• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It's a promo apparently and I was not aware of that. But it's a fun score.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Discogs labels it as a promo. ^ Oh, didn't see that.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. A big update from La La Land Records:

Easter egg surprise for all

Coming this spring

ORDINARY PEOPLE paired with SAVE THE TIGER [Note: both are by Hamlisch]
    CRACK IN THE WORLD paired with PHASE IV

Coming this Summer

BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES Vol 4 (includes last of the first 65 episodes plus ARKHAM ARCHIVES -- remaining missing odds and ends from other volumes)

STAR TREK VOYAGER -- 4 CD SET

THE X-FILES VOLUME 3 -- 4 disc set

Coming this September

STAR TREK 50TH ANNIVERSARY 3 DISC SET

STAR TREK ENTERPRISE VOL 2

This is a small sampling of what La La Land has in store for the rest of 2016.

Hoppy Easter!!! ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. That's a lot of TV music. shocked
  5. April releases from Quartet Records:

Art work image
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Some updates from La La Land Records regarding Golden Age scores:

Nope. Maybe one GA title this year. After the turd the very very expensive GIANT laid last year I figured why bother spending all that time and money on GA titles that no one buys?

MV

And:
    Got a Waxman twofer that will be out in 2016. Maybe a North. That's it for now from us regarding some GA titles in 2016.

MV
  7. A quick update from Intrada, posted yesterday by Roger:

I honor of spring break and the need for a little rest, we will not be releasing anything next week. But see you back in two when we resume our usual schedule.
  8. So this thread is also about NOT upcoming CDs. wink
  9. And lots of lots of waiting and guessing. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. New release from a label caled Fresh Sound Records:

(I've cleaned up the announcement some, because it needed it)

Music From Outer Space - Fantastica + Project: Comstock (2 LPs on 1 CD)

BMCD 871 (Blue Moon 800 Series)
    CD release produced by Jordi Pujol

· Collector’s Edition
    · Issued in Digipack
    · Two Original LPs on One CD
    · Original Cover Art and Liner Notes
    · Stereo Recordings (newly remastered in 24-bit)

Reunited here on CD are the two masterpieces: “Music from Outer Space: Fantastica” and "Project: Comstock", two legendary albums that bring you the music of whirling satellites, brilliant galaxies, streaming comets, mysterious planets, and the eerie reaches of space in-between, all in spectacular stereo sound.

“Fantastica” (1957) remains the gold standard by which all outer space exotica records are judged. It is an innovative musical suite of all outer space titles written by the imaginative composer/arranger Russ Garcia, who brilliantly orchestrated and conducted it using well-controlled unusual electronic effects. The effects were created by sound engineer Ted Keep, and include a sine wave generator that produces treble and bass tones of almost inhuman extremes. Russ Garcia hoped that his music would take listeners far, far from the earth... clear out of this world.

All that other-worldly, startling musical and dramatic life is also present in another remarkable album, “Project: Comstock” (1962). One of the world’s most inventive arrangers, Frank Comstock, outdid himself, as the subject of space gave him literally light years of latitude to create a new kind of music. In addition to the normal complement of his orchestra, Comstock augmented it with electronic instruments seldom heard in recordings such as the Theremin and Novachord in an unprecedented musical journey.

Enjoy this science-fiction music that will take you on a realistic trip into space.

Tracklisting:
    01. Into Space 2:38
    02. Nova (Exploding Star) 2:23
    03. Lost Souls of Saturn 3:39
    04. Monsters of Jupiter 3:07
    05. Water Creatures of Astra 2:38
    06. Venus 3:45
    07. Red Sands of Mars 2:25
    08. Goofy Peepl of Phobos 2:11
    09. Volcanoes of Mercury 4:10
    10. Birth of a Planet 3:58
    11. Frozen Neptune 5:17
    12. Moon Rise 3:32
    13. Out of This World (Arlen-Mercer) 3:48
    14. Stella by Starlight (Young-Washington) 2:35
    15. A Journey to a Star (Warren-Dubin) 2:03
    16. DeepNight(Henderson-Vallee) 3:44
    17. FromAnotherWorld(Rodgers-Hart) 2:57
    18. Galaxy(FrankComstock) 2:48
    19. Out of Space (Tharp-Stillman-Gifford-Bishop) 2:58
    20. On the Dark Side of the Moon (Frank Comstock) 2:17
    21. When You Wish Upon a Star (Harline-Washington) 2:38
    22. Journey to Infinity (Frank Comstock) 3:35
    23. Stairway to the Stars (Parish-Malneck-Signorelli) 2:37
    24. The Moon is Blue (Gilbert-Fine) 2:27

