• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    No Schindler? It's definitely my top Williams score.

Seems to be a very appreciated score, but rarely listened to. I love it, both as a score and an album. Definitely top ten material. Top five even.
  1. Top three for me. The Thin Red Line, Schindler's List and Legends of the Fall are my favorite scores of all time. no matter the composer.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    PawelStroinski wrote
    No Schindler? It's definitely my top Williams score.

Schindler, Angela's Ashes, Amistad, Private Ryan... all gorgeous scores, no questions. Unfortunately I'm a bigger fan of action/adventure scores than gorgeous scores, no matter how gorgeous.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very disappointed to see no one choosing JANE EYRE, easily in my top 5 and, I believe, one of Williams own favourite scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    After Erik's comments on the NP thread about 'