• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011 edited
    Exactly. They are a part of Goldsmith´s legacy, and not a bad one. I can understand if people have problems with them. I don´t. I think I grew up on them. ^^

Lionheart is a feast. A couple of beautiful themes, great action tracks, heart-warming love themes, and heroic stuff that was WAY too good for the movie it was written for. Just listen to this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Does Lionheart contain synths?

It definitely does, but they don't jump out like they do in some of his more electronic-driven works.

What about the synths in something like Medicine Man? Or Under Fire? I couldn't even imagine what they'd sound like without those cool effects. cool

They are not too bad in those two.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It definitely does, but they don't jump out like they do in some of his more electronic-driven works.

What about the synths in something like Medicine Man? Or Under Fire? I couldn't even imagine what they'd sound like without those cool effects. cool

I'm not convinced by all of the synths in Lionheart but those other two certainly benefit from them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Yes... indeed it does!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Hey all, quick question: When purchasing THE FINAL CONFLICT I should get the 2001 deluxe edition over the original 1990 varese album, right?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011
    christopher wrote
    Hey all, quick question: When purchasing THE FINAL CONFLICT I should get the 2001 deluxe edition over the original 1990 varese album, right?

Absolutely 100% yes! It's got a bit of extra music and the remastering and sound quality is a massive improvement.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Thanks! I'm excited to finally hear this one. It's been on my to-get list for a long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You are about the experience a true masterpiece, Christopher!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

In my own top 20 scores of all time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I know you guys love it. It's all the praise I've heard for it on this board that's prompting me to buy it. It doesn't seem like the kind of film that would have a score I would enjoy, but from what I've heard there will be a good portion of this score that I'll really enjoy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There are parts of the score that wouldn't be out of place in a biblical epic, it's an awesome score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    If available, by all means get it in the trilogy box with the other Omen scores. They all have different kinds of qualities, but they're all extremely good!
  4. Coming from FSM:

"Gremlins"

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2341/captureayu.png
    (from the SAE Facebook page)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. I've actually never heard anything from this score so I will be interested to hear some clips in due course.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've actually never heard anything from this score so I will be interested to hear some clips in due course.

Not even the Gremlins theme?
  6. I may have heard it but I'm not familiar with it - if you know what I mean?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HERE YOU GO, ALAN
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My school band used to play the Gremlins rag all the time. It was one of their standard rehearsal pieces which I would hear every week on my way out. I don't think I even knew what it was at the time!

Gremlins is great. Very silly at times, but great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahhh, now there's a bit of good news. I have wonderful memories of Gremlins (even though, looking back, it was incredibly mean spirited for an early eighties comedy! shocked ), the soundtrack being one of the best: the Gremlins Rag a steadfast favourite. Glad we're getting a proper release after 25 years. smile )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Timmer wrote
    HERE YOU GO, ALAN

If that includes an example of the "very silly at times" portions commented on by James then I think that I'll pass on that.
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    HERE YOU GO, ALAN

If that includes an example of the "very silly at times" portions commented on by James then I think that I'll pass on that.

NO! Don't pass on it. Gremlins is orchestral fun all the way, plus some quirky electronic motifs and effects. You can't deny the creativity that went into its composition. If you don't fall in love with Gizmo's theme the instant you hear it, I'll eat my hat.

This is an instant buy for me. Great news! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. Don't get me wrong, I won't "I don't like it so it's crap" route. One thing Goldsmith was was creative. However, there can be parts of a score (not just Goldsmith's scores) that, if they have a passage that grates, then that puts me off.

I always come back to (Goldsmith's) Legend: there's tracks on this that I just can't listen to but there is 1-2 that are worth listening to again and again. And I do. Maybe Gremlins is one that's worth getting just for the few that don't have the bits I don't like?

Maybe if someone who has what's already available can let me have a listen then I can get a better idea of what the score as a whole is like?
  10. Sent you a PM. wink

I think it's a more rewarding and fun listen than Legend too. Not a huge fan of Legend myself, apart from a few wonderful cues.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  11. justin boggan wrote
    Coming from FSM:

"Gremlins"

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2341/captureayu.png
    (from the SAE Facebook page)

excellent punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LARGO WINCH - Alexandre Desplat

Superb! One of my favourite Desplat scores.
  12. But what does it have to do with Jerry Goldsmith?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    oops! shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Don't get me wrong, I won't "I don't like it so it's crap" route. One thing Goldsmith was was creative. However, there can be parts of a score (not just Goldsmith's scores) that, if they have a passage that grates, then that puts me off.

I always come back to (Goldsmith's) Legend: there's tracks on this that I just can't listen to but there is 1-2 that are worth listening to again and again. And I do. Maybe Gremlins is one that's worth getting just for the few that don't have the bits I don't like?

Maybe if someone who has what's already available can let me have a listen then I can get a better idea of what the score as a whole is like?

Back on topic rolleyes

The original release only had about 15 minutes of score on the album, I seem to remember quite a few good cues missing when I last saw the film but that was a long time ago, it's worth checking the film out Alan, and I think it may well be child friendly too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    But what does it have to do with Jerry Goldsmith?

Who gives a crap about Goldsmith when Desplat's Largo Winch is on?
    cool
  13. I think you may have the composers the wrong way round? wink