• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Tonight I saw the premiere of Christopher Gordon's Horn Concerto, titled 'Lightfall'. I don't have much to say except that I loved it, and I can't believe I know the guy who wrote it. Much as I like his film music (and there's some great stuff around the corner from that front), it's these extended meditative pieces he's written that I really connect with.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009
    Is it anything like his 'event music', that's all I want to know? Or it is technical for the sake of being technical? (Which I hate, even if it's by Gordon.)
  2. Nothing like the sporting event music. You can't do fanfares in a concert hall these days. It'd be a bit weird. Sport kind of has a justification for the heroic stuff.
    This piece is not a world away from his Bass Trombone concerto, which can be heard on his website. The influence of John Adams (in part) and Bartok seemed clear in this new piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mmm. Advanced harmonies and 20th century influences?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah yes, I've listened to those clips. Interesting, but not something I would return to very often. But I still definitely want to hear this Horn Concerto.

Shame that 'fanfares' are considered weird in a concert setting unless they have a context. If I were ever to write for a concert hall (which is more unlikely than Elvis performing another concert), I'd write nothing but fanfares. Fuck rules.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven, the trouble with that sort of music is that people might actually want to hear it and so might turn up to attend the concert. Such things simply cannot be allowed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    True!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. The absence of fanfares is not so hard to explain. These guys have to do that sort of stuff a lot for films. They're surely going to play around with things they wouldn't normally get to do in film when they get the podium. John Williams did it, Jerry Goldsmith did it...

I don't go out of my way to enjoy late 20th century classical music. What I can say is that despite there being a enthralling performance of the Dvorak cello concerto, and a lovely reading of a Handel concerto, this piece was the most gripping for me. It flew by. The first movement was dark and powerful, the second encouraging and optimistic without being sentimental.

His writing for brass is truly wonderful. For those who've heard the Circa piece on his website, there's a hint of that too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I hope I get to hear it some day. Gordon is such a fine composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    The absence of fanfares is not so hard to explain. These guys have to do that sort of stuff a lot for films. They're surely going to play around with things they wouldn't normally get to do in film when they get the podium. John Williams did it, Jerry Goldsmith did it...

I think the attraction of Gordon's "event" music, at least of his Melbourne Commonwealth Games music which is the only one I've heard, is not the "fanfares" per se, but the intensely moving and uplifting melodic segments which are very rarely heard in film music anymore.

I mean, who wants to match a film that actually leaves you feeling good about life? rolleyes
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    The absence of fanfares is not so hard to explain. These guys have to do that sort of stuff a lot for films. They're surely going to play around with things they wouldn't normally get to do in film when they get the podium. John Williams did it, Jerry Goldsmith did it...

Yep, and I never listen to them!

But I AM interested to hear Gordon's work of course, he's one of my favourites without a shadow of a doubt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    Steven, the trouble with that sort of music is that people might actually want to hear it and so might turn up to attend the concert. Such things simply cannot be allowed.

Re-reading this, I feel the need to clarify that I was commenting on 21st century concert music in general. I'm quite sure I would love Gordon's new work if I got to hear it - and I'd be first in line for tickets if it were performed over here!
  4. Scribe wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I think the attraction of Gordon's "event" music, at least of his Melbourne Commonwealth Games music which is the only one I've heard, is not the "fanfares" per se, but the intensely moving and uplifting melodic segments which are very rarely heard in film music anymore.

I mean, who wants to match a film that actually leaves you feeling good about life? rolleyes

This is true. He seems to be able to do uplifting music in a way few others get away with. Even John Williams can come across as sentimental. There's a slight edge of maturity to Gordon's optimism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009 edited
    All good points. But that wordwide (at least pan-european to a large degree, but spread to other countries too sadly) notion that "proper" concert music today should have no thematic structure, no melodic presence and walk on the lines of atonalism / serialism and sound design, otherwise you're considered a mediocre composer or even worse - someone who writes commercially (as if it ever were a recipe for commercial musical success) it's pathetic to say the least.

[edit] At this point i have to clarify though that i haven't heard the said Gordon composition, i am talking more generally.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Pure jealosy from composers who can't write a tune. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    Pure jealosy from composers who can't write a tune. wink

Not always.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's alright Michael, I know it's not as black & white as that. wink
  6. Turns out you can watch this. Streaming webcast here:
    http://bigpondvideo.com/classical/207618
    It's 'Meet the Concerto, Part 3'.

And a local review:
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st … 47,00.html
  7. Did anyone listen to the Horn Concerto?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009
    New Gordon CD?

http://christophergordon.net/news/?p=205

smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. Ooooh... today is the 16th. I know where I'll be going at lunch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ooooh... today is the 16th. I know where I'll be going at lunch.

KFC?
  9. Actually, there's this lovely little sushi place on the corner that makes the most divine...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    KFC?
  10. Nominated for an AFI award for Best Original score for MAO'S LAST DANCER:

http://www.afi.org.au/AM/ContentManager … _Nominees2
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009
    Daybreakers will be released by Silva Screen on January 18th...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2009
    That's good news. cool
  11. It's certainly worth investigating.

I popped over to Silva on hearing the news of this release and I see that they are already selling a download version of Mychael and Jeff Danna's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. From the clips there's certainly a hint of Jeff's The Gospel of John in the orchestrations (at least from the first track) and it's one I'll be looking into when I get home later.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. DAYBREAKERS is great. Good to see it's finally coming out.
  13. That's the score you witnessed scoring sessions of?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website