• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2011
    Very cool! We need more concert DVDs like that.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Very cool! We need more concert DVDs like that.

It's funny, but I love to see orchestras playing scores: all the session videos that are displayed on YouTube, etc, I try to watch these.

But this DVD/CD release format for me is not something I want to buy. Maybe one or the other. Even I can't explain why I feel this way. And I'd usually prefer to listen to the originals rather than a concert version.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I bought their first concert DVD - Fimucité 2: Closing Night Gala 2008 - I was unimpressed with the video quality. I'm not going to take a chance of this one. Plus, I wasn't overly impressed with the performances of the orchestra anyway.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Maybe you had to be there?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    This is the first time I've clicked on this thread since October 2008. What's new?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011
    shocked

MASADA
    Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH
    Parts III and IV Composed and Conducted by MORTON STEVENS

INTRADA Special Collection Volume 171

Composer Jerry Goldsmith rarely sought out specific assignments; usually directors or producers came to him. But Masada (1981) was an exception -- this was a score he was passionate about writing. Universal was willing to invest heavily in the score, including sending Goldsmith to Israel on a 10-day trip to research ancient music for the project. Goldsmith initially signed on to score the entire four-night, eight-hour miniseries, but production fell behind schedule and other projects called, necessitating bringing in Morton Stevens, at Goldsmith's suggestion, to conclude the scoring of parts three and four.

Goldsmith wrote three major themes, two for the Jews and one for the Romans. The primary Jewish theme, which would become known as the Masada theme is a hora-style anthem for the indomitable spirit of the Jewish people, its dance-like rhythms reminiscent of happier times and the hope of more to come. A second theme reflects the darker side of the Jews of that First Century, the sadness and seemingly endless struggle against domination and enslavement by other peoples. For the Romans, Goldsmith wrote a march that was designed to suggest the might of Imperial Rome, with military precision and prominent parts for brass and percussion. Relentless, even pompous in its simple, decisive, might-makes-right character, it recurs in many forms throughout the miniseries.

In 1981, Goldsmith re-recorded 38-minutes in London for the superb MCA album, but curiously omitted his fierce action cues as well as many other sequences. This is the premiere release of the recording sessions from the miniseries. Intrada had access to all of the original scoring session elements stored in the Universal vaults plus studio paperwork and engineering notes for this release. As with other recording projects done at Universal, the actual sessions were made partially on 2” 24-track tape and partially on ½” 4-track tape, depending on session dates, orchestra size and other engineering needs. Virtually all of these elements survived in perfect condition, from the largest set-pieces to the smallest Roman fanfares and commercial bumpers. As a result, Intrada is able to present the complete score for the entire miniseries, including music not used, on this 2-CD set with crystal clear stereo sound. Everything is included, from largest powerhouse set-piece to smallest Roman fanfare. Each part plays as an individual program, introducing unique credit music and new material while working with ideas from previous parts, then concluding with familiar Masada end credits.

The story of the siege of Masada in 72 A.D.—in which a hardy band of Jewish Zealots held off 5,000 Roman troops for months in a mountaintop fortress—is one of the most remarkable in the annals of world military history. Peter Strauss was cast as Eleazar ben Yair, the charismatic, intense commander of the Zealots. Peter O’Toole was cast as Cornelius Flavius Silva, the complex, brilliant Roman general in charge of the Tenth Legion.

This album is limited to 5000 copies.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 171
    Retail Price: $29.99
    AVAILABLE NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7115/.f
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2011
    Now this is interesting. I've never thought the score as recorded for the tv series was remotely as good (on CD) as the re-recorded album Goldsmith did, which is one of his best. But now I feel I should check!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I had only heard about this as an anonymous Goldsmith title in his filmograhy untill they played an excerpt at a Goldsmith concert here in Oslo a couple of months ago. Well, it sounded interesting, like hyper-orchestrated klezmer music or something.

Of course, this 2CD holds little interest for me, but if there is a 40-minute album program out there, that might certainly be worth checking out now that I'm more familiar with the music. Maybe the price plummets on that now that this is out?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Listening to the clips from Intrada at the moment and I have to say that there's something I don't like about this. I'm not sure if it the tempo of the main title, the ethnic stylings or the (to me) thin sounding orchestra/recording.

Sounds like to me a sub-par Goldsmith release. But I know there seems to be loads of people wanting this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's a much smaller orchestra than the re-recorded original album, I believe. Much thinner orchestrations too. I've said for years that I don't know why anyone would actually want this if they have the old album, but, like a moth to the flame, my pointer is heading towards the "Add to cart" button. It's like I have some kind of mental condition.
  4. I think the orchestra in the OST is about 70 musicians.

