• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Cutthroat Island - John Debney (LLL reissue)

The fiddle in "The Battle" has never sounded better.
  2. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Ghostbusters (2016) - Theodore Shapiro

First Shapiro in my collection, mostly because I am ignorant of the films he has scored so far.
    This is very accessible. Choir and pipe organ make for the Gothic mood. Fine score if not something terribly special.

There is a theme in this (e.g. in I Will Lead Them All), that reminds me of Cliff Eidelman's Main Theme from Star Trek VI. Only the concluding two notes are missing. On second listen the score leaves a bigger impression.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. NP: War Volcanoes - Thierry Malet

Malet uses a lot of tension-generating low string ostinato patterns for the rivalry between two vulcanologists featured in this French documentary.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Sensoria - Frank Ilfman

Referring to the likes of Poltergeist and The Omen in the promotional blurb sets this score up for a fall. Rather, it's a by-the-numbers creepy score that seems to need to resort to adding children's voices to try and make it more creepy.

And are those wordless vocals real? They sound quite artificial.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2016
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Cutthroat Island - John Debney (LLL reissue)

The fiddle in "The Battle" has never sounded better.

It's mixed too loud now but at least we can hear it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2016 edited
    Love your Star Trek playlist, Captain; I'm just wondering about the Katra Ritual track. Were you looking for something to offer a break from the "standard" stuff, or do you have any special sympathies for the track because of reasons?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR TREK: BEYOND (Michael Giacchino)

Except the expansive main theme, this is absolutely dreadful. I had to turn it off midway, and immediately deleted it. Another brick well cemented into my wall of distaste against this composer.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. rolleyes

I mean, I don't get it. I can see not clicking with a composer's voice but to find a score like Star Trek Beyond (which is no great shakes, but which is competently written and orchestrated and has a number of interesting individual cues and thematic aspects to it) "dreadful" just seems alien to me. What is so "wrong" with it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What's wrong with it? Basically everything that is wrong with Giacchino when he does "action" -- endless assaults of directionless bombast, "faking" the appearance of themes (except the main theme) behind pretty orchestrations and chord progressions and having very little dynamic range and/or interest in terms of textures. For me, he's the epitome of the Emperor's New Clothes, and this is another great example of that.

Not "clicking with him" is saying it mildly.

And no, please don't ask me to provide specific examples within specific cues. I've already deleted the soundtrack, and will have nothing more to do with it. Moving on....
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Giacchino is great and I place his trilogy of Trek scores not too far away from that far away trilogy. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's rather comforting to me that we have these few massive areas of disagreement, Volker (Giacchino, how soundtracks should be presented etc.), when we have so much overlap in musical taste otherwise.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LA TORTUE ROGUE/THE RED TURTLE (Laurent Perez Del Mar)

Aaaah.....needed an antidote. This is -- simply put -- one of the best soundtracks of the year; sublime music for this recent Ghibli (co)production.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Love your Star Trek playlist, Captain; I'm just wondering about the Katra Ritual track. Were you looking for something to offer a break from the "standard" stuff, or do you have any special sympathies for the track because of reasons?

I actually love the ethnic flavours that Horner assigns to the culture of Vulcan. This is IMO what sets his second Trek score apart from his first one. Other then than I find it rather derivative.
    Maybe Horner's music is a bit overrepresented in that list. On the other hand: It works for me. smile
  8. NP: STAR TREK BEYOND (2016) - Michael Giacchino

The musical grandeur of the final frontier. Marvellous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor's general film music rules.

1) We like, Thor must hate it
    2) Thor likes it because the rest of us hate it.

He finds comfort in disagreement. That says it all right there.

Anyway, just read Tom's signature for advise on how to deal with this. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not at all. If anything, it makes me extra pissed that I dislike stuff like STAR TREK: BEYOND and Giacchino when everyone else seems to like it.

But I do have a theory as to why these 'big', mainstream, classical symphonic scores don't intrigue me anymore -- it has partially do with how my own taste has developped and partially with how these scores actually SOUND compared to the ones I used to love in the 90s (and before). That's a topic better suited for another thread, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    What's wrong with it? Basically everything that is wrong with Giacchino when he does "action" -- endless assaults of directionless bombast, "faking" the appearance of themes (except the main theme) behind pretty orchestrations and chord progressions and having very little dynamic range and/or interest in terms of textures. For me, he's the epitome of the Emperor's New Clothes, and this is another great example of that.

Not "clicking with him" is saying it mildly.

And no, please don't ask me to provide specific examples within specific cues. I've already deleted the soundtrack, and will have nothing more to do with it. Moving on....

