• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    I actually love Link !
    I got the old Varèse CD release which has been played often .
    The theme used throughout the score really keeps sticking in your head !
    I also bought the DVD not that long ago ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Now sold out! I'm glad I ordered it before I left the office this evening!
  1. Jim Ware wrote

I expected nothing less
    insane shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

I expected nothing less
    insane shocked

No, this is how a sane world should be.

Insane is singing foetus Justin Bieber selling zillions of everything.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Oops , sold out already ?! shocked
    Probably some of these will appear on Ebay with a double price tag on them !
    Well , that saves me some cash then !
    Looks like I'll have to make due with the Varèse one ... wink
  2. Eric wrote
    Oops , sold out already ?! shocked
    Probably some of these will appear on Ebay with a double price tag on them !
    Well , that saves me some cash then !
    Looks like I'll have to make due with the Varèse one ... wink

indeed, it's sad that you have to plan your day to these releasing announcements, because what if you just forget today was a soundtrack release day?

Bamn, you have to pay the double amount of money to get what you want
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011 edited
    Haha, fun to hear a Gremlins vibe in the music - which all the more makes me yearn for a Gremlins release, by the way! But it's not for me, so I'll pass - as if I've had a choice dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011
    This has sold out before I even knew it was released - good job I already have the older disc. And that it isn't very good anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Jim Ware wrote

I expected nothing less
    insane shocked

No, this is how a sane world should be.

Insane is singing foetus Justin Bieber selling zillions of everything.

Singing foetus! biggrin
  3. BobdH wrote
    Haha, fun to hear a Gremlins vibe in the music - which all the more makes me yearn for a Gremlins release, by the way! But it's not for me, so I'll pass - as if I've had a choice dizzy

Well if they ever put out Gremlins, I hope it doesn't get a limited release, because many people will buy it an instant, me included. And having never heard Link, except for those small clips, I don't think it'll be as great as Gremlins. But that didn't stop me ordering it ASAP. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    BobdH wrote

Well if they ever put out Gremlins, I hope it doesn't get a limited release, because many people will buy it an instant, me included. And having never heard Link, except for those small clips, I don't think it'll be as great as Gremlins. But that didn't stop me ordering it ASAP. smile

For a Goldsmith fanatic (like myself), there is fun to be had with Link. It has a little bit in common with Gremlins (the sequel, at any rate). But virtually every track is overlaid with drum machines - and I don't think it's too controversial to suggest that his drum machine phase was not really Goldsmith's finest.
  4. The negative comments relating to the electronics (including the drum machine) meant that I didn't even listen to the clips available. And when I read someone mentioning Legend as part of a description for Link, well...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Southall wrote
    ... and I don't think it's too controversial to suggest that his drum machine phase was not really Goldsmith's finest.

Not his finest but still damn catchy ... wink
  5. Well I meant the purely symphonic sound of Legend as a sweeping theme for Link. Maybe that might raise interest. Not a lover either of Legend's emphasis on electronics but at least the orchestral side is wonderful.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If there is a single piece of music which has ever been written which sounds less like Legend than Link does, then I haven't heard it. Neither of them features a four-year-old child humming the national anthem of Uzbekistan, but that's about the only similarity.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011 edited
    LEGEND is a fantastic score, IMO one of JG's very best ever, so good I'll even forgive the one or two moments ( The Unicorns in particular ) the synths are jarring.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Just listening to the Link clips on Intrada at the moment - and I wish that I hadn't.

Goodness, this is awful! What possessed Jerry to use that electronic baa-ing? That's going to haunt me now 'till my dying day!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Goldsmith had no clue about electronics or how to use them properly! Some of it has an unwitting charm nonetheless (like the Gremlins Rag), but most of it is purely annoying in my ears.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    LEGEND is a fantastic score, IMO one of JG's very best ever, so good I'll even forgive the one or two moments ( The Unicorns in particular ) the synths are jarring.

yeah
    I never found much fault with Jerry's synths, and in fact I pretty much find them part of his signature (his use of the synthesizer in Star Trek is nothing short of brilliant).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Martijn wrote
    ...his use of the synthesizer in Star Trek is nothing short of brilliant.

"For once, you and I are in total agreement."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The forum can now be closed.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote

biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

...and the MT gang lived happily ever after.

THE END
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Ditto!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

yeah
    I never found much fault with Jerry's synths, and in fact I pretty much find them part of his signature (his use of the synthesizer in Star Trek is nothing short of brilliant).

Indeed. That and Total Recall represent two of the finest integrations of synth and orchestra I've heard in film music; Legend, the finest. I hope some day there'll be another film composer with the ability to do that. There are some (Powell, Elfman) who are brilliant at integrating synth percussion with orchestra but they don't really delve into the potential soundscapes that electronic writing can bring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yikes. I consider LEGEND one of the worst-ever integrations of that kind. dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Ditto!

-Erik-

Believe it or not, I´m in, too.
    But I like his synth stuff anyway. Even the cheesy stuff. I believe I played my Link LP to death.
    I think Extreme Prejudice is brilliant, as is Lionheart.
  8. Does Lionheart contain synths?
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Does Lionheart contain synths?

who cares, it's absolutely brilliant and one of Goldsmith finest punk
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Does Lionheart contain synths?

It definitely does, but they don't jump out like they do in some of his more electronic-driven works.

What about the synths in something like Medicine Man? Or Under Fire? I couldn't even imagine what they'd sound like without those cool effects. cool