• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    Ouch. Does that mean one less person with whom you can discuss "Golden Age" scores, then?

Tom done shot hisself in the foot!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I wouldn't take that too seriously. (Although you are, of course, extremely serious.) Just as a hint maybe that this isn't an online workshop for media studies.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I wouldn't take that too seriously. (Although you are, of course, extremely serious.) Just as a hint maybe that this isn't an online workshop for media studies.

Hey, I was not the one asking for specification of terms. What's the point of 11 years of studies and teaching if I can't make use of it now and then? I just responded to the original topic. I wasn't aware that it was so controversial to add information.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016
    I want to discuss film scores with you. Just having a little fun
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I just made that my new signature. Thanks Erik

lol

Brilliant!

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    smile smile smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2016
    as long as I started with Waxman let's continue our talk about him some more. His early score was "The Bride of Frankenstein" (1935) and was a different approach to scoring a horror movie. One can clearly hear not only frightening parts but classical influences as well as the Hollywood sound which he was a great part of. Is anyone of the opinion that this was his best score? I have the recording from Silva which I think is as complete as you can get. Opinion? Comments? Please. I especially want to hear Thor's thoughts as he is quite knowledgeable.
    Tom smile
  2. Franz Waxman is represented in my collection with
    Objective Burma
    Peyton Place
    Rebecca
    and
    Taras Bulba
    all of witch are re-recordings. I am especially a fan of "Peyton Place" and "Taras Bulba". PP is among the most gripping romantic scores I know whereas TB is deeply rooted in Slavic musical traditions and is very compelling that way.

Also I have in my collection the dedicated album by Charles Gerhardt "Sunset Boulevard".

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2016 edited
    sdtom wrote
    as long as I started with Waxman let's continue our talk about him some more. His early score was "The Bride of Frankenstein" (1935) and was a different approach to scoring a horror movie. One can clearly hear not only frightening parts but classical influences as well as the Hollywood sound which he was a great part of. Is anyone of the opinion that this was his best score? I have the recording from Silva which I think is as complete as you can get. Opinion? Comments? Please. I especially want to hear Thor's thoughts as he is quite knowledgeable.
    Tom smile

Cheers, Tom! wink

I only have the 7-minute suite from BRIDE on the LEGENDS OF HOLLYWOOD, VOL. 2 compilation (I obviously have all four volumes of this lavish Varese/Waxman project -- which all film music fans should own!), and I think you're right that it's one of the earliest Hollywood scores to combine horror with romanticism this way. I saw the film ages ago, and remember it looking like an extension of what was happening in German expressionism the decade before.

It's not my favourite Waxman, though. I think that would be PEYTON PLACE (same as Volker above) with honourable mentions to TARAS BULBA, THE SILVER CHALICE, NIGHT AND THE CITY and A CHRISTMAS CAROL.

I also have a soft spot for HEMINGWAY'S ADVENTURES OF A YOUNG MAN, if only because John Williams plays piano on it (but it's a nice score in and of itself too).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. sdtom wrote
    Tom smile

As I am not very knowledgeable about Franz Waxman (frankly - Silver Chalice, Sunset Blvd. and Peyton Place may just be it, really), what is the availability of this particular score? Is the Silva available digitally?

I'd be definitely interested in hearing Taras Bulba and I'm bound to review Sunset Blvd. as our Polish website is running a little review series on Golden Age scores. I just published North by Northwest today. The other review except that and Sunset Blvd. is Citizen Kane. Frankly, I picked these three because I own the McNeely recording of the first Herrmann score and I wanted to finally make myself watch the other films.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Bride-of-Fr … 2155212208

The price is $12.00 and it also includes "Invisible Ray" a decent film starring Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016
    Another score that I really like is "Prince Valiant" which takes you back to some of the Korngold/Steiner material. I'm still deciding which one I'm going to choose. I have a lot of feeling for Sunset Blvd. His material really contributed to the greatness of the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2016
    PRINCE VALIANT is OK, but as you say, it's more in the vein of Korngold and Steiner -- it's more 'retrospective' that way -- and I prefer Waxman when he's more modern in tone (or especially how he combines neo-classicism with modernism).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    PRINCE VALIANT is OK, but as you say, it's more in the vein of Korngold and Steiner -- it's more 'retrospective' that way -- and I prefer Waxman when he's more modern in tone (or especially how he combines neo-classicism with modernism).

