• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016 edited
    Just for curiousity's sake:

If I were to choose and organize the Tadlow tracks in exactly the same order as the Varese, would that be possible? Theoretically, if the performance is that much better, I could download only those tracks from the set and "replace" them with the Varese.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I'm not hugely familiar with the original Varese presentation (my first exposure to the score was through the rerecording and I've only listened to the original once or twice out of curiosity), but glancing at the tracklists side by side, I'd have to say it doesn't look like it, unfortunately. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016
    sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I always think originals do have their place. It is, after all, the original.

Yeah, but in this case Basil loathed the original recordings and performances.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. A.I. - John Williams

Like the film, the score's different parts don't cohere successfully, but I hail Monica's theme as one of Williams's best. The theme tells a searching, innocent story, and so beautifully. I often come back to this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    J. Flaherty wrote
    A.I. - John Williams

Like the film, the score's different parts don't cohere successfully, but I hail Monica's theme as one of Williams's best. The theme tells a searching, innocent story, and so beautifully. I often come back to this one.

One of -- if not THE -- best film of the 2000s, one of the strongest scores of the 2000s and on the overall Top 10 Williams. Can't praise this highly enough.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    J. Flaherty wrote
    A.I. - John Williams

Like the film, the score's different parts don't cohere successfully,.

Coherency is overrated. What matters more here is that all the different parts are brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

If I were to choose and organize the Tadlow tracks in exactly the same order as the Varese, would that be possible? Theoretically, if the performance is that much better, I could download only those tracks from the set and "replace" them with the Varese.

I think it can be done? I think also some track titles are changed so that can add to confusion. Why not give the Tadlow album a listen Thor.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I always think originals do have their place. It is, after all, the original.

Yeah, but in this case Basil loathed the original recordings and performances.

-Erik-

Yes, the performances are not the best. But I always think that the originals do have an appeal. I remember getting the original version of Steiner's She and thinking it pretty much unlistenable - even after it had been worked on to improve the sound. But, the re-recording elevated the score significantly. But I would still listen to the original.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Thor wrote
    One of -- if not THE -- best film of the 2000s.

shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Thor wrote

shocked

Yeah, I've been having this long debate with someone over at FSM about whether or not it's possible to say that a film or score (or any piece of art, really) can be 'misunderstood' when you defend it. I think it certainly can, while my opponent thinks it can't (because -- in his view -- it implies the critical voice is "wrong"). In any case, A.I. is certainly such a film -- heavily misunderstood, but only now getting the credit it deserves. Fortunately.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I think it can be done? I think also some track titles are changed so that can add to confusion. Why not give the Tadlow album a listen Thor.

I think I listened to some samples when it came out. Sounded impressive. But the C&C presentation killed the whole thing for me.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Thor wrote

shocked

Yeah, I've been having this long debate with someone over at FSM about whether or not it's possible to say that a film or score (or any piece of art, really) can be 'misunderstood' when you defend it. I think it certainly can, while my opponent thinks it can't (because -- in his view -- it implies the critical voice is "wrong"). In any case, A.I. is certainly such a film -- heavily misunderstood, but only now getting the credit it deserves. Fortunately.

Well certainly, films and scores can be misunderstood but emerge from under that initial misunderstanding years later, unblemished. Views can be revised. I agree with that.

I think A.I. is a fascinating failure of a film.
    The storyline, taken apart from the production, is beautiful. A robot survives humanity's extinction, preserves the best of human love, and in the end chooses not life but an ephemeral, artificial dream world -- a death for David, and the only place his love can be fulfilled. A brilliant story!

But there are just so many missteps. Jude Law needed to be reined in. Brendan Gleeson is completely miscast. The film's second half -- say what you want about its tonal departures from the first -- the second half does not hold together. Motivation, setting, cause and effect -- it's all jumbled, and not in a way that's convincing or purposeful. Poor Haley Joel Osment does a valiant job veering from innocent to murderous to suicidal to innocent again, but the character by then feels patched together and forced.

I revisited the film earlier this year, so I've given this some thought lately.
    Many, many superior films came out in the 2000s.
  6. J. Flaherty wrote
    Thor wrote

shocked

"A.I." is one of the most overrated mediocre skippable science fiction films in decades with so many glaring flaws it can't even reach a runner-up category.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. I think A.I is brilliant in just any respect.

