• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. francis wrote
    To me the comparison with the Rambo scores is striking as both franchises follow the same evolution; the first has the basic foundation with strong themes, the second takes those themes and goes crazy, and the third is a best of both worlds with a more rounded approach. Which is why I like the third scores the best in both cases. It's a shame he never got to finish the Poltergeist trilogy, though part III was on par with Final Conflict as being an abismal sequel.

With the Rambo scores, it's very interesting because the first score is the psychological thriller, the second one is the fun one and the third one is the romantic dramatic one. All built around one theme and a rhythmic pattern. Very proficient.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2013
    New from Intrada...

CONGO

A very good and enjoyable score. Personally I'm happy enough with the old release.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2013 edited
    Hated the movie at the time as it was being hyped as the next Crichton 'Jurassic Park' event, check the nostalgia critic's review to get an idea why that didn't happen lol.

I never got the Goldsmith album and in all honesty the theme left me cold, but this might be a case where the action underscore might be worth checking, the samples sound good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Interesting.

CONGO was one of the 10 first soundtracks I bought in CD format (and definitely my first Goldsmith) back in the mid 90's, but I remember disliking it a little bit and running back to the store to exchange it with Elfman's THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS -- which I don't regret, because that's the seed of my Elfman fandom right there.

Still, in retrospect, there's a little sense of regret there because it has some smokin' good tracks -- especially "Spirit of Africa". I prefer the more adventurous and melodic over the action material (which I seem to remember is what I found slightly grating back then).

I'm not sure this new release is for me, especially since it includes even MORE of the action material, but it's spurred me to maybe check out the original album again.

Oh, and I've always had a soft spot for the film despite its obvious shortcomings. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. it was a standard Goldsmith effort back then, no doubt it will rock so much more now.
    My brother will get it I'm sure
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Nice pull by Intrada. I thought for sure this would end up with LLL, with their relationship with Paramount and expanding soundtracks from Epix/Sony. The score fits snugly into his 90's action mode, but the material is typically kinetic with a jungle flavor and it's buoyed by two strong themes. For me this release is right up there with THE SHADOW.

I don't usually like playing the "too bad it's not..." game after a big announcement, but man I was hoping for a proper release of DEEP RISING. Fingers crossed it's in the pipeline somewhere.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Funny enough some poster at the FSM board said 'thank god it's not Deep Rising' wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I can only guess the poster hasn't seen/doesn't remember the score from the movie, because the album fails the score on every level. It's a fabulous score. Goldsmith does calypso action!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2013 edited
    Deep Rising grew on me, I wasn't that big a fan of the 'Copacabana' approach, but like I said the tropical terror tracks started to sound catchy. Was hoping there'd be a score release when it came out on blu-ray, but I think it's safe to presume it's being worked on.

If last year proved anything, it's that EVERY Goldsmith title that hasn't been expanded, eventually will. I sold off a lot of albums with that in mind and I like rediscovering them on these new editions.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Funny enough some poster at the FSM board said 'thank god it's not Deep Rising' wink

whoever said that is a fool, Deep Rising is one of those guilty pleasures and a strong listen. Though I don't know exactly what else of memorable music is missing from that album
  6. Mike Skerritt wrote
    I can only guess the poster hasn't seen/doesn't remember the score from the movie, because the album fails the score on every level. It's a fabulous score. Goldsmith does calypso action!

I'm pretty sure you mean NAILS then smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote

whoever said that is a fool, Deep Rising is one of those guilty pleasures and a strong listen. Though I don't know exactly what else of memorable music is missing from that album

Yeah, it's pretty fun...especially the galloping main theme.

The film is a guilty pleasure too.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah, it's pretty fun...especially the galloping main theme.

The film is a guilty pleasure too.

I like the film a lot too, nothing serious about it, just fun fun fun entertainment
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Deep Rising is a hugely entertaining film and score - more so than Congo in both cases (particularly the film). I did watch the risible Congo once and can't say I noticed any music of note which wasn't on the CD, but of course I've bought the new one anyway.
  8. Several new Jerry Goldsmith reviews

- The Blue Max
    - Legend
    - Players
    - The Shadow

Enjoy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2013
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Several new Jerry Goldsmith reviews

- The Blue Max
    - Legend
    - Players
    - The Shadow

Enjoy

Nice reviews Thomas but 'Retreat' from THE BLUE MAX is NOT an excellent track? uhm

Plus I give the score ***** tongue

I would have also added half a point to LEGEND

Anyway, that's my opinion.
  9. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Several new Jerry Goldsmith reviews

- The Blue Max
    - Legend
    - Players
    - The Shadow

Enjoy

Nice reviews Thomas but 'Retreat' from THE BLUE MAX is NOT an excellent track? uhm

Plus I give the score ***** tongue

I would have also added half a point to LEGEND

Anyway, that's my opinion.

thanks Tim, it's been a while since I heard The Blue Max (several of them were already written a while ago). So cannot really comment on that track. But yeah, everyone choses different tracks, so I'll probably screw up multiple times ;-)

Legend seems to be a score some love, and some love less than they should, so I understand your choice as well
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Never liked THE BLUE MAX. I find it grating.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I find the album presentation of The Blue Max to be too long but the suite is absolutely amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, a suite I could probably manage. There is a good theme in there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I heard him do the suite in concert at least once. Wonderful arrangement of the main material from the score. Lasts about 15 minutes if I remember right.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I heard him do the suite in concert at least once. Wonderful arrangement of the main material from the score. Lasts about 15 minutes if I remember right.

Same here. For me I think it might have been his RAH concert in 2001?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Could have been!

I should say that I do love the full album too (five stars all the way for me).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Blue Max suite is available on the his Suites and Themes album which I presented on my best re-recordings countdown.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/re-record … -blue-max/

BTW, it's a five star score... as is Legend!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The full album was a little disappointing for me in that I was expecting the rest of the music to be as amazing as what he picked for the suite. And don't get me wrong, it's definitely good music but he knew exactly what to pick for a slam-bam amazing fifteen minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2013
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, a suite I could probably manage. There is a good theme in there.

I hereby award you with the much coveted Understatement of the Month Award and a €100 Ann Summers gift voucher. Congratulations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2013
    Intrada's about to release his rejected score to Gladiator, which is pretty rubbish if I remember correctly but obviously I'll buy it anyway just in case it isn't.
  10. No confirmation yet.
    They surely wouldn't skip Brad Fiedel's replacement score, which I've seen clamored for just as often as the rejected score.

Anyway, it's an excellent score. Jerry re-uses the love theme the next year in "The Vanishing". It's of course better and more developed in "Gladiator".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2013
    justin boggan wrote
    No confirmation yet.

I'm pretty sure I just confirmed it, unless I misunderstood my own post.
  11. That's speculatory, unless you have inside information. I can post I'm about to be crowned the queen of England, but unless I got proof...

Here's a suite of the score for those unfamiliar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiQWpSsHkG8
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.