• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. New titles from Music Box:

FRANKENSTEIN 90
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Music Composed and Conducted by Armando Trovajoli

World Premiere CD release.
    Remastered edition supervised by Claudio Fuiano, including one previously unreleased track.
    8-page CD booklet with French and English liner notes by Nicolas Magenham.
    Limited Collector’s Edition.

Ref: MBR-090
    Release Date: May 17, 2016

In collaboration with EMI Music Publishing, Music Box Records is pleased to present in complete edition and for the first time on CD, the original motion picture soundtrack of Alain Jessua's Frankenstein 90 (1984) composed and conducted by Armando Trovajoli (Profumo di donna, Tais-toi quand tu parles).

Alain Jessua chose the parodic mode for his own version of the Frankenstein myth, starring Jean Rochefort as Victor Frankenstein, and Eddy Mitchell as the creature (called Frank). This time the doctor is a cyberneticist who creates a monster from various human body parts, but gives him an electronic brain.

Armando Trovajoli’s score, both light and sinister, takes inspiration from the past, either in a deliberately old-fashioned and parodic way, or through a respectful tribute to the greatest moments of romantic music. The Italian composer’s work also displays some modern elements such as the recurring use of soprano saxophone, sometimes coupled with a rhythm akin to that of disco.

Supervised and mastered by Claudio Fuiano, this present edition features the same content as the original LP issued by General Music France and includes one previously unreleased track. The CD comes with an 8-page booklet with liner notes by Nicolas Magenham, discussing the film and the score.

TRACK LISTING:

1. La dernière valse (02:37)
    2. Frankenstein 90 (02:04)
    3. Découverte de la nature (02:47)
    4. Frankenstein 1930 (00:56)
    5. À la recherche de Frankenstein (02:06)
    6. Strip-tease (02:46)
    7. La chambre d'Adélaïde (02:02)
    8. Le château de Frankenstein (02:39)
    9. Poursuite dans la forêt (01:22)
    10. Poursuite dans la forêt (2e version) (01:40)
    11. L'évasion de Frank (01:28)
    12. Fuite de Frank et Élisabeth (03:21)
    13. Frankenstein 90 (reprise)* (01:25)
    14. Frankenstein 90 (2e version) (03:03)

* previously unreleased

Total Time • 30:50

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/3507 … in-90.html

LA PASSANTE DU SANS-SOUCI • GARDE À VUE
    Two Original Motion Picture Soundtracks
    Music Composed and Composed by Georges Delerue

World Premiere CD release.
    Remastered edition. More than 50 minutes of music.
    8-page CD booklet with French and English liner notes by Sylvain Pfeffer.

Ref: MBR-091

In collaboration with EMI Music Publishing, Music Box Records is pleased to present on CD the two soundtracks composed by Georges Delerue for Romy Schneider's last films: Claude Miller's Garde à vue (Under Suspicion, 1981), adapted from the novel by John Wainwright (Brainwash) and Jacques Rouffio 's La Passante du Sans-Souci (The Passerby, 1982), adapted from the 1936 novel by Joseph Kessel.

For La Passante du Sans-Souci, Georges Delerue wrote a main theme on violin with undertones of Klezmer, bringing to the film a dramatic dimension. This theme is reprised as a song in the final credits (Chanson d’exil) and its many variations appear in several cues throughout the score.

For Garde à vue, Georges Delerue wrote a very short effective score for this psychological thriller. The main theme takes the form of a carnival waltz.

This new album devoted to two scores by Georges Delerue allows the listener to hear two sides of his writing: the one dramatic and sentimental, dominated by strings, the other darker and more disquieting. Oscillating between the sadness of adults and the fears of children, this album gives resonance once more to the wide palette of a composer with many facets.

This present edition has been fully remastered from the original master tapes which contain the previously issued LP programs. The package includes an 8-page booklet with liner notes by Sylvain Pfeffer, discussing the films and the scores.

TRACK LISTING:

LA PASSANTE DU SANS-SOUCI
    1. Chanson d'exil (03:28)
    Performed by Talila
    2. Générique (01:35)
    3. La valse parisienne (00:56)
    4. Elsa et Maurice (01:29)
    5. Max et son père / Photo souvenir (01:41)
    6. L'arbre de Noël (01:27)
    7. Air tzigane (01:10)
    8. Le petit Max au Rajah (01:34)
    9. La chanson d'Elsa (02:01)
    Performed by Hannelore Norgensen
    10. Accordéon parisien (02:08)
    11. Une femme seule avec un enfant (02:20)
    12. Air de Max (02:17)
    13. Charlotte et son client (01:09)
    14. L'attente d'Elsa (03:20)
    15. Air des rues (01:37)
    16. Le départ de Berlin (00:51)
    17. Le retour de Michel (00:41)
    18. Elsa et Michel enfin réunis (02:33)
    19. Goles Lid (03:27)
    Performed by Talila in yiddish

Time • 36:34

GARDE À VUE
    20. Chantal Martinaud (02:07)
    21. Les dunes (01:02)
    22. Le fox de l'Amazone (01:40)
    23. Belmont (01:56)
    24. Chantal et Camille (04:47)
    25. À la sous-préfecture (01:37)
    26. Musique de la pluie (01:44)

Time • 15:10

Total Time • 51:44

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/3508 … a-vue.html

MADE IN FRANCE
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Music Composed and Performed by Rob

World Premiere CD Release. Expanded edition.
    37 minutes of music, including 3 previously unreleased tracks.

