• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. tjguitar wrote
    I am saddened (but not surprised) to see the usual Tyler bashing. No distinct voice? Are you kididng me? Have you people even LISTENED to Tyler scores?

I think people are exaggerating for rhetorical effect. Surely what they mean is most of Tyler's showcases a distinct voice that isn't very interesting. biggrin

Flame on...

NP: Atonement (Marianelli)

One of my favourite scores this year. Just read the novel. Now THIS is what I call good musical storytelling. Pity The Brave One wasn't that distinct.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007
    tjguitar wrote
    And Demetris I think you might have meant to say that there is no OBJECTIVE criteria to judge tastes on.

Indeed, thanks for the correction.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    tjguitar wrote
    I am saddened (but not surprised) to see the usual Tyler bashing. No distinct voice? Are you kididng me? Have you people even LISTENED to Tyler scores?

I think people are exaggerating for rhetorical effect. Surely what they mean is most of Tyler's showcases a distinct voice that isn't very interesting. biggrin

Flame on...

NP: Atonement (Marianelli)

One of my favourite scores this year. Just read the novel. Now THIS is what I call good musical storytelling. Pity The Brave One wasn't that distinct.

I was exaggerating, yeah, but to show something else. I don't think that Tyler's voice is very distinct and even if it was, I don't think I'd want to get through his cliche chord progressions (AVP 2, Frailty, Darkness Falls) or temp-track (Greatest Game Ever Played) ridden material, to get through it, because not only I think he loves doing just that (doesn't demand much work and, indeed, talent), but I also wonder if he really *deserves* it, because no Tyler material made me jump off my socks yet. I had that problem with Giacchino (then again, I adored Medal of Honor and liked all his works by then), until I found a very *distinct* voice of his and Powell almost immediately started with his own style. With Rambo I have this feeling of a guy very happy to rip Goldsmith off, this time legally. Yes, I would be very happy and passioned if I could rewrite my favorite composers and even get paid for it! Pretty big money.

So sorry, unless Tyler does something that leaves me completely in awe and jaw-dropped I will be a nay-sayer who will wonder if the man not only is as great as people say he is, but if he's even got the talent to do it. Harsh? Maybe. But I've listened to film scores for 12 years already and I dare to say that I've never before encountered a composer who would be so praised and get so many work and everything I could give him is being able to orchestrate. As I said, nothing big is needed to rip off the temp-track or use a four-chord progression like he did in e.g. Paparazzi. I will be so harsh, because after my listenings to this composer, I think I have the right to this opinion.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TREVOR JONES - 13 Days

Contains one of the most irresistible main themes Jones has ever written!
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    TREVOR JONES - 13 Days

Contains one of the most irresistible main themes Jones has ever written!

Perhaps my favorite Trevor Jones score.
  4. Hans Zimmer - Broken Arrow

A guilty pleasure. Much better than the drivel called Drop Zone, Broken Arrow is probably Zimmer's most stylish (yes!) action score. Featuring a very decent Morricone pastiche, good guitar parts and completely undemanding techno-synth passages I must say I adore it. And it;s pretty damn melodic mostly (except some rather atonal parts, in Nuke, partly in Greed and Hammerhead too). And that theme. OH, THAT THEME!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Once Upon A Forest - James Horner

Perhaps my favourite of his many animation ventures during the late 80's/early 90's and one which I always find myself humming. The main theme is gorgeous as usual and of course the score was written around one of Horner's best periods.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem | Brian Tyler

F*ck yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem | Brian Tyler

F*ck yes.

'Been playing it all morning too! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Broken Arrow

A guilty pleasure. Much better than the drivel called Drop Zone, Broken Arrow is probably Zimmer's most stylish (yes!) action score. Featuring a very decent Morricone pastiche, good guitar parts and completely undemanding techno-synth passages I must say I adore it. And it;s pretty damn melodic mostly (except some rather atonal parts, in Nuke, partly in Greed and Hammerhead too). And that theme. OH, THAT THEME!

Agree. HE said he tried to beat his "Black Rain" with this one. Broken arrow was one of the first scores I noticed and the first score I bough. I really went crazy calling to every single shop to find this score....Until I discovered a "score.shop".

Did you notice how cool is the end of the first track??? pure Synthetic geniality!

NP:Tango and Cash (faltermeyer)

punk
  5. Pure Vangelis geniality I'd say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Pure Vangelis geniality I'd say.

Yeap!!!

Anyway...Broken arrow, specially with the vocals, Has a more symphonic feeling than other Scores of this genre from Zimmer. M:I2 compared with this is ......Well, not very good.

NP:Alien (Goldsmith)
    I changed to Alien, because Tango and Cash is just cool the first couple of tracks and because I want to make a Alien saga saturday (yes Includint tyler's score)
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007 edited
    What's wrong guys?!Does Hermes have a reversed course and causes controversy?I see that for the past few hours I was away you had a lot of, let's say,"spirited" discussions!Damn, I missed the "fun" again! slant Just kidding! tongue
    Some thing to calm things down then!
    NP: Finding Neverland ~Jan A.P. Kaczmarek
    Beautiful,lyrical and uplifting because after all when you don't think about themes,motifs and so on music is just all about that!Lifting you high!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  6. Nautilus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Pure Vangelis geniality I'd say.

