• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I honestly don't get this, this was just released by La-La Land, and they release it again? Okay, it's sold out, but still, I find this a little weird

still, good for those who couldn't get it at first

STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER (2CD)

Label: Intrada MAF 7119
    Date: 1989
    Tracks: 42
    Time = 131:51

For those that missed spectacular limited 2-CD presentation from La-La Land label, Intrada brings powerhouse Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack back as per desire of licensor to see title remain available in ongoing STAR TREK soundtrack series. William Shatner stars, directs fifth feature installment of legendary series, employs familiar original cast in tale of hostages, quest for meaning in life, other ambitious plot ideas. Goldsmith anchors with famed Enterprise theme but ingeniously focuses on incredibly flexible four-note triad-ish motif that plays in all manner of guise: aggressively bowed in low cellos, tentatively played by upper strings, crisply punched by trumpets, elongated by triumphant French horns, so forth. Rich major-key theme for Kirk ("A Busy Man") adds warmth while pulsating action cues ("Open The Gates", "Raid On Paradise", "Let's Get Out Of Here") excite! Score also makes terrific use of dynamic theme for Klingons, introduced in first feature. Array of alternates plus remastered presentation of original 1989 soundtrack album round out stunning audio treat, mastered from original digital session elements. All musical content plus liner notes by Trek authority Jeff Bond are identical to earlier 2-CD release. New packaging by Joe Sikoryak brings artwork design in keeping with other Intrada/Film Score Monthly STAR TREK releases. Jerry Goldsmith conducts.

CD 1: THE FILM SCORE
    01. Nimbus III 2:01
    02. The Mind-Meld 2:43
    03. The Mountain [Main Title]*
    04. The Big Drop 0:26
    05. Raid On Paradise 2:43
    06. Not Alone 1:11
    07. Target Practice 1:52
    08. A Tall Ship 1:43
    09. Plot Course 1:46
    10. No Harm 2:13
    11. Approaching Nimbus III 2:59
    12. Open The Gates 3:01
    13. Well Done 1:16
    14. Without Help 4:55
    15. Pick It Up 2:31
    16. No Authority 0:30
    17. It Exists 1:47
    18. Free Minds 3:18
    19. The Birth 3:53
    20. The Barrier* 2:52
    21. A Busy Man 4:41
    22. An Angry God 6:57
    23. Let’s Get Out Of Here [Part 1] 3:42
    24. Let’s Get Out Of Here [Part 2] 3:07
    25. Cosmic Thoughts 1:16
    26. Life Is A Dream [End Credits]* 3:57
    Total Time: 73:07

CD 2: THE 1989 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM
    01. The Mountain* 3:50
    02. The Barrier* 2:51
    03. Without Help 4:18
    04. A Busy Man 4:40
    05. Open The Gates 3:00
    06. An Angry God 6:55
    07. Let’s Get Out Of Here 5:1
    08. Free Minds 3:17
    09. Life Is A Dream* 3:57
    10. The Moon’s A Window To Heaven† 4:00

Total Time: 42:22

ADDITIONAL MUSIC
    11. The Mountain [Main Title] (alternate)* 4:45
    12. A Busy Man (alternate) 4:42
    13. Paradise Saloon (source) 2:42
    14. The Moon’s A Window to Heaven (film version) 1:10
    15. Vulcan Song/Row, Row, Row Your Boat (source) 1:33
    16. Synclavier Effects 1:54
    Total Disc Time: 59:28
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. I wonder if "Open The Gates" (album version) was fixed for Intrada's release.

One of the things that annoyed me, aside from a remastering that lost the omph and certain detail qualities I liked about the Arista Records release (and not simply just keeping that master) was that they removed the metronome clicking in the cue on the Arista release, for the LLLR release.
    I always loved that sound clicking away, especially that breif moment when it gets quiet and you hear it clearly.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture (3-CD Set)
    Music by Jerry Goldsmith
    LLLCD 1207
    Limited Edition of 10000 Units

La-La Land Records, Sony Music and Paramount Pictures boldly go where no soundtrack reissue has gone before with this deluxe 3-CD set of 1979‘s Star Trek: The Motion Picture, composed and conducted by Jerry Goldsmith.

