• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    La La Land is releasing Sleeping With The Enemy and Forever Young. I had a listen to both original albums a few days ago and I was surprised how much I liked them especially Forever Young which is has this wonderful romantic/adventure flair about it! Sleeping With The Enemy is Goldsmith in 90's suspense mode. I'm really looking forward to the Forever Young release! Some excellent action material to be found in that score!

-Erik-

I'm not that fond of Sleeping with the Enemy (except its theme) and watched the film recently and can't say I noticed any music of note which isn't on the album. It's as professionally-scored as ever, but there's not much to it.

Forever Young on the other hand I think is seriously underrated (except the HIDEOUS electronic percussion) and I look forward to hearing what that expanded version brings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011 edited
    I can't really say that I remember anything of the score from SLEEPING, although I did see it a couple of times around the time it was released. It's a relatively effective thriller, another one of those sexual thrillers made in the wake of BASIC INSTINCT's success. Patrick Bergin was creepy.

I'm not even sure I've seen FOREVER YOUNG.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Forever Young on the other hand I think is seriously underrated (except the HIDEOUS electronic percussion) and I look forward to hearing what that expanded version brings.

OK... listening to this now, on track four, and so far there's been no hideous electronic percussion at all. Must have been a figment of my imagination. This is even more seriously underrated than I thought. Who could possibly not love this? One of his most romantic themes, a brilliant secondary theme full of magic and adventure, some wonderful action music... top, top stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011 edited
    yeah

I wrote this one off a long time ago as a a simple, generic romantic score with dynamite main theme and not much else. Then I spun it yesteday and boy was I ever wrong. I can't wait to listen to it again!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorjohnbijl
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011
    Ahh. Thanks Erik.
    Nothing is as loud as silence - Miklós Rózsa
  1. So is Explorers expanded worth it? Because I'm happy with the original release, sometimes these short albums work better than their 70+ minute counterparts.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011
    I wish I could help you but I haven't seen the film in years. I've given the expanded version a miss, I have no choice but to tighten my wallet at the moment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011
    Absolutely it's worth it!
    But only if you enjoy Goldsmith's energetic, enthusiastic, fun filled style of rich orchestration mixed with a heavy dose of electronic layering much in the style of Innerspace and Legend.
    The primary Explorer's theme is terrific (especially hearing it form and develop in the new cues)!
    As well as the 3 or 4 secondary themes.
    The only questionable theme for some would be the alien's funky rockabilly music.
    But seriously, there is much to be, pardon the pun, 'explored' on the complete score.
    Almost every track is a treasure. And for me, blows the original short version out of the water!
    It's not at the very top of Goldsmith's output. But it's certainly in the upper section of his great scores I think.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    So is Explorers expanded worth it? Because I'm happy with the original release, sometimes these short albums work better than their 70+ minute counterparts.

I second the question.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  2. I haven't heard the original but I can say that there is plenty on this new version I am not too keen on. Mostly annoying electronics/synths. I am inclined to think that you may be okay with what you have already.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    So is Explorers expanded worth it? Because I'm happy with the original release, sometimes these short albums work better than their 70+ minute counterparts.

I second the question.

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … x/#Item_14

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. It's a matter of personal taste. Asking is it worth it, is asking somebody else to tell you you share their opinion.

That said, yes. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2011
    Listening to the extended version of Forever Young
    listen to more classical music!
  4. It's not really that extended is it? I mean it's only about 10 minutes longer + bonus cues. But since I never had the original legally, this new album will take its place in a nanosecond. It's 45 minutes of Jerry greatness.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's not really that extended is it? I mean it's only about 10 minutes longer + bonus cues. But since I never had the original legally, this new album will take its place in a nanosecond. It's 45 minutes of Jerry greatness.

If you go be just time alone the original, which I have is 38 minutes and the new La-La Land is 74 minutes which would be close to double.
    Tom
  5. But the bonus cues (30 minutes of them) are just alternates, or am I wrong? It doesn't matter though, what was on the first album is already good enough to make me order the Intrada.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm working on my review and I'll notate what tracks are from the original release and where they are on the la-la land re-release.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Does anyone know if there were lyrics to the love theme of Forever Young.
    Tom
  6. sdtom wrote
    Tom

An internet search throws up this:

In my foolish lover's game
    On this endless ocean
    Finally lovers know no shame

Turning and returning
    To some secret place inside
    Watching in slow motion
    As you turn around and say

"Take my breath away
    Take my breath away"

Watching I keep waiting
    Still anticipating love
    Never hesitating
    To become the fated ones

Turning and returning
    To some secret place to hide
    Watching in slow motion
    As you turn to me and say