I agree. It's a fine score but no where near my favourite Waxman for the reasons you stated.

As for the film I'm sure it must be at the very top of your list for accuracy in cinematic Viking portrayal.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I agree. It's a fine score but no where near my favourite Waxman for the reasons you stated.

As for the film I'm sure it must be at the very top of your list for accuracy in cinematic Viking portrayal.

He, he...never seen the film. But no one has yet made a respectable viking film in the history of cinema, so it may join the club of failed attempts.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    To be fair the film is good fun, lots of silly arsed Vikings with horns on their helmets pillaging and shit wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I believe that "Prince Valiant" is a favorite score of Erik's if my memory serves me correctly.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Let's take a vote unless there are others for us to talk about. "A Place in the Sun," which has one of the more beautiful sax solos? "Demetrius and the Gladiators?""Dark Passage?" "Spirit of St. Louis?"

After much thought I have to choose "Sunset Boulevard" for it's unique offering of Waxman style, jazz, classical and most importantly it fits the film perfectly. The Sony CD with Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic is a great introduction to the film world of Franz Waxman.
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/ … 1906-1967/

Your vote mt members
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    https://wordpress.com/post/sdtom.wordpress.com/11
    another short writing on Waxman and the film
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    https://wordpress.com/post/sdtom.wordpress.com/9
    Another writing
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    https://wordpress.com/post/sdtom.wordpress.com/9
    Another writing
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    https://wordpress.com/post/sdtom.wordpress.com/1041

Another writing on the film
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This is a favorite classical arrangement of mine. Waxman hit the nails well.
    https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/ … by-waxman/
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Would be nice for us if Bregt would publish all of this information for us on the site
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2016 edited
    Best Waxman sax solo (Best "WaxSax"?)? Hmmm, I don't know. I can't even remember which scores have sax and which have other forms of brass. I'd need to play a few cues first. Certainly, SUNSET BOULEVARD and A PLACE IN THE SUN are contenders. What about DARK CITY? Didn't that have sax?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2016
    Yes it did my friend. I'm so glad you're a member of this forum. I love to talk about older scores. Right now I'm listening to Don Juan and it really was the template for Korngold
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2016
    At least I can discuss with you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2016 edited
    Well, thanks, but I think we are at least a handful or two here who like to talk "Golden Age" now and then -- given the opportunity.

Talking about Waxman and solo instruments, I'd also like to give a shout-out to his piano writing. Stuff like THE PARADINE CASE, POSESSED and HEMINGWAY'S ADVENTURES OF A YOUNG MAN almost play out like piano concerti at times!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2016
    sdtom wrote
    Another score that I really like is "Prince Valiant" which takes you back to some of the Korngold/Steiner material. I'm still deciding which one I'm going to choose. I have a lot of feeling for Sunset Blvd. His material really contributed to the greatness of the movie.

Absolutely brilliant and is one of my top 20 scores of all time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. I will gladly join the discussion when I became more knowledgeable about the era. Waxman, Steiner, Tiomkin are the composers, for example, I know very weak, though if I had to choose a composer I know the worst, that'd be Tiomkin or Steiner (though with Steiner I at least know some suites, thanks to Martijn and his gift to me of the Gerhard Humphrey Bogart compilation). The composers I know the best (though still not THE best) are Alfred Newman, Miklos Rozsa and Bernard Herrmann. I like Herrmann and Newman the most, personally.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website