The first big screen voyage of Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock was a high budget and ambitious undertaking that introduced Goldsmith’s famous and enduring Star Trek march (later used as the main theme for Star Trek: The Next Generation) as the cornerstone of an epic science fiction musical odyssey. Like the film’s refit starship Enterprise, La-La Land’s lavish presentation presents the score anew: fully restored, remixed and mastered from the first generation multi-track masters by Bruce Botnick, the original album co-producer and Goldsmith’s long time scoring engineer.

“To put together the complete score the decision was to go back to the original Analogue 16-track 2-inch 30 i.p.s. masters,” Botnick explains. “John Davis at Precision Audiosonics baked each of the 37 rolls in a convection oven at 110º for eight hours so that they were playable, then rolled out a marvelous 3M 56 IsoLoop 16-track machine with brand new heads. The tapes were resolved at 60Hz to maintain the original orchestral pitch and sync. The Analogue-to-Digital transfer was done from the 16-track through the latest Black Lion A/D convertors and recorded to Pro Tools X at 192kHz 24-bit.”

This 3-CD set presents the score for the 1979 theatrical release (filling disc 1 and part of disc 2) and also premieres the legendary early “rejected” cues that Goldsmith recorded prior to composing his famous main theme. The 1979 album program (much of which is performed and edited differently as compared to the film) completes disc 2, with disc 3 offering additional alternates (including those heard on the previous Sony expanded release) along with a wealth of bonus material. Among the highlights are a collection of early takes of the “Main Title” (including extensive stage chatter), isolated segments featuring Craig Huxley’s famous “blaster beam” and assorted synthesizer excerpts, the domestic CD debut of Bob James’ disco cover version of Goldsmith’s theme and Shaun Cassidy’s vocal version of the love theme, “A Star Beyond Time.”

Reissue co-producer Mike Matessino (who handled restoration and editorial efforts) collaborates with Jeff Bond on the thoroughly researched album notes which feature interview excerpts by Goldsmith, Botnick and performers Huxley and David Newman. The clamshell packaging and 40-page full color booklet are designed by Jim Titus.

“It has been an honor to be able to work with the original recordings of this music and to document its production,” Matessino says. “This is one of the greatest scores of all time and everyone involved took the responsibility very seriously and happily devoted months to see it come together. The clarity and quality we now have is truly amazing. Thanks to the efforts of La-La Land Records, Sony Music and Paramount Pictures, the end product is an embarrassment of riches and a ‘must-have’ for every film music and Star Trek collection.”
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012
    Rather looking forward to this one!
  3. Southall wrote

I have again started the F5 early. Though 10,000 should be enough for everyone, shouldn't it?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012
    My life is complete! cool
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

I have again started the F5 early. Though 10,000 should be enough for everyone, shouldn't it?

No F5 needed now -- this is only the announcement. Won't go up for sale on their site until some hour June 5th.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. justin boggan wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

No F5 needed now -- this is only the announcement. Won't go up for sale on their site until some hour June 5th.

But I thought that if I started now then I would be sure of a copy if 10,000 was not enough. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Don't know whether I should get this. I think the 1998 Sony release has amazing sound and even though it's not complete, it has a good running time with all highlights present, at least those I've wanted.

Will check it out on release of course. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

It bloody well better be!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm more than content with my old Sony 2CD set (the second CD consisting of interviews).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I'm more than content with my old Sony 2CD set (the second CD consisting of interviews).

yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Me too. It's great music, particularly the main theme, Klingon theme and the stunning Ilia's theme, but I always switch off a bit in the second half of the existing expanded release so I'm not sure how much I'd get out of 3 discs worth. I know this will be considered sacrilege by many but it's far from my favourite Goldsmith Trek score. 

Still, I'll probably get caught up in the Internet fury, crumble and buy it! To me Goldsmith generally stands up to expansions more than most, so I'm sure I'll get something from it. And it sure looks purty in the picture!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If I'd said that over at FSM, I'd be killed, though. Literally.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. That's why I said it here, in the nice, sane, friendly place!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    John Chambers wrote
    That's why I said it here, in the nice, sane, friendly place!

