• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2016 edited
    The problem I think is how people rush to the boards the moment they've had a quick listen of the score (probably not even completely from start to finish) to proclaim their disappointment as soon as it doesn't grab them right away. And on top of that, people talk in expletives. It "has no themes", it's Williams "on autopilot".

The BFG is a score that develops over listens, and the multitude of themes will become more apparent over several listens. It's quite weird to read people claiming how difficult the themes are to grasp, going on to state that this is a problem because they are supposedly 'badly structured' (!) while I've been having no difficulty to recollect them from memory since my first full listen and have them stuck in my head all morning!

Same happened with Star Wars, within days the response to The Force Awakens was overwhelmingly negative, go so far as to have people debating if Williams had 'lost it' and 'should he continue scoring the franchise, or who should take over?' By now, of course, the reaction to it has straightened out considerably, with still not everybody thinking it's brilliant, but at least the consensus is a lot more realistic now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2016
    BobdH wrote
    Same happened with Star Wars, within days the response to The Force Awakens was overwhelmingly negative, go so far as to have people debating if Williams had 'lost it' and 'should he continue scoring the franchise, or who should take over?'

shocked EH? uhm
    Not on THIS forum!
    (And who cares about any other, right? wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    The problem I think is how people rush to the boards the moment they've had a quick listen of the score (probably not even completely from start to finish) to proclaim their disappointment as soon as it doesn't grab them right away.

Although I'm trying to avoid that trap, I don't think anyone necessarily deserves ire for falling into it. If a score does disappoint on first listen, then so be it! It's quite interesting to see appreciation develop for a score, even if it's "I hate this score fuck everything kill me now" to "I love this score peace and love for everyone I hope I go to heaven". It's part of the process; what good is a forum if we can't talk about it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Plus, I'm no glutton for punishment.
    If I don't like something at first listen, I'll almost never will return to it. Why should I? I didn't LIKE it. Why on earth should I subject myself to it again?
    Surely the best I can hope for is that maybe it's not as bad as I thought it was?
    That's no kind of pay-off!
    (I've had a 180 degrees 'hate it' to 'love it' switch on soundtracks only ever once in my LIFE).

I've always looked with some suspicion on the "you need to learn to appreciate it" argument, which more often than not involve absolutely vile substances like cigars or whiskey. I have neither the patience, nor the interest to revisit something I didn't care about in the first place. UNLESS of course new information comes to light or something is pointed out I completely missed the first time around. But that is indeed what meetings of like-minded spirits are for: to provide new insights that at best can make me re-assess my own initial judgement.

But for BFG specifically I have read nothing yet that makes me want to return to the score.
    Yeah, great woodwind writing. Very skillful. Yeah, it's not unpleasant.
    It's also not particularly memorable, nor very interesting.
    And that's all she wrote.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Whisky's an odd one. The taste is like the pain felt from exercise: under any other circumstance it would be unbearable, but given the end result, you come to like it... even love it. Or maybe it's like spicy food. Spiciness isn't exactly pleasurable, but it can become enjoyable after a while?

I dunno. Fuck everything kill me now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I dunno. Fuck everything kill me now.

Millennial gothface.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2016
    There are scores where I MUST have repeated listens to "get it", especially of the more cerebral kind. To keep it on-topic, a score like IMAGES by JW didn't exactly strike me over the head with 'oh my God, this is the greatest and most beautiful thing ever' when I first heard it, but after hours upon deconstruction, it's a fascinating delve into the abstract and psychological.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. It has often been the case that a score I didn't like initially was elevated in my appreciation by a) watching the film, b) simply being in another mood c) broadening my tastes and interests over time.

So I am with Thor here and not with Martijn. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Captain Future wrote
    It has often been the case that a score I didn't like initially was elevated in my appreciation by a) watching the film, b) simply being in another mood c) broadening my tastes and interests over time.

So I am with Thor here and not with Martijn. smile

Volker

Me too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    It has often been the case that a score I didn't like initially was elevated in my appreciation by a) watching the film, b) simply being in another mood

These circumstances may make me appreciate some scores (more), but it's never led to a flip-flop yet.

c) broadening my tastes and interests over time.

