• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008
    Bregje wrote
    I'd say 4 is the easy one!?

That one too! tongue

And you're the new player!

franz_conrad: 29 points
    Bregt: 19 points
    FalkirkBairn: 16 points
    Bregje: 8 points
    Thor: 8 points
    Anthony: 6 points
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    (I must admit I posted my previous message kind of impulsively as I was listening to the game for the first time. Some easier ones came along later on indeed...
    wink )

But, WOW!!, great game. I would never have thought that different instrumentation can be so confusing! With each clip my first association is with another piano tune I know, meaning that I have a stronger connection with the sound of the instrument than with the tune of the clip! Anyone else experienced that too? I have a hard time not thinking about the piano so to speak.

Also nice to hear some familiar tunes on piano so unexpectedly. It is very moving acually! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote
    But, WOW!!, great game. I would never have thought that different instrumentation can be so confusing! With each clip my first association is with another piano tune I know, meaning that I have a stronger connection with the sound of the instrument than with the tune of the clip! Anyone else experienced that too? I have a hard time not thinking about the piano so to speak.

Also nice to hear some familiar tunes on piano so unexpectedly. It is very moving acually! wave

Good to hear you're enjoying the game that much, it was indeed one of my intentions! The power of instrumentation, and with a piano, you basically really go to the 'roots' of the composition (no wonder many composers start out writing on a piano!). In some cases these clips show even how much the quality of the composition sometimes gets judged on the instrument it's played on; it's the piano that all of a sudden makes something into a 'classy' theme!

I love this instrument smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    BobdH wrote
    ...and with a piano, you basically really go to the 'roots' of the composition (no wonder many composers start out writing on a piano!).

I think I understand what you mean, but I guess I was saying the exact opposite?
    I suppose a composer can immediately imagine the tune with other instruments, something that I, as it appeared while playing this game, can not!

Will give it a second shot tomorrow with the speakers. cheesy

And about the piano in general: I have mixed feelings about it. I can be very bored by piano music but also very moved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, true, you were saying somewhat the opposite, but I meant you might discover through these transcriptions, that the piano-version is the root of the composition. It's just that the instrumentation can change the feel of the music so much, which you can discover when listening to these transcriptions smile (mmm... if you get what I mean dizzy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    And Plindboe enters the game with 19 points, giving Bregt a startle for sure. He might drive him off that second spot!

franz_conrad: 32 points
    Plindboe: 19 points
    Bregt: 19 points
    FalkirkBairn: 18 points
    Bregje: 8 points
    Thor: 8 points
    Anthony: 6 points
  1. Before I spend some more guesses, I might wait for some clues. (Though I now know which score by composer X appears for clip 16. wink )
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    franz_conrad wrote
    Before I spend some more guesses, I might wait for some clues. (Though I now know which score by composer X appears for clip 16. wink )

Y'know, if you got that one right, that means every score has been guessed correctly at least once! Except the bonus. Nobody has gotten the bonus. Yet. tongue (and there's at least one person over here I know will get it wink).
  2. BobdH wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Before I spend some more guesses, I might wait for some clues. (Though I now know which score by composer X appears for clip 16. wink )

Y'know, if you got that one right, that means every score has been guessed correctly at least once! Except the bonus. Nobody has gotten the bonus. Yet. tongue (and there's at least one person over here I know will get it wink).

Damn. It's clip 15 I meant! I don't have a clue what 16 is. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2008
    Ahhhh, 15! Oh, yeah, duh, it's about time you got that one! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    New scores up! (few posts up). Now franz is getting frighteningly close to a perfect score... wink

Demetris! Tommy_Boy! Southall! Stavroula! Where are your guesses? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I downloaded the tracks back home mate but i am not there during the last couple of days wink When will the results be announced? I am definitely going to play this for my 5 points! wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Just curious: who wants to admit that clip 20 is a very nice composition? tongue

Hey Bob, will you post the original / orchestral versions with the answers if there are any? I know that would mean making double the clips, but in some cases I'd really like to hear it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I downloaded the tracks back home mate but i am not there during the last couple of days wink When will the results be announced?

Well, I put the game up on monday, so naturally I'll post the awnsers a week later, so next monday. But if you need a little more time, I guess I could stall it a bit?

Christodoulides wrote
    I am definitely going to play this for my 5 points! wink

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregje wrote
    Hey Bob, will you post the original / orchestral versions with the answers if there are any? I know that would mean making double the clips, but in some cases I'd really like to hear it!

Just for the sake of hearing the original versions next to the transscriptions for comparison? Sure, I'll see if I can do that smile There are only 10 tracks that would double, then, the rest are the originals smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    BobdH wrote
    There are only 10 tracks that would double, then, the rest are the originals smile

Now that's a hint! Thank you!
    I thought most clips were transcriptions, so I've been imagining other instruments for all of those hehe.
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, it's ok, i don't need more time mate, during the weekend i'll CLAIM my WHOLE LOTTA points for sure! Beware! kill
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregje wrote
    BobdH wrote
    There are only 10 tracks that would double, then, the rest are the originals smile

Now that's a hint! Thank you!
    I thought most clips were transcriptions, so I've been imagining other instruments for all of those hehe.
    dizzy

Now I feel how FalkirkBairn must've felt biggrin

If you go to the first topic, you'll see I said:

Furthermore, of the 20 clips, only half of them (exactly 10) are presented the way they appear within the film. The other half of the clips are new transcriptions, done either by the original composer, a close collaborator of the composer, professional pianists or, in a few cases, transcripted and played by a very gifted (and surprisingly young) amateur.

Go quick to the first post! There's more hints! wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Just remember the rule, Demetris - I must come last. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    crazy crazy kill devil on Anthony!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, Krish4479, you didn't see that! We're peaceful! angelic See? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    angelicangelicangelicangelicangelicangelic Jesus loves you and all angelicangelicangelicangelicangelicangelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    During the weekend I will send my guesses too!
    Demetris the 5 points are mine! tongue
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    angelicangelicangelicangelicangelicangelic Jesus loves you and all angelicangelicangelicangelicangelicangelic

Except me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Except me.

I just had a word with my son, it was a close call but he said he does love you a bit biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Bregje wrote
    Just curious: who wants to admit that clip 20 is a very nice composition? tongue

I'll admit to it, Bregje. But your added smilie worries me somewhat - it sounds very familiar and it's a great piece. And from what BoddH has said to me I think that it's one that I should get. But I haven't worked it out so far. And I've had it on "track repeat" for ages now!

I sometimes find it very difficult to identify these when they have been transcribed or adapted for a smaller ensemble. Clip 17, for example; I originally couldn't identify it but when it did eventually become clear what it was I couldn't believe that I didn't recognise it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregje wrote

I'll admit to it, Bregje. But your added smilie worries me somewhat - it sounds very familiar and it's a great piece. And from what BoddH has said to me I think that it's one that I should get. But I haven't worked it out so far. And I've had it on "track repeat" for ages now!

biggrin
    Kazoo
  4. Bregt wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregje wrote

biggrin

Don't tell me you also think that I should know it! crazy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Don't tell me you also think that I should know it! crazy

I don't know, but it was funny. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Except me.

I just had a word with my son, it was a close call but he said he does love you a bit biggrin

The feeling is not mutual.

...oh, and answer a friggin prayer for once will ya? Jeez.