• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I don't think Goldsmith would be too pleased ALL his music was being released.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011
    yeah

If I remember correctly, he barely okayed the expanded ( but still incomplete ) Star Trek TMP.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. He was very positive about the Basic Instinct expanded release and he was aware and happy with the plans of releasing Lonely and the Brave.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Obviously there'll be exceptions Pawel but it's pretty well known that JG wasn't pleased about a lot of complete scores being released.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    How come?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    How come?

Because he was smart! tongue wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011 edited
    He was like you Thor... he never understand why people would want to hear everything and was very selective as to what would appear on his albums.

There's an interesting article out there on the creation of Intrada's Night Crossing album where Jerry didn't want the opening main title cue on the album but Doug fought to get it ON the album. Doug eventually won.

Ah yes... HERE IT IS.

"Early on an almost heated argument occurred when Jerry thought the main title should be excluded from the album as the music in a different form would be heard later on anyway. Doug almost had to plead for its inclusion. Jerry let him have his way (which was correct speaking from a fan's point of view) and peace returned to the atmosphere."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Just Jerry's modest nature when it comes to his creations. If he only had known how real fans crave for certain complete or at the very least expanded releases. Including me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. He kept a release of "the Vanishing" from happening, up until he passed away. I think there were a couple others he kept down; I don't recall.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sort of like John Williams - for what ever reason - not wanting to release The Sugarland Express.

-Erik-
  5. Well, special note to John Williams: you might as well stop holding it up, 'cause as soon as you're gone, it'll be "The Vanishing" 2.0.

I saw that film on TV; enjoyed the Williams score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. The review of one of the best releases of this year: First Knight

Enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. 5 stars! Why am I not surprised?

beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    5 stars! Why am I not surprised?

beer

I would give it 6 stars, or even more if I could

what mastery
  9. Still haven't listened to it. I'm waiting for the right moment, you know the moment you really want to hear nothing less than absolute brilliance. And when you know you'll be amazed at every minute of music.
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    Still haven't listened to it. I'm waiting for the right moment, you know the moment you really want to hear nothing less than absolute brilliance. And when you know you'll be amazed at every minute of music.

let me know when that moment comes punk
  11. Any day now. cheesy
  12. Hot damn! Great review Thomas! I had some giggles and goosebumps along the way. Yay for another released treasure. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011 edited
    Great review Thomas! I completely agree, what a fantastic release.
    Kazoo
  13. Good review Thomas. I don't share the enthusiasm for the score as a whole but appreciated the effort of such a detailed review.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011
    I do share the enthusiasm for the score as a whole and appreciated the passionate effort you've made there Thomas. Great review! This is film score gold and this release deserves to be celebrated!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Great review Thomas! I definitely expected a fine review from you on this particular score. I'm glad we finally got an official release here.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The review of one of the best releases of this year: First Knight

Enjoy

"We have all been experiencing music one way or another these past few years. And over time one thing had made it abundantly clear: music is all about emotion. Emotion can either be brought through simplistic measures or through enormous complexity. When that complexity is matched with a composer's golden voice, you get memorable film music."

Good man. cool
  14. My little brother, so much wiser than I'll ever be. wink
  15. thank you all for these kind words. shame

sometimes I just don't know what to write, but sometimes it's so easy when you know the movie and score by heart. Only then can I put my heart and mind into it.

Anyway, thanks smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2011
    From Intrada

CITY OF FEAR

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7063/.f
  16. That is a very early release indeed for Jerry!

The sound on the clips sounded quite ropey and I wasn't that taken by the score as a whole (from listening to those clips.)

Intrada's other release - the Rubenstein concert piece - is one I'm going to pass on as well. So bank balance saved for another day.
  17. Varese CD Club Releases are out

Jerry Goldsmith 80th Birthday Tribute Concert
    FIMUCITE 3
    Closing Night Gala 2009

Limited Edition of 2000 copies

Conducted by Mark Snow and Diego Navarro
    Featuring the Tenerife Film Orchestra and Choir

1 DVD and 1 CD for the price of just 1 CD!

Had we not lost the great Jerry Goldsmith so pre-maturely in 2004, at the ages of 75, he would have turned 80 in 2009. To remember and celebrate the legendary composer on this very special occasion, producer Robert Townson and the Fimucité festival in Tenerife staged an extraordinary concert. It’s never possible to represent all of Goldsmith’s classics in any one concert. The idea here was to focus on Jerry’s music for science fiction and horror films. This opened the door to include some pieces that don’t get as much concert attention as the obligatory (though masterful and much-loved) Patton, Chinatown and Rudy.

This meant we could offer premiere concert performances of neglected gems such at The Illustrated Man, The Swarm and The Final Conflict. We could even shine a rare spotlight on Capricorn One, The Sum of All Fears and even The Omen! Rounding out the blockbuster program was music from fan-favorites Planet of the Apes, Star Trek: First Contact, Gremlins, Poltergeist and Total Recall!

It was a remarkable evening which also included a special award to Jerry Goldsmith, accepted in person by his wife, Carol.

Conducted by Mark Snow and Diego Navarro, the Jerry Goldsmith 80th Birthday Tribute and Celebration was a glorious evening and it can now be shared with fans of the composer’s work all over the world.

This 2-disc set includes a DVD of the concert and a CD of just the music. A beautiful DVD booklet (something that seems to be being left out of all but the most elaborate collector DVD sets these days) is also included.

DISC ONE - DVD (aprox 90:00)

Hosted by Robert Townson and Ana Yanes

Disc One DVD:

1. Introduction
    Star Trek: First Contact
    2. End Title (Conducted by Mark Snow)
    Capricorn One
    3. Main Title (Conducted by Mark Snow)
    The Illustrated Man
    4. Main Title (Conducted by Mark Snow)
    Planet Of The Apes
    5. The Clothes Snatchers (Conducted by Mark Snow)
    6. The Hunt (Conducted by Mark Snow)
    The Sum of All Fears
    7. The Mission (Conducted by Mark Snow)
    The Swarm
    8. End Title (Conducted by Mark Snow)
    Poltergeist
    9. Carol Anne’s Theme (End Title)
    (Conducted by Mark Snow)
    Gremlins
    10. Suite (Conducted by Mark Snow)
    The Omen
    11. Suite (Conducted by Diego Navarro)
    Total Recall
    12. Main Title (Conducted by Diego Navarro)
    The Final Conflict
    13. End Title (Conducted by Diego Navarro)
    Fimucité Awards
    14. Presentations to Mark Snow, Robert Townson and Carol Goldsmith

Disc Two CD:

Star Trek: First Contact
    1. End Title (Conducted by Mark Snow) (4:58)
    Capricorn One
    2. Main Title (Conducted by Mark Snow) (3:23)
    The Illustrated Man
    3. Main Title (Conducted by Mark Snow) (3:17)
    Planet Of The Apes
    4. The Clothes Snatchers (Conducted by Mark Snow) (3:22)
    5. The Hunt (Conducted by Mark Snow) (3:20)
    The Sum of All Fears
    6. The Mission (Conducted by Mark Snow) (3:47)
    The Swarm
    7. End Title (Conducted by Mark Snow) (3:43)
    Poltergeist
    8. Carol Anne’s Theme (End Title)
    (Conducted by Mark Snow) (2:54)
    Gremlins
    9. Suite (Conducted by Mark Snow) (8:01)
    The Omen
    10. Suite (Conducted by Diego Navarro) (10:57)
    Total Recall
    11. Main Title (Conducted by Diego Navarro) (2:37)
    The Final Conflict
    12. End Title (Conducted by Diego Navarro) (3:54)