: Impossible), Giacchino combines the big orchestral approach of the "yesteryear" (I know, unfair) with the modern approach preferring ostinati (again, I am aware that Giacchino's ostinati is a completely different ball game than, say John Powell or Hans Zimmer) and more restrained melodic and emotional approach. A lot of it is in the sound. It's harsher, more dissonant in its action approach (especially the post-Lost period, Mission: Impossible III with the exception of the Schifrin material is basically Lost on steroids played with a full orchestra rather than the limited ensemble he had on the series, focusing on percussion, strings and brass). But his dramatic material is also interesting, because it is not mostly simple (sometimes a tad simplistic) melodies, but also a specific, sul ponticello based choice of articulation. That already strains the emotions and making it way subtler, for many all-too subtle, than a fully fledged romantic theme would be. In that way, Michael Giacchino would be on the opposite side of the spectrum of someone like the sadly late James Horner, whose themes not only were highly melodic, but also highly expressive.

Maybe to some people Giacchino seems to have stopped half-way and not really fully getting into the films and maybe even orchestration. A harsher, yet more restrained approach, may make some (perhaps that's where Thor is coming from!) roll their eyes. But I think it's a viable approach. Using the structure that made the past scores so amazing for everyone, yet giving it enough modern touch (though in terms of the classical tradition rather than, say, electronica or rock/pop/whatever influences that may permeate a lot of the mainstream scores today) to adapt to the modern, more visceral, cinematic aesthetics. That's what I think.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2016 edited
    NP: A CHRISTMAS CAROL (Alan Silvestri)

Perfect for the current holiday season.
    I am extremely serious.