NP: The Terminator (1984) - Brad Fiedel

I spotted Milan's recent re-release in a store today and bought it on impulse. It sounds great but I cannot compare this to the "definitive" edition because I hardly ever listened to it. A a matter of fact I don't know, if I will ever listen to this edition in its entirety ever after. But, you know ... what the heck! This is one of the most iconic sifi scores ever, and sifi scores form the basis of my collection. The gorgeous art work alone makes it worth the money.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I think A.I is brilliant in just any respect.

You tell 'em, Volker!

Unfortunately, I do not currently have the stamina for another A.I. defense. I've had many of them over the years, and I have enough material to fill a book. Or at least a post that will make Pawel's look like a haiku poem in comparison. Maybe later.

It's not only a film that is EXTREMELY personal to me; it also comes VERY close to being a perfect film, period. In every way. Not a lot of films I can say that about. I've seen it at least 30-40 times, and for each time a new layer (both philosophically and visually) reveals itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2016
    I'm with Thor.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've seen A.I. four times. A bad film wouldn't get that from me. My favourite JW score this century.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    My favourite JW score this century.

It's not an easy choice given the options, but I might have to agree. It's a very personal score, much like ET (I believe we had a score vs score many moons ago on this point partly for their two-letter abbreviations).
  8. NP: Nosferatu - Hans Erdmann

A rip of the score for the restored DVD release of the 1922 movie with Erdmann's score reconstructed and played by the Radio Symphony Orchestra Saarbrücken, conducted by Berndt Heller. It's an excellent score - much more sweeping and romantic than you would expect. So far at least.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They had film scores in 1922?
  9. Yes, but they were mostly performed live. Off hand I can't say any were recorded that early. Even earlier, too.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Early sound films had music recorded onto discs that were played to synchronise with the pictures. A quick search throws up Don Juan (1926), with uncredited music by William Axt and David Mendoza. Recording a soundtrack onto film didn't appear until the 1930s.
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Nosferatu - Hans Erdmann

A rip of the score for the restored DVD release of the 1922 movie with Erdmann's score reconstructed and played by the Radio Symphony Orchestra Saarbrücken, conducted by Berndt Heller. It's an excellent score - much more sweeping and romantic than you would expect. So far at least.

I have the CD with a certain Gillian Anderson conducting the Brandenburg Philharmonics. Very good!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  12. Captain Future wrote

NP: The Terminator (1984) - Brad Fiedel

The gorgeous art work alone makes it worth the money.

Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2016 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Early sound films had music recorded onto discs that were played to synchronise with the pictures. A quick search throws up Don Juan (1926), with uncredited music by William Axt and David Mendoza. Recording a soundtrack onto film didn't appear until the 1930s.

True, but the first feature film to have bits of synchronized dialogue (and hence usually hailed as the first sound film or "talkie" ever, since it had all elements in place and was the one successful film that made an impact in the industry) was THE JAZZ SINGER in 1927. DON JUAN only had music and some sound effects, and was not a particularly big success. But they both used the same "disc" system, basically.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember which film was the first to have sound embedded on the film strip. You can probably find out by googling around.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EX MACHINA (Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow)

The best film last year, by far, and although the score is quite challenging in places, it's ultimately a rewarding experience.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Early sound films had music recorded onto discs that were played to synchronise with the pictures. A quick search throws up Don Juan (1926), with uncredited music by William Axt and David Mendoza. Recording a soundtrack onto film didn't appear until the 1930s.

True, but the first feature film to have bits of synchronized dialogue (and hence usually hailed as the first sound film or "talkie" ever, since it had all elements in place and was the one successful film that made an impact in the industry) was THE JAZZ SINGER in 1927. DON JUAN only had music and some sound effects, and was not a particularly big success. But they both used the same "disc" system, basically.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember which film was the first to have sound embedded on the film strip. You can probably find out by googling around.

True, but I was only talking about the use of a music score. I've not seen The Jazz Singer but isn't the actual amount of talking in the film surprisingly small?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    True, but I was only talking about the use of a music score. I've not seen The Jazz Singer but isn't the actual amount of talking in the film surprisingly small?

It is.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, very small. But still, it was the first to do so.
    I am extremely serious.