• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2008
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    Just a quick question, would it possible for the music files to not be in RAR form (whatever that is) as i don't have a program that can open it, (unless i'm being stupid) and i doubt i'm the only one. Am fine with all the files being lumped together in one big file, just not RAR!!

Here are the clips in zip format
    http://download.yousendit.com/27A7DC7C46EF32FE
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2008 edited
    If in the next game the person doing it groups the clips in a ZIP file, people without WinZip or WinRAR etc. will at least be able to open it as a Compressed Zip Folder with windows. You can't currently do that with RAR files. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Sure, but I don't own a zip programma, and with .rar apparantly being the leading thingy at the moment... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oke, guys, awnsers will be up later tonight, so you've got about 2 hours left to send any last minute guesses! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Anthony wrote
    If in the next game the person doing it groups the clips in a ZIP file, people without WinZip or WinRAR etc. will at least be able to open it as a Compressed Zip Folder with windows. You can't currently do that with RAR files. wink

Or use http://www.7-zip.org/. Does it all.
    And it's open source.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You're really against all the "standard" programmes aren't you Bregt? tongue I don't blame you though, open source stuff for the win! wink
  1. I was planning to zip the next set of files myself. Does it really matter what program I do this with?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I was planning to zip the next set of files myself. Does it really matter what program I do this with?

Apart from the obvious condition that Anthony shouldn't be able to open it, I don't think it matters.

Looking forward to the answers, Bob. I really enjoyed listening to the clips - as Franz said, you can listen to the whole lot from start to finish and it's a decent listening experience!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I can't believe there actually are people who don't have winzip or winrar on their computers!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    And the awnsers are revealed! Of course, franz won, with a whopping 34 points! Congratulations, and thanx all for playing! beer

franz_conrad: 34 points
    FalkirkBairn: 24 points
    JuPe: 23 points
    BhelPuri: 23 points
    Bregt: 21 points
    Demetris: 20 points
    Plindboe: 19 points
    Bregje: 14 points
    Southall: 10 points
    Thor: 8 points
    Anthony: 6 points
    Stavroula: 4 points

See below for all the awnsers. I also included the albums on which they can be found, for those who wish to get them. Plus, at Bregje's request, I made clips of the original recordings of the piano-transcriptions featured in the clips, so you can compare! They can be found at the following link (in a .rar file, sorry wink): http://www.sendspace.com/file/onbg8q

1. 1958 - Bernard Herrmann - Vertigo
    2007 piano transcription of the classic score, by Stephan Oliva.
    Album: Ghosts of Bernard Herrmann
    Original version to be found in the ‘originals’ file.

2. 1960 - Bernard Herrmann - Psycho Suite
    2007 piano transcription of the classic score, by Stephan Oliva.
    Album: Ghosts of Bernard Herrmann

3. 1992 - Philip Glass - Candyman (Music Box)
    Original recording.

4. 1993 - Michael Nyman - The Piano (Big My Secret)
    The Big Obvious One. The version used is to be found on the 2006 rerelease The Piano Sings. The original piece was, however, already intended as a solo piano.

5. 1995 - Alexandre Desplat - Les Peches Mortels (Celia's Theme)
    Original recording.

6. 1995 - Michael Nyman - The Diary of Anne Frank (Why)
    2006 piano transcription by Michael Nyman himself.
    Album: The Piano Sings

7. 1996 - Gabriel Yared - The English Patient (Read Me to Sleep)
    Original recording.

8. 1999 - Elliot Goldenthal - In Dreams (Clair's Nocturne)
    Original recording.

9. 2000 – Hans Zimmer – Gladiator (The Battle)
    Transcription by Dutch / Indonesian talent Wibi Soerjadi.
    Album: Wibi’s album Pieces of a Dream

10. 2001 - Michael Andrews - Donnie Darko (Did You Know Him?)
    Original recording. Apparantly, not many of you knew him sad

11. 2002 - Philip Glass - The Hours (Dead Things)
    Philip Glass’ regular pianoplayer Michael Riesman transcripted The Hours score for piano.
    Album: Music From “The Hours”

12. 2004 – Jan AP Kaczmarek – Finding Neverland (Piano Variation in Blue)
    Pianist Leszek Mo?d?er gave improvisations on Kaczmareks themes from the film (and in doing so surpassed the quality of the score).
    Album: Finding Neverland OST

13. 2005 - Harry Gregson Williams - The Chronicles of Narnia
    Piano transcription by 19 year old German pianist Patrik Pietschmann. Not released, yet the full versions can be downloaded for free at his official website: www.patrik-pietschmann.de

14. 2005 - Mychael Danna - Capote (Epitaph)
    Original recording.

15. 2005 - Danny Elfman - Corpse Bride (The Piano Duet)
    Piano transcription of one of the films main themes, by Victor and a dead lady.
    Album: Corpse Bride OST

16. 2005 - Thomas Newman - Jarhead [7M3]
    I told you guys it was a tricky one. While Thomas Newman is known for always including at least one piano theme, it was missing from the commercial release of Jarhead. However, this was taken from the academy promo wink One for the fans.

17. 2006 – John Powell - X-Men-The Last Stand
    Piano transcription by 19 year old German pianist Patrik Pietschmann. Not released, yet the full versions can be downloaded for free at his official website: www.patrik-pietschmann.de

18. 2006 - Clint Mansell - The Fountain (The Last Man)
    Original recording.