Ref: MBR-096

In collaboration with Hippocampus and Radar Films, Music Box Records presents the premiere CD release of the score for Nicolas Boukhrief's Made in France (2015) composed by Rob (Maniac, Horns, Populaire).

The plot of this French crime thriller-drama film follows a freelance journalist who infiltrates the underground hardcore preaching mosques, befriending four local young men who dream of training for Jihad. A Frenchman, converted to islam, comes back from Pakistan with a mission for them: launch a deadly attack in Paris.

Rob utilized cinematic codes, as if this were a John Carpenter film: sequences made spine-tingling by use of electronica, rhythm machines, and film noir themes. The electronic score has a very late-'70’s vibe.

For this premiere release of Rob’s Made in France score on compact disc, Music Box Records has added three bonus tracks which did not appear on previous vinyl or digital releases.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Fugue (3:00)
    2. Taqiya (1:14)
    3. Trapped (2:16)
    4. Rise and Fall (1:20)
    5. Bullet (3:47)
    6. Taqiya Night (0:57)
    7. Slow Fugue (2:58)
    8. Peshawar (2:40)
    9. Voodoo Bullet (1:41)
    10. Heartbroken (1:14)
    11. Bomb (1:05)
    12. Guns and Knives (1:05)
    13. Execution (3:25)
    14. Hero (3:58)

BONUS TRACKS

15. Fugue (Early Demo) (3:31)
    16. Fugue Fast (1:48)
    17. Heart (1:28)

Total Time • 37:44

For sound clips and available for order, please visit: http://www.musicbox-records.com/en/3509 … rance.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2016
    I've already acquired the MADE IN FRANCE soundtrack by Rob (the earlier version without the bonus tracks). Superb score -- one of my favourites of the year so far.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The weird Jack sale:

LA-LA LAND’S “YOU DON’T KNOW JACK” SPECIAL!

Celebrate the return of BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA’s “Jack Burton” with great prices on powerhouse scores featuring other heroes proudly named “Jack!” “Jack Ryan” of PATRIOT GAMES is only $15 each, “Jack Reacher” of JACK REACHER, “Jack Traven” of SPEED and “Jack Moffitt” of RAT PATROL VOL. 2 are only $10 each. And since “Jack” is often a nickname for “John”… get “John McClane” of DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE for only $15 each and “John Matrix” of COMMANDO and “John Shaft” of SHAFT for only $10 each. Sale prices start on 5/3 at 12noon (PST) and are good through 5/16. Now you really do know Jack!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Some new (upcoming) releases:

Via https://www.facebook.com/events/941246689321736/
    Note: No label specified yet. Could this be a Varese CD Club title?

This Trancers event will begin at 2 PM at Creature Features in Burbank, followed by a CD signing. Merchandise will also be able available to purchase from the cast and crew for a separate charge. Signed CD's will also be available via mail order on Friday, May 13 at 12 noon for those unable to attend.

To find out more, as well as to pre-order signed "Trancers 1 - 3" CDs, go to the Creature Features website at:

www.creaturefeatures.com

The complete scores to an animated series called "Ulysse 31" (Denny Crockett and Ike Egan / Shuki Levy)

https://www.discogs.com/Denny-Crockett- … se/8456022

One user commented on the FSM board about it:

The forthcoming release contains 119 tracks on 2 CD´s and contains everything that was heard in the show, even sound effects and plenty of unreleased stuff.
  4. Poster art from Qartet for all their releases for May:
    LINK
  5. Varese accidently put up a banner yesterday (briefly) with images of three of the of the five Club titles:

"Volcano" (no surprise)
    "Starship Troopers"

And the perplexing: "Spartacus". Is this a watered down one with no book, CD of inspired themes? Were those rumors of stereo tapes more than hopeful rumors? We'll find out on May 9.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2016
    Wow, a new Starship Troopers release would be awesome!
    A more accessible Spartacus release as well! Good news!
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    Starship Troopers is fantastic!!!! I hope it will be true.

I have the Box edition of Spartacus (Masterpiece) and I´ll buy the new release

I wish the encore edition of Under the volcano by Alex North and the expanded edition of Small soldiers or Dolores Claiborne
  6. punk

I could've waited one more year for its 20th anniversary but if it is indeed Starship Troopers then I won't object at all. One of my last remaining holy grails.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. yeah
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Kritzerland has released "Jane Eyre" for people who didn't get the Herrmann at Fox box.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Kritzerland has released "Jane Eyre" for people who didn't get the Herrmann at Fox box.