Not liking a certain composer's music is fine and dandy. Yet IMO you don't "fake" themes with pretty (sic!) orchestrations and chord progressions. You devise them that way. For you it my seem hollow, for me it doesn't.

PS: "Night on the Yorktown" has to be one of the most beautiful cues in all Trek music. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Not liking a certain composer's music is fine and dandy. Yet IMO you don't "fake" themes with pretty (sic!) orchestrations and chord progressions.

I agree -- you don't do that. It's cheap. Yet Giacchino does it, time and again, and people LOVE it. I'm not even sure he's aware of it, or if he's simply not talented enough to develop it further.

But the main STAR TREK theme is fine; the one that's been running through the whole reboot franchise. A drop of decency in an ocean of mediocrity.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. the new new bourne - by Powell and Buckley. Oh it's pretty bad. But how are you sure it's Buckley's fault? i mean it could possibly be, yes. But this also sounds like standard bored powell in quick cash-in mode too.

Largely because even a standard Powell score isn't this bland, and partly because Buckley is given credit on the front cover of the album. That's rather telling.

Powell in his uninspired mode is something like this album here, imo. Not much difference. And Buckley isn't that bad, he has done the gorgeous 'the forbidden kingdom' too.

What would you consider "Powell in his uninspired mode"?

Not scores as a whole. But various in-between score filler pieces he writes in his scores, feel to me, like auto-pilotish passages up to the real 4-5 highlights in each album. In fact many of his scores feel like that to me. A collection of great 4-5 highlight standouts and a lot of filler in between. Stuff like green zone, fair game, knight and day, and almost all of his animated sequel scores.

Hm, okay. But most scores excepting the really rare treasures and masterpieces are like that. You've got your highlights, your not-quite-as-highlights and your filler. (And I couldn't even find 4-5 highlight standouts in Fair Game, so perhaps you're a kinder man than me. tongue )

Yes, those fair game and green zones scores are difficult smile as for the animated movies, his sequel scores really do nothing for me as a whole.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. NP: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) - Leonard Rosenman

For many reasons that I just don't care to state here, I don't like this score. (In sharp contrast to other works by the composer.) I refer to Christian Clemmensen's review on Flimtracks that nails it for me.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) - Leonard Rosenman

For many reasons that I just don't care to state here, I don't like this score. (In sharp contrast to other works by the composer.) I refer to Christian Clemmensen's review on "Flimtracks" that nails it for me.

Volker

I like Rosenman's Trek score, yes it's way down below JG, JH and Eidelman's efforts but it has an earthy, grounded sound that is appropriate to that film.

By coincidence I'm playing Rosenman...

NP : CHARLTON HESTON PRESENTS THE BIBLE - Leonard Rosenman

Not heard this before, it's on Spotify and I'm enjoying it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. I think the dramatic and the comic aspects of the story aren't balanced in the score. Jerry Fielding did a much better job that way in the TOS "Tribbles" episode. Furthermore Rosenman's musical "language" is too far removed from what Goldsmith and Horner did before.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It doesn't bother me but I see your point.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I know this will probably get Cobweb's knickers in a twist, but I've never cared for Rosenman in any of the scores I've heard. Although the "pastiche" cues in ST4 (like "Hospital Escape" or whatever it's called, or the more thematic, spacey music) are pleasant enough.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. STIV: TVH ws bad enough, the last thing it needed was a score that reflected the comedic elements on screen like the referenced Jerry Fiedling. In fact, I'm glad no Trek film did that. Imagine humorous "Wah wah waaahhh" music was Kirk and Spock descended down the turboshaft after the marshmallows comment in ST V: TFF or swingin' night club music as Uhura did her naked fan dance in ST V: TFF.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  13. They could all have done with some Beastie Boys though. smile

Btw: The film TVH I enjoy immensely. And my favourite Rosenman score is LoR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    STAR TREK was always tremendously campy, so the leap to comedy isn't that big (neither in tone nor music).
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Some of my favorite Rosenman scores:

"Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"
    "The Face on the Milk Carton"
    "The Other Side of Hell"
    "In Broad Daylight"
    "Convits 4"
    "Any Second Now"

(sadly only the first one has had a release)

A good deal, though not necessarily all, of "The Keeper of the City"

To a lesser extent, the more low-key "Circles in the Forest".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'Sophie and the BFG' (end credits) John Williams

I've played this track multiple times now, and I have to admit I love it. It's sufficiently magical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2016
    The Rocketeer - James Horner

More than adequate.