Sources:
    Tracks #1-12 are from the stereo album (composed by Russ Garcia)
    “Fantastica—Music from Outer Space” (Liberty LST-7005)
    The orchestration, alongside more traditional instruments like woodwinds, trombones, French horns, tuba, harp, vibes, and percussion, includes a series of electronic devices and effects, among them a sine wave generator.
    Recorded at Liberty Studios, Hollywood, December 21 & 23, 1957

Tracks #13-24 are from the stereo album
    “Project: Comstock—Music from Outer Space” (Warner Bros WS-1463)
    Collective personnel includes: Dick Nash, Joe Howard, Dick Noel, George Roberts (trombones); Ronnie Lang, Gene Cipriano, Mahlon Clark, Jerome Kasper, Chuck Gentry (saxes and woodwinds); Paul Tanner (electric-theremin); Buddy Cole (novachord and Hammond organ); Allan Reuss, Toni Rizzi (guitar); Ann Mason Stockton (harp); Rolly Bundock (bass); Dale Anderson (drums); Dick Shananan (percussion).
    Recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, April, 1962

Original recordings produced by Simon Jackson (#1-12) and Jimmy Hilliard (#13-24)
    Sound engineer: Ted Keep (Liberty)
    Cover designs by Garrett-Howard (Liberty), and Sid Avery (Warner Bros.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2016
    Fresh Sound Records is an established jazz label which, among other things, released the fabulous JAZZ BEGINNINGS 2CD set by John Williams some years ago -- one of the most important, film music-related releases in the 2000s.

This new set sounds quite intriguing too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2016
    I've not heard Comstock but the Garcia release is most welcome, I'll be having me a copy of this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. New from Kritzerland:

Kritzerland is proud to present another Golden Age Bernard Herrmann classic score:

JANE EYRE

Composed and Conducted by Bernard Herrmann

The 1943 film of Jane Eyre was a first-class affair straight down the line, from it’s wonderful direction by Robert Stevenson to its literate screenplay by Stevenson, Aldous Huxley, John Houseman and others, to its formidable cast, including Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles, along with the amazing character actors Henry Daniell, Agnes Moorehead, and Sara Allgood, and Margaret O’Brien and Peggy Ann Garner as young Jane (a subtle and beautiful performance), and an unbilled, young Elizabeth Taylor as Helen Burns.
    The gorgeous photography was by veteran George Barnes. The resulting film was a truly remarkable movie – evocative, gothic, romantic, and managing to capture the dark, brooding essence of Charlotte Bronte’s masterpiece.

The studio attempted to persuade classical composer Igor Stravinsky to make his film debut with Jane Eyre, but that didn’t happen. Bernard Herrmann really wanted to score the film but didn’t think he had a chance, but happily, Alfred Newman, head of the Fox music department, was a fan of Herrmann and he gave him the assignment, thus beginning Herrmann’s long and brilliant association with Fox.

Herrmann could not have made a more auspicious debut at Fox than with Jane Eyre, a perfect marriage of film and composer. The score captures the Bronte world right from the main title, which, unlike today’s abbreviated main titles, immediately draws you in and sets the tone of the film. His incredible string and reed writing is especially evident in this score, and his themes are simply stunning. The Herrmann musical signature is in evidence in every bar of the score – his music never sounds like any other composer and is instantly identifiable. Jane Eyre remains one of the cornerstones of his film-scoring career, as fresh, mysterious, beautiful, and vibrant today as it was back in 1943.

Jane Eyre was previously released in the Varese Sarabande Bernard Herrmann at Fox box set, that sold out almost instantly. It’s been great to be able to make so much of the contents of that box available in separate releases for those who missed out.

Jane Eyre is limited to 1000 copies only and is priced at $19.98, plus shipping.

CDs will ship by the last week of May, but we’ve actually been averaging three to five weeks early in terms of shipping ahead of the official ship date. To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.
  12. I own the Naxos re-recording and like it a lot. But as a pure listening experience I prefer the version by John Williams. As I have seen neither film that's all I can comment on.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    I own the Naxos re-recording and like it a lot. But as a pure listening experience I prefer the version by John Williams. As I have seen neither film that's all I can comment on.

Volker

I've seen most JANE EYRE films. Neither the Herrmann-scored version nor the Williams-scored version is particularly good, although they have some strengths. The Williams version, I've obviously only seen on a crappy VHS copy of an ancient TV broadcast -- maybe even the original TV broadcast -- so it's not ideal, I know. The best version is still Cary Fukunaga's version from a few years ago (also with a gorgeous Marianelli score).
    I am extremely serious.
  13. New from Kronos:

KATTENOOG (TV Series)
    by JORIS HERMY
    LTD TO 300 COPIES

I WANT TO BE A SOLDIER
    by FEDERICO JUSID
    LTD TO 300 COPIES

And lucky number 70!!!

RIPLEY'S GAMERIPLEY'S GAME
    by legendary Maestro ENNIO MORRICONE!
    LTD TO 500 COPIES

Available at the end of May from Kronos Records.
    PRE-ORDER NOW from www.kronosrecords.com
  14. Posted today at FSM:

CELEBRATE "ALIEN DAY" WITH US!

Get John Frizzell's amazing ALIEN RESURRECTION (2-CD SET) at the great price of only $10 each! This sale will last only 48 hours, (ends 10pm PST on 4/28) so get yours now!

Only 200 units remain. Once it's gone -- IT'S GONE! It won't be resurrected! ??

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/AlienResurrection.html
  15. Is Alien Resurrection expanded worth it? Because I fear it not being as strong as the other 3, it may very well outstay its welcome on 2 discs. I like the film (yes, I am THAT weird), and the score works okay, but it's no match for Goldsmith or Horner.
  16. In my personal opinion, there's nothing to take away from the score.
  17. I don't have the first release. And with this one I would get the two for 10 $. Might as well go for it at that price.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016 edited
    Frizzel's ALIEN: RESSURECTION is MASSIVELY underrated -- especially in the film. The harrowing underwater music (one of the most intense suspense cues of the 90s), the "requiem" for the failed Ripley clones, the burlesque music for the warped science of it. On album, it's obviously not on the level of the previous three, but it's still pretty good.
    I am extremely serious.
  18. You know what? I'm gonna order it, because it's a score written during the good old days *, and those were almost never bad **

* the 90s were still the good old days
    ** a very tongue in cheek comment
  19. Man I don't know. It's 10 bucks for the expanded score. It's 16 bucks for overseas shipping. And I don't really want to order anything else for the moment. At times like these I wish these specialty labels would launch a european store. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016
    You mean like Quartet Records, Kronos, Digitmovies, Tadlow, Music Box Records or Prometheus (and I'm fairly sure I'm forgetting plenty) ? wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  20. Those have a selection, I've checked each one and no Alien Resurrection available.

Oh well it's not the end of the world. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016
    Aaaah, you meant specifically for this CD!
    Sorry, I thought you were lamenting the lack of Europe-based specialty labels!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  21. A:R is now sold out. You'll have to try places like SAE for a copy.
  22. At SAE they have much more to choose from so I can order more than just the Frizzel score, and combine the huge shipping costs, so it actually becomes interesting. But as I already have everything I want (more or less) that's becoming more of a problem compared to say, 5 years ago.
  23. An update today from LLLR on the special Trek set they were taking requests for:

These are all wonderful suggestions, some of which will definitely be on this set. We are making the assembly right now and trying to get clearances on a number of tracks.

At this time we don't need any more suggestions.

We plan on releasing this very special 3 disc set in September to coincide with the mega 50th anniversary celebration planned that month.

MV
  24. TWO UPDATES:

May 9, the next Varese CD Club batch:

CD CLUB TIME!
    The Varèse Sarabande CD Club returns with a very special new batch being announced on May 9. Five new titles in total ... four from Varèse and one from Masters Film Music! We have a great film music celebration planned. The titles will be announced and available for ordering on our web site, and also be posted here [Facebook].

And all the LLLR titles for May:
    Link to a poster with the covers.