That has introduced me to a great many new and wonderful things....but I can honestly say it's never made me appreciate previous music more.
  3. I'm with Martijn on this, at least to some degree. Repeat listens to a score, watching the film etc...yes, sometimes it helps me appreciate the score more, sometimes it increases my respect for it - but it has never made me go from something I dislike to something I like. In numerical terms, I don't think I've ever had more than maybe a half-star's-worth shift in opinion on any score - excepting, of course, some stuff I listened to when I was like 14-15 and had no opinions worth a damn. shame
  4. My opinions have always been highly relevant ... at least for me. tongue

While there is plenty of music that I have come to like over time there is literally no single piece of music that I liked at one time that I wouldn't like any more. That goes for my oldest musical memories that reach back when I was about five years old. Testimony of that are not only staples of songs from times gone by but also scores from children's TV shows that I used to watch in the mid 70s that today populate my music collection. dizzy

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm with Martijn on this, at least to some degree. Repeat listens to a score, watching the film etc...yes, sometimes it helps me appreciate the score more, sometimes it increases my respect for it - but it has never made me go from something I dislike to something I like. In numerical terms, I don't think I've ever had more than maybe a half-star's-worth shift in opinion on any score - excepting, of course, some stuff I listened to when I was like 14-15 and had no opinions worth a damn. shame

Do you also apply this to people? There are people I've met who've made terrible first impressions, but who have since become friends.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Hmm, kind of hard to say. I'm not the sort of person who harbors strong feelings of dislike for people, but at the same time I'm also not someone who makes close friends very easily, so I'll have to plead out of your question on the grounds of a too-small sample size. tongue
  6. Earlier in my score living history before I had really cultivated my tastes more fully, it was possible to hear somethign a second time years later and find a whole new appreciation for it. But now that my taste is more refined and broad, it's almost impossible now to do that with new scores. It's almost 100% for me: didn't like it the first listen, never will.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2016
  7. Excellent review. Thanks for sharing, James.
  8. Excellent review indeed. I side with Jon's observations though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2016
    Always outstanding reviews by James and Jon. With a few tweaks here and there I almost totally agree with James view.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. I came to this news 10 days late, but holy shit, it's worth posting for anyone who missed it.
  10. I am happy, not least for the maestro himself, that he is able to tackle this.

Volker
  11. Long live John Williams' adorable crush on Daisy Ridley and may it magically extended his career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2016
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Long live John Williams' adorable crush on Daisy Ridley and may it magically extended his career.

love
  12. I couldn't agree more. That theme. I couldn't get it out of my head for weeeeeks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2016
    I recently added all my John Williams concert works to an iTunes playlist, and put them in chronological order (feel free to insert joke here). It's been a fascinating journey, following his work through the decades.

I have all of his 60+ concert works, EXCEPT his piano sonata, wind quintet, symphony and recent piece "A Toast!", none of which are available anywhere, in any format.

Has anyone tried anything similar?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2016
    EXCELLENT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2016 edited
    Timmer wrote
    EXCELLENT!

Yup, saw it earlier today on FSM. I re-posted it on JWFAN.

It's great -- and very rare -- to see any of Williams' TV music being performed live, and although it's "just" the two themes from LIS (i.e. not any of the actual underscore), it's still a treat. The conductor is wrong when he states that this is some of JW's first TV music, though. Quite the contrary, it was composed towards the end of his TV career.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2016
    I thought that too. I wish people would do their homework.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2016 edited
    He recently recorded a third volume of Spielberg music (22 years after the second volume!) I hope it includes all the never-recorded concert arrangements of the Spielberg films he's done in the years since. Only confirmed pieces so far are Catch Me If You Can and Saving Private Ryan, but the recording session picture features children's choir which presumably means a first recording of the concert version of Amistad.
  13. Wow, really?!? Where did you see the picture James?

This is incredibly exciting news! I'd always hoped he would continue the series but the first two releases (2 of my most cherished recordings) where so close together and so long ago that I thought it would never happen. Is it the Boston Pops or has he recorded it in LA? Would be great if a new painting was commissioned like the first album. Can't wait to hear it!