I am sometimes critical with myself after I've bought something, wondering why I have bought it. Maybe being caught up with messageboard hype and anticipation for something that, in the cold light of day, I wouldn't otherwise pick up.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Now this is interesting. I've never thought the score as recorded for the tv series was remotely as good (on CD) as the re-recorded album Goldsmith did, which is one of his best. But now I feel I should check!

I remember the TV score being thin compared to the rerecording.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to the clips from Intrada at the moment and I have to say that there's something I don't like about this. I'm not sure if it the tempo of the main title, the ethnic stylings or the (to me) thin sounding orchestra/recording.

Yeah... I have to agree... the recording sounds brittle! I was going to purchases this one but I will have to have a re-listen to the original release. I can't remember if I liked it or not... LOL... I just have a feeling that this one won't get many spins.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Southall wrote
    It's a much smaller orchestra than the re-recorded original album, I believe. Much thinner orchestrations too. I've said for years that I don't know why anyone would actually want this if they have the old album, but, like a moth to the flame, my pointer is heading towards the "Add to cart" button. It's like I have some kind of mental condition.

Is it like the difference between the album and film recordings of Capricorn One?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Great score, but I have to agree with Thor here, (shorter album) Reason is that the previously released, now out of print, re-recording is VASTLY SUPERIOR compared with the original TV score. (I got that one for several years now, a bootleg)

The TV score sounds thin, and it seems the orchestra is not very good. The re-recording has a much fuller sound and gusto. Also the orchestration/arrangement is much better, and flows very nicely. The last track on the re-recording has a superior emotional impact due to the different orchestration/arrangement. More sweeping, melodramatic to my ears.

But... the TV score has a few more extra cues that are interesting, but not really THAT interesting.

There's a nice middle eastern cue, with some middle eastern sounding string instruments. I also like the short 'end title' cue, which is a nice conclusion.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
  5. Southall wrote

Morton Steven's contributions are strong.

And remember CAPRICORN ONE. There was a time when Goldsmith did more with less heavy orchestrations. (Oh, I see Kevin made the point too!)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    Listening to Bad Girls, the new expanded release from La-La Land for a review
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Listening to Bad Girls, the new expanded release from La-La Land for a review

I'll be interested to hear your review of this? Besides a couple of tracks I don't really like it much.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It is a different listening experience
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/b … goldsmith/
    My take on the Bad Girls
  6. Reminded today (well, yesterday now) that it was 7 years since the death of Jerry Goldsmith. In my small way I remembered the composer with a selection of tracks, the first 10 of which are listed here.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011
    For those that want EXPLORERS you've got EXPLORERS.

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7064/.f

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011 edited
    At last!!! This is the last of my Jerry Goldsmith 'holy grails'!
    Well, with the exception of perhaps an 'ultra deluxe' release of Star Trek : The Motion Picture.
    Gremlins would be very nice but not as high up for me.
    There's a nice etherial secondary theme missing from the old half hour score release that I've always wanted here. Plus a couple of other interesting cues.
    It's been 26 years in the waiting for me. Now I'm feeling spoilt with this and The Black Hole just a few weeks from each other!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Meh.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I know. One man's meat is another man's 'meh'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I understand it is already sold out
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011 edited
    If so that settles it for me. If I was wealthy right now I'd have ordered it instantly, however, I like it but I don't like it that much that I really have to have it.

I'll live. wink

Thankfully I'll not lose any sleep over not buying the next releases either, SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY and FOREVER YOUNG.
    • CommentAuthorjohnbijl
    I loved the Explorers-theme from the moment I heard it! I found it bothersome that it didn't had more exposure on the Varèse-cd, so this expansion was a immediate buy for me.

Sleeping with the Enemy and Forever Young at 3000 seems a bit, ahum, optimistic; as was Bad Girls. Don't tell the cult of Jerry-guys, but both scores are not in so much need of expansion to me. Both are serviceable albums and nothing much more. (Funny how even MV mentioned Sleeping with the Enemy is "a fine addition to any self-respecting Goldsmith Cult Member’s collection." -- basically saying it's more for Goldsmith's bottle cap collectors then anyone else.)

I figure they both will be around for a while, perhaps even after every holy grail has been released wink and I'll get them then. Or in their next incarnation. Or in mine.
    Nothing is as loud as silence - Miklós Rózsa
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's a few tracks on SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY that I like, the spookiest music in the film is supplied by Hector Berlioz rather than Goldsmith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's not sold out!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7064/.f

-Erik-