My post was directed to Martijn, but you managed to sneak in just before. Still, it applies to yours as well. Balanced as your view is, whatever you do -- don't interupt a frenzy of "WOW! So cool!", "Ordered!", "I love you, La La Land, would you be my wife?" when a new Goldsmith expansion is announced at FSM. Not even with a balanced counterview. Salute or die!

So you've made a wise choice posting it here! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FSM certainly can be a bit more frenzied, which can be fun.
    At times.
    Not so much when you're in the dissenting camp, though.

Aside from Gilles going absolutely maniacally haywire over Hook, I think generally everyone here is quite a bit more equilibrious about releases.

Oh. Wait. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. John Chambers wrote
    Me too. It's great music, particularly the main theme, Klingon theme and the stunning Ilia's theme, but I always switch off a bit in the second half of the existing expanded release so I'm not sure how much I'd get out of 3 discs worth. I know this will be considered sacrilege by many but it's far from my favourite Goldsmith Trek score.

"...switch off a bit in the second half..." shocked

In some ways, it's Goldsmith's atmospheric "Vejur music" that I like most in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. That's not to say that I don't like the rest because there are so many excellent facets to this score. I've heard a lot of the alternate material that Goldsmith wrote already but to pour over the fruits of various peoples' research that (hopefully) will be included in the liner notes is something to really look forward to as well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Me too. It's great music, particularly the main theme, Klingon theme and the stunning Ilia's theme, but I always switch off a bit in the second half of the existing expanded release so I'm not sure how much I'd get out of 3 discs worth. I know this will be considered sacrilege by many but it's far from my favourite Goldsmith Trek score.

"...switch off a bit in the second half..." shocked

In some ways, it's Goldsmith's atmospheric "Vejur music" that I like most in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. That's not to say that I don't like the rest because there are so many excellent facets to this score. I've heard a lot of the alternate material that Goldsmith wrote already but to pour over the fruits of various peoples' research that (hopefully) will be included in the liner notes is something to really look forward to as well.

yeah

The older 2 disc set is excellent ( though I never play the second disc wink ) and I totally understand why this new addition won't be for everyone, for me though this score is the pinacle of JG's career and is in my top ten scores of all time, a total no-brainer buy for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Agreed!!! beer
  10. I'll get it if I get some financial stuff done with. Star Trek: TMP is a Goldsmith score I always wanted to own, but this set is just going to be expensive. Knowing that I have my namesday (a Polish festivity when you wish all the best to people who have the same name as the saint whose birthday is officially observed in the church on the particular day, I happen to share it with my brother) this month, I just *might* have some leverage here. I just have to talk to my brother and my parents and probably invest some of my own money into it, or just pay my brother a bit each month.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. Martijn wrote
    FSM certainly can be a bit more frenzied, which can be fun.
    At times.
    Not so much when you're in the dissenting camp, though.

Aside from Gilles going absolutely maniacally haywire over Hook, I think generally everyone here is quite a bit more equilibrious about releases.

Oh. Wait. shame

What you do with words, I don't have the energy or intellect for, so I use bouncing smilies and big bold lettering. biggrin

And like you said it sure would liven the place up a bit when more people went absolutely nuts over something.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  12. Thor wrote

Big Goldsmith fan here, big fan of complete releases, but this I might give a miss. Contrary to something like Hook, TMP does is very well presented on the Sony album and I don't think I'm missing out on much that's unreleased. I've heard the interviews once and it's a good listen, even if you are not the biggest Trekkie out there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're MAD! It is a proven scientifically calculated fact that the score to STAR TREK TMP is 1,958.7 times better than the score to HOOK.
  13. Show me the scientific proof and I'll agree with you.

Until that time, Hook is better. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nonsense man! As for proof, I could show you but then I would have to kill you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

yeah

Me too actually, though I am interested in hearing this new album. The Sony album is perfect, and having heard the complete score, I don't really feel like it needs anything added to it. And since we're talking about Hook, I do actually prefer the regular album to this new expanded release. I would just add the 17 minute battle music to the original album.

There's a little Thor in all of us it would seem...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's rare indeed that I find myself more enthusiastic for an expanded release than anyone at all, let alone all the people posting here! But I really am enthusiastic for this one. There are maybe five or six film scores which I think can sustain a release of more than one disc, and this is one of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jerry's greatest score gets the release it deserves! Can't wait!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Absolutely!!! beer