"Take my breath away"

Through the hourglass I saw you
    In time you slipped away
    When the mirror crashed I called you
    And turned to hear you say
    "If only for today I am unafraid"

Take my breath away
    Take my breath away

Watching every motion
    In this foolish lover's game
    Haunted by the notion
    Somewhere there's a love in flames

Turning and returning
    Watching in slow motion
    As you turn my way and say

"Take my breath away
    Take my breath away"

Do they fit?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

An internet search throws up this:

In my foolish lover's game
    On this endless ocean
    Finally lovers know no shame

Turning and returning
    Watching in slow motion
    As you turn around and say

"Take my breath away
    Take my breath away"

Watching I keep waiting
    Still anticipating love
    Never hesitating
    To become the fated ones

Turning and returning
    To some secret place to hide
    Watching in slow motion
    As you turn to me and say

"Take my breath away"

Through the hourglass I saw you
    In time you slipped away
    When the mirror crashed I called you
    And turned to hear you say
    "If only for today I am unafraid"

Take my breath away
    Take my breath away

Watching every motion
    In this foolish lover's game
    Haunted by the notion
    Somewhere there's a love in flames

Turning and returning
    Watching in slow motion
    As you turn my way and say

"Take my breath away
    Take my breath away"

Do they fit?

Well, they certainly fit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEOem7U2LPE biggrin wink

Wasn't Mel Gibson a PILOT in Forever Young? lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Yeah, he flew the SugarTITs.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/09/27/f … goldsmith/

My latest review of Forever Young.
  8. Guys, I'm interested in the following Goldsmith set:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=6557

Can anyone tell me if this one box with the 3 discs in it, or just the original albums repackaged together (so you get the 3 jewel cases as well).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2011
    If there is one number I would guess it is a single jewel case.
  9. Ok, I guess I'll be getting it, three Jerries ( biggrin ) that I don't have yet, and at least two that are somewhat fun. And one that's somewhat hard to get.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    Nice ten-minute video interview with Goldsmith from the early 80s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnp0cClT-Bo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Nice ten-minute video interview with Goldsmith from the early 80s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnp0cClT-Bo

Goldsmith is always involuntarily funny in interviews...constantly rolling his eyes as if every thing coming out of his mouth is a lament on how silly things are.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011 edited
    Back then everything was silly... hence the rolleyes

A good silly though. Bless the 80s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    GREMLINS
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=482

Chris Columbus was a fledgling writer when Steven Spielberg optioned his screenplay about little creatures terrorizing small-town America. By the time Amblin Productions filmed Gremlins in 1984, Spielberg and director Joe Dante had transformed the straightforward horror film into something far more comic, while retaining some memorable Grand Guignol moments. A combination of cuddliness, edgy comedy and shocking violence turned the film into a sensation, rendering it one of the biggest hits of the year.
    A key element in the film’s success was the imaginative meld of traditional orchestral writing and cutting-edge electronics provided by frequent Joe Dante collaborator Jerry Goldsmith. The music for Gremlins is a fan favorite that has long been recognized as one of Goldsmith’s most original works. Most of it has never been available in a legitimate release—until now.

At the center of the score is a ragtime theme played on synthesizer—a raucous celebration of mayhem that harkens back to the early days of animation yet gives the music a funky, contemporary twist.
    This is balanced by a heart-warming lyrical theme for the endearing mogwai character, Gizmo (which doubles as a love theme for the young couple portrayed by Zach Galligan and Phoebe Cates). An off-kilter waltz theme for Polly Holliday’s modern-day equivalent of the Wicked Witch of the West may be Goldsmith’s most outrageous comic confection. Solo fiddle invokes the devil (as in Herrmann’s The Devil and Daniel Webster), eerie bells (both acoustic and electronic) invoke the mystery of the mogwai, and pulse-pounding action music aptly supports the wild physical antics of the destructive creatures.

Disc one of this 2CD set features the premiere release of the complete score for Gremlins, mastered from the original PCM live stereo mixes by Bruce Botnick, supervising engineer of the original recording sessions. Disc two features a recreation of the 1984 soundtrack album, billed as a “Specially Priced 7-Cut Mini Album” with three pop songs on side one and a 16:12 suite from Goldsmith’s score on side two.

FSM’s 28-page booklet includes a reminiscence from audio engineer Botnick as well as a detailed essay on film and score by Jeff Bond and Mike Matessino (incorporating comments from an interview with director Dante).

Fans of Goldsmith and Gremlins are urged to purchase these CDs immediately, but be warned: Do not get the discs wet and absolutely never play them after midnight!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    I'm not sure if I need it.