• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012
    I saw ALIEN at the cinema when I was 17, I remember the audience broke into laughter at the chestburster scene, the media had built it up as the most terrifying moment in the whole history of film, so much so that when the moment came for cinema goers it was a cathartic relief that it wasn't quite as terrifying as they were led to believe.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012 edited
    Yes definitely Alien, The Thing and Poltergeist scared me the most. Gremlins and Ghostbusters were way too fun to be scary.

Breaking into laughter for the chestburster scene is like trampling on holy ground where I'm concerned. It's just not done! It's for this reason I prefer to watch horror films alone at home.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012
    I was never scared by POLTERGEIST. Not even when I saw it as a kid. I was more scared by the sequel(s), for some reason.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How strange you mention the sequel. I caught a bit of it on TV today, and I can see why you were more scared.

The puke scene is brilliant! (The vomit creature was designed by HR Giger apparently.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And no, I was never scared of Alien when I saw it as a kid either. I just thought it was a great movie.

Poltergeist I can understand being scary, though I never saw that as a kid. Same with The Thing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I was never scared by POLTERGEIST. Not even when I saw it as a kid. I was more scared by the sequel(s), for some reason.

I think I was too awestruck by the sfx to be scared in any way, at that time they just didn't come better.

p.s. I've only been scared by a handful of films and they were all when I was a child.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012 edited
    The original POLTERGEIST only scared me when that guy got in front of a mirror with a piece of meat. Gruesome. The rest of the film was too funny to really get scary. The sequels, though, were more obscure, less funny and more straightforward spooky. They freaked me out a well. A bit. I was young.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Poltergeist absolutely terrified me when I first saw it (I borrowed the VHS from my piano teacher, waited till I was in the living room by myself, since I knew I wouldn't be allowed to watch it, and then ended up giving myself nightmares for ages.

Watched it again a couple of years ago and thought it was unbelievably bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

shocked
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Poltergeist absolutely terrified me when I first saw it (I borrowed the VHS from my piano teacher, waited till I was in the living room by myself, since I knew I wouldn't be allowed to watch it, and then ended up giving myself nightmares for ages.

I don't think it's bad, especially not in that typical 80's "fun" mode. It's not scary, but it has a certain 80's aesthetic that I like very much (and obviously have nostalgic connections to). The score, however, is vastly overrated.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I can honestly say that I can't think of any film I've watched in the last five years which has made me laugh more than Poltergeist.

At least the score lives up to its reputation, but that's the only good thing about the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What's so funny about it? confused

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love Poltergeist! punk

The score is one of Goldsmith's finest. FACT*.

*I owe Timmer money
  1. I don't think I've ever been scared of anything. My younger sister was scared and hated the orange creatures from "Labarynth" that took off their body parts, like their heads. I would recite the lines to mess with her.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012
    Steven wrote
    I love Poltergeist! punk

The score is one of Goldsmith's finest. FACT*.

*I owe Timmer money

The next 10 Intrada releases and we'll call it quits. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

I don't think it's bad, especially not in that typical 80's "fun" mode. It's not scary, but it has a certain 80's aesthetic that I like very much (and obviously have nostalgic connections to). The score, however, is vastly overrated.

A fair opinion and not one I agree with, a fabulous score. I enjoy the film but that's probably due to nostalgic reasons for me too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Well said Timmer. My thoughts exactly. beer

And I'll just ignor Thor's "overated" comment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If it's any comfort, I DO love the Carol Anne theme.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    You are pardoned then.

This time. wink
  2. A couple of Goldsmith reviews:

- A Patch of Blue
    - Explorers
    - Hollow Man
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012 edited
    Hollow Man is a score I've learned to appreciate more. It has that spark of writing for suspense blended with action that he knew how to do so well, even in his later years.

Explorers original album is fine by me. 4 stars of magic and fun!

So it's the start of the long awaited Goldsmith update? cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Hollow Man is a score I've learned to appreciate more. It has that spark of writing for suspense blended with action that he knew how to do so well, even in his later years.

Explorers original album is fine by me. 4 stars of magic and fun!

So it's the start of the long awaited Goldsmith update? cheesy

I must say, Hollow Man is definitely better than the time I've heard it in 2000. goes to show how poor the music of today is

the Goldsmith update will be several albums from time to time, in between a Thomas Newman update, a John Williams update, A James Horner update, a Hans Zimmer update, a Randy Edelman update, a Don Davis update

Expect the end of those updates in 2187 face-palm-mt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2012
    A FANTASTIC performance from Jerry Goldsmith at Filmharmonic 75...

THE WILD ROVERS

I wish I could have been there except that I was only 13-14 yrs old at the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A delightful score that contains one of my all time favorite movie songs - "The Wild Rover" sung by Ellen Smith.

And that action cue is one of the very best of Goldsmith's career. I made a little suite combining that cue (Bronco Bustin') with "Wild Horses."

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    A FANTASTIC performance from Jerry Goldsmith at Filmharmonic 75...

THE WILD ROVERS

I wish I could have been there except that I was only 13-14 yrs old at the time.

Same here. Except that I was -2.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    dizzy

At least I can be thankful to have seen JG in concert twice.
  4. Timmer wrote
    dizzy

At least I can be thankful to have seen JG in concert twice.

lucky bastard, I was so close to see him in 2004. But he died just before he was scheduled to conduct and perform his music in Ghent. That concert still remains the highlight of all the concerts I've ever visited, and nothing is going to change that
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I never got to see him. sad

But I've been fortunate to see other greats in recent years, so I'm not too sad for it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I never got to see him. sad

But I've been fortunate to see other greats in recent years, so I'm not too sad for it.

Not to rub it in but there was only ever one Jerry Goldsmith. I can't remember why you never came to see him wayyyyyy back in 2001 when me, Jim, Marian and a large handful of others from MovieMusic and FSM went to see him at the RAH??

I think the only composer I regret not having seen perform live is Elmer Bernstein, no excuses really because I had a number of opportunities.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I went to what would have been Goldsmith's last concert at the Barbican in 2003 (or 2004?) where he ended up not being able to come due to his cancer and had Dirk Brossé conduct it instead. I was so close to seeing a living legend!