• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010
    Southall wrote
    Once again I will mention Ice Man. I only heard it once but was highly impressed.

Coupled with A Town Like Alice it's the ONLY Smeaton CD I have.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Where do you find these things!? confused
  1. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Review of Daybreakers

- Daybreakers

I've already ordered this and look forward to hearing it, good review Thomas, we'll see if I agree.

seeing the rating for now, it seems most people agree
    anyway, if you fancy your effectiveness over your listening pleasure, and your brilliance over your thematic taste, you'll agree for sure ...

... I hope tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I don't know if I've heard the scores that put Smeaton on the level of Gordon as a composer. Finding out that his Picnic at Hanging Rock score was re-tread of the temp track ('Hall of the mountain grill') was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Unless you see the films you aren't going to hear him either. The Devil's Playground ( about sexual awakenings in an all boys school ) and mystical martial arts flick The Silent Flute are both holy grail scores for me.

I always confuse him with Bruce Rowland.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Why not? They all put prawns on barbees.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Ah yes, THE DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND. That one is pretty good. I don't know ICE MAN or SILENT FLUTE though. What a shame his work is hard to appreciate (by virtue of not being available).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010 edited
    The Silent Flute is also known as Circle of Iron.

HERE

The film is very entertaining if you ever happen to catch it on a Sunday afternoon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Is it not so interesting on other days?

I say good fellow, can you pass me my coat?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...HERE! don't stop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    Once again I will mention Ice Man. I only heard it once but was highly impressed.

I saw a video clip over at FSM that features Bruce Smeaton talking about his use of the shakutachi in his score for Iceman - and it features a clip from the beginning of Iceman (and the theme).

The theme sounded quite nice and then I came across a suite from Iceman. My first experience of this score - and I think I'll keep an eye out for this on CD...though with an asking price of £95.00 on Amazon I may pass!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Can anyone help me out with finding some of Gordon's less available music? I've been looking around for Sidney, Story of a City, his Rugby World Cup music, and his Commonwealth Games, Melbourne 2006 music. Are there actually CD releases of this stuff? I've pretty well failed at finding any of them available online anywhere, but I figured some of you folks might have a much better idea of where to look. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010
    I saw DAYBREAKERS last night. The man's music is fantastic. I remember thinking to myself whilst watching, how differently and blatantly would such a movie be scored by an average hollywood-residing composer or an rc member; the man brings musical intelligence in the movies he scores and he elevated the visuals and the story greatly. It was very impressive to observe the minimalistic, slightly atonal at places string lines hypnotize you and draw you into the movie's atmosphere and on the other hand, excite and move you when he went dramatic (particularly through a very strong scene in the movie) and of course the action scenes underlined by bold percussion. Impressed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't given Daybreakers a chance yet, I've only listened once, liked it, and now it's been months since I've played it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's a complex and deeply clever score; in the film it works wonders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My review for DAYBREAKERS here.

http://www.demetrischristodoulides.com/ … ybreakers/
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    christopher wrote
    Can anyone help me out with finding some of Gordon's less available music? I've been looking around for Sidney, Story of a City, his Rugby World Cup music, and his Commonwealth Games, Melbourne 2006 music. Are there actually CD releases of this stuff? I've pretty well failed at finding any of them available online anywhere, but I figured some of you folks might have a much better idea of where to look. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Ebay is your best chance. I've seen Melbourne pop up on there at least once.

also, the internet
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    My review for DAYBREAKERS here.

http://www.demetrischristodoulides.com/ … ybreakers/

Nice review. I completely agree, except I haven't seen the film...but I've listened to the score a number of times. Very hypnotizing and moving, full of personality.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    It's a complex and deeply clever score; in the film it works wonders.

the score is indeed good, can't wait to see the movie as well, it will enhance the experience undoubtedly
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't expect too much off the movie; It's entertaining alright, but nothing matching the score's quality in any case.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Don't expect too much off the movie; It's entertaining alright, but nothing matching the score's quality in any case.

the trailer looks pretty decent, I think I know what to expect smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I already said it's "entertaining" wink
  6. a couple of Christopher Gordon reviews:

- Commonwealth Games 2006
    - Mao's Last Dancer
    - On the Beach

Enjoy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010
    Mao's last dancer is one of the most beautiful scores of the decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010
    Christopher Gordon discusses film scoring and concert work on this video interview:

http://www.apra-amcos.com.au/about/medi … 110#videos

Just select his panel on the bottom half of the page.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010
    Thank you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010 edited
    Mao's Last Dancer scoring session footage.
    http://www.christophergordon.net/MaosLastDancer.html

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2010
    Absolutely gorgeous score, thanks for the link Erik, keep em coming!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012

7. not one of his best, that I'm sure of
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012
    Crawl is a very good score but the highlight on that album is the splendid Ward 13!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!