19. 2007 - Joel McNeeley - I Know Who Killed Me (Fairytale Theme)
    Original recording.
    Not only did Joel McNeely conduct the re-release of Psycho and Vertigo, he also drew quite some inspiration from Bernard Herrmann in the composing of this elegant thriller score. Hence the clue…

20. 2007 – Steve Jablonsky – Transformers (Arrival to Earth)

Bonus - Demetris Christodoulides - Piano Movement nr 1
    Three persons got it, with one even guessing it was Basil Poledouris who wrote this touching piece for piano. It shows a remarkable talent is in our midst, and one to keep an eye on. He might reappear within these games in the future, and not just as a bonus wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My God, I'm really out of it. I was about to send you a new message, where I had Zimmer's GLADIATOR (I guessed Zimmer's PIRATES the first time around, but you said that both film and composer were wrong, so that kinda confused me) and a guess on Goldenthal in 8 (can't believe I didn't catch that the first time around!), but 11 points wouldn't have been much to brag about in any case. I actually had THE PIANO once, so it's kinda embarassing that I didn't catch that. And I MAY also have recognized THE FOUNTAIN now that I saw the movie for the first time two days ago. I already got 1, 2, 15 and a guess on Thomas Newman in 16.

I've not heard ANY of the others. So not my kinda quiz this time, I guess, but an interesting one. And piano music still rules! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. BobdH wrote
    10. 2001 - Michael Andrews - Donnie Darko (Did You Know Him?)
    Original recording. Apparantly, not many of you knew him sad

14. 2005 - Mychael Danna - Capote (Epitaph)
    Original recording.

Of the ones I didn't know, I probably should have guessed these!
    I have the cues all lined up, I just have to cut the clips. They should be up within a day.
    Thanks for a good game Bob. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Good game, Bob!

I guess you must have had a nice chuckle over my ruling out Jarhead. I just didn't think it'd have such a nice piano cue crazy
    I should have got the Elfman sad
    I should have also paid attention to Franz's comment on vain guesses for John Williams shocked
  3. I submitted my answers as Bob put them up, got two points sad so no accusations of cheating...

Need more J. Williams to be able to compete (no hints franz smile )
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
  4. My remark about John Williams had nothing to do with the game. I was objecting to those who used the Lord's name in vain. Noone got the joke, obviously. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I could have gotten at least three more. slant

Sorry I didn't found yours Demetris. shocked shame
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2008 edited
    Thor wrote
    I guessed Zimmer's PIRATES the first time around, but you said that both film and composer were wrong, so that kinda confused me...

If you look it up, you'll see I actually gave you 1 point for guessing Zimmer correctly, and put Zimmers name in blue wink

I quote myself:

9. pirates of the caribbean - hans zimmer 1 point Close...

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2008
    Great game Bob!!!

I got all the ones I possibly could, and in my first and only guess, so I'm quite satisfied with my 19 points. I enjoyed the bonus too, great job Demetris!

I don't have time to prepare any games myself. Hope someone will volunteer.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Heh, well I got everthing I should at least. wink

LOL at the Bonus. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    If you look it up, you'll see I actually gave you 1 point for guessing Zimmer correctly, and put Zimmers name in blue wink

Hot damn, you're right! Makes it even more deserving that I scored so low! shame
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Noooo, I didn't win at being last!! cry
  5. plindboe wrote
    Great game Bob!!!

I got all the ones I possibly could, and in my first and only guess, so I'm quite satisfied with my 19 points. I enjoyed the bonus too, great job Demetris!

I don't have time to prepare any games myself. Hope someone will volunteer.

Peter smile

Well, I might wanna volunteer for once, making the final preparations for what promises to be a cool yet perhaps difficult game. The only thing is, where to store it?

Bregt, you know a place? tongue

Oh and Bob, tough but original game bud wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I have an idea for a good game, but I suspect it's going to be stupidly easy for some people here and stupidly hard for others. Maybe I'll do it as another ''Do you know'' game some time..but I don't know when!
  6. Anthony wrote
    I have an idea for a good game, but I suspect it's going to be stupidly easy for some people here and stupidly hard for others. Maybe I'll do it as another ''Do you know'' game some time..but I don't know when!

Well if Bregt knows where to store it, I could already start this evening smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Anthony wrote

Man, haven't you learned anything yet? "IF" and "KNOW" are never placed in the same sentence when we're talking about Bregt!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Tommy_Boy wrote

Tommy,
    Just check Franz's posts earlier. I think Franz is all set with the next game. You might want to do it after Franz's game.

franz_conrad wrote
    I have the cues all lined up, I just have to cut the clips. They should be up within a day.
  7. BhelPuri wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

Tommy,
    Just check Franz's posts earlier. I think Franz is all set with the next game. You might want to do it after Franz's game.

franz_conrad wrote

Damn, and me wanna present one so bad sad tongue wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm up for doing a game after Franz and whoever does the one after that. I need time to develop my idea and get decent clips, but it should be good! smile
  8. Anthony wrote
    I'm up for doing a game after Franz and whoever does the one after that. I need time to develop my idea and get decent clips, but it should be good! smile

Hey hey, mine is standing ready and my idea is good as well, me wanna host now biggrin
    So I'm next tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Got franz' clips already. smile
    Kazoo