Yeap!!!

Anyway...Broken arrow, specially with the vocals, Has a more symphonic feeling than other Scores of this genre from Zimmer. M:I2 compared with this is ......Well, not very good.

NP:Alien (Goldsmith)
    I changed to Alien, because Tango and Cash is just cool the first couple of tracks and because I want to make a Alien saga saturday (yes Includint tyler's score)

Broken Arrow and M:I-2 are completely different beasts. Both are fun and inspired (yeah!) scores. But M:I-2 was *never* about being decently coherent, but it's still fun.
  7. Stavroula wrote
    What's wrong guys?!Does Hermes have a reversed course and causes controversy?I see that for the past few hours I was away you had a lot of, let's say,"spirited" discussions!Damn, I missed the "fun" again! slant Just kidding! tongue
    Beautiful,lyrical and uplifting because after all when you don't think about themes,motifs and so on music is just all about that!Lifting you high!

It's Brian Tyler not Hermes sad biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Stavroula wrote

It's Brian Tyler not Hermes sad biggrin

LOL!!!! biggrin biggrin
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote

Broken Arrow and M:I-2 are completely different beasts. Both are fun and inspired (yeah!) scores. But M:I-2 was *never* about being decently coherent, but it's still fun.

Nope, Of couse not. Because Zimmer was too busy with Gladiator.

A lot of cues from M:I2 are from another composers (Said By Badelt in one interview).

Anyway, Injection and Seville are pretty damn good tracks!
  8. Gladiator too, yes. But Zimmer loves to have such improvisational fun.

Yes, the band sat down and improvised around Zimmer's themes and Schifrin's one.
  9. And when it comes to Aliens, I must admit to not having heard the Frizzell score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STARSHIP TROOPERS - Basil Poledouris

In my top 5 Poledouris scores....f***king fantastic! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Christodoulides wrote
    Switched to CHRISTOPHER YOUNG | The shipping news

Not as excited as the rest with this score (TOO much Celtic stuff for me) but i have to admit the main theme's infectious!

I just love this score - particularly the main title theme. I have to admit though that this score went way up on my "greatest score list" after having Chris whistle this theme to me whilst drumming out the rhythm on the table of the SONCINEMAD festival hotel bar table.

One of the greatest moments ever!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    I've only really scanned the comments on Brian Tyler's "voice" and I have to say that there is a very distinctive "sound" for Tyler - and I have to say that I love it! If I had to be critical I'd say that this voice is pretty freely used in a variety of situations and there's a lot of similarity in the music in these various situations.

But I always have difficulty deciding when someone's "voice" between scores becomes repetition.

NP: The Chronicles of Narnia - Harry Gregson-Williams

Doing some homework! I stand by my comments that this is a very competent score with several highlights linked by a certain amount of servicable filler.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Doing some homework! I stand by my comments that this is a very competent score with several highlights linked by a certain amount of servicable filler.

For me, that's very much just down to personal feeling and taste. As long as the recognisable parts you hear feel fresh, it's a voice. If you go like, 'oh, already heard this before somewhere...", it's repetition. Also, the voice very much is in the sound, use of the orchestra and such, the repetition is in the composition / the writing itself, I think.
  11. Brian Tyler - Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift

I think I'll change it soon, really. Previously listened to AVP: Requiem (still standing by my opinion there, but I might add one thing - Coprocloakia is a very Hornerish piece and the score should have ended or a more calmer or rather resolving note, I don;t know - something more major-key? Just not another action piece) and I think I had enough of that heavy busy-and-loud-though-not-particularly-coherent melodically writing and hearing it more in Tokyo Drift now.
  12. BobdH wrote
    Also, the voice very much is in the sound, use of the orchestra and such, the repetition is in the composition / the writing itself, I think.

Thanks! It sounds obvious when I'm reading this back but it's good to have it highlighted and it's something I'll be considering when I'm listening in future.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.....oh, and did I say Brilliant?! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Pearl Harbor Complete - Zimmer
    Only heard this once before and I'd forgotten how good it is compared to the commercial version! smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  13. Timmer wrote

I can't recall which version you have. Was it you I sent a copy of the OST to? I know I sent it to someone!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I can't recall which version you have. Was it you I sent a copy of the OST to? I know I sent it to someone!!

Yep! It was me smile

At the moment I'm playing the more digestable Silva re-recording.
  14. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yep! It was me smile

At the moment I'm playing the more digestable Silva re-recording.

shocked

More digestable!!

NP: El Celo - Ángel Illarramendi

Thanks, Demetris. punk

Anyone tired of their usual listening habits could do worse that try Illarramendi's work. Personally, I think that he composes some really beautiful music.