Probably my favourite Herrmann, but I'm kinda pleased with the suite I have on the CONCERT SUITES set. I'm a bit weary of original recordings when it comes to older scores, sound quality-wise.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016
    The quality isn't the best but still more than adequate
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016
    I'm in the process of comparing the Jane Eyre on Naxos with the OST offering from Kritzerland. There is a difference in the sound.
    Tom
  8. Coming full circle in a way, the very first post of this thread was by me pointing out a CD of scoring from "The Venture Bros." was coming out. In June Volume 2 will be released. The music is still by J.G. Thirwell.

If you haven't seen the adult-oriented series with demented humor, it's very recommended. Unlike some aniamted shows, the character grow older and their lives are evolving.

Music selections from what I am retroactively titling Volume 1:

"Tuff" (which includes the show's theme in extended version)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WblP-uRQ_U

"Thunder-Bro"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11wPmoU9VNw

And the kick-ass music that was used for the trailers before the series aired, and was tracked into various episodes: "X1 Krashi / Woozzy"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A91MNap49c
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2016
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote

Probably my favourite Herrmann, but I'm kinda pleased with the suite I have on the CONCERT SUITES set. I'm a bit weary of original recordings when it comes to older scores, sound quality-wise.

Are you talking about the London series of Herrmann recordings?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote

Yes, probably. This one:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nEZYA1gkvQs/R … rrmann.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
  9. And so the Varese CD Club titles are indeed:

"Starship Troopers" (2CD)
    "Volcano"
    "Spartacus" (the stereo tracks from the box set with some bonuses)
    "Joe and the Volcano" (with extra score and a new mastering, plus to two alternate cues)
    and finally "Zelly and Me" (Pino Donaggio)

But technically the last one is a Encore series title, which have been seperate from the Club titles, yet they said there were five titles in the CD Club batch, in their original Facebook announcement.

Plus the wording in the opening paragraph of the "Spartacus" title is confusing and redundant. It must be Confusing Day at Varese Sarabande.
  10. A shame we have to wait two full weeks (at least) to hear the splendor of one of Basil's very best compositions.

But to be fair, I could've waited one more whole year, so 2 weeks is nothing. smile

The only other one that might interest me is Volcano, which is an underrated Silvestri.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  11. Well, some people have been waiting since 1997's original album, so.....
  12. Luckily in the meantime the complete score has been available, in great quality too.

It's just something else to have it released, to hold the jewel case, to read the booklet, to play the officially pressed CD's... Oh yes, infinitely better than what we have been holding onto all these years. cheesy

That is, if there's nothing wrong with the mastering... I certainly hope not.
  13. Eh, there's never been a complete release per se, but at least three editions that each contained material not on the other, and I think ultimately none were complete even if you combined them, then there's the fact some had bad fade-outs, edits, and the qaulity was okay, but nothing special.

I've never gone gaga over the score (aside from two cues), but my opinion certainly has been revised up on it over the years and I'll have to put this on the back burner to get.
  14. There has been at least one bootleg that was pretty complete and in great sound quality too. I know, because I've heard it a couple of times now, and no other bootleg came close. I think it was assembled by using the isolated score cues from the Region 1 DVD. With the one demo version of Whiskey Outpost rescue it's about 90 minutes long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Well, some people have been waiting since 1997's original album, so.....

...and some of us have not been waiting at all. Great score, perfect representation as is.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote

...and some of us have not been waiting at all. ...

James and you to be precise. Everybody else are well pleased. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2016 edited
    This marks the first time in years that I've immediately purchased a score re-issue, and not just one, I immediately bought both Starship Troopers and Spartacus (interesting to have them both released in the same batch, as they're both very militaristic, epic and bombastic, of their own time). Funny how, even though you've just paid $60 dollars on music, you still feel like you've saved $80 on Spartacus.

Starship Troopers I basically bought because I love, love the score. It's a pity this release has so many tracks of under a minute, sometimes even under 20 seconds, so I will probably distill my own playlist from the 2 CD's, and I've already calculated that'll be a 70 minute playtime, but that will be so much better than the 30 minutes we had until now! (Even though that was an excellent selection for a 30 minute score, this just warrants a full 70 minute release).

Now if only they'd release that Lionheart score...
  16. Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote

...and some of us have not been waiting at all. Great score, perfect representation as is.

- You have never seen the movie.
    - You have seen the movie but the audio was silent.
    - You have not heard anything else beyond those 30 minutes.
    - You think those other 60 minutes are just bland boring underscore.

One of these points must be true, or you wouldn't be saying what you've said. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote

Yes, probably. This one:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nEZYA1gkvQs/R … rrmann.jpg

I have those on LP but haven't remastered them to CD yet.
  17. Very excited to get my hands on the expanded Starship Troopers at last, some absolutely fantastic material left off the original release!
  18. DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote

- You have never seen the movie.
    - You have seen the movie but the audio was silent.
    - You have not heard anything else beyond those 30 minutes.
    - You think those other 60 minutes are just bland boring underscore.
    - You are the King of Weirdtardedland.

One of these points must be true, or you wouldn't be saying what you've said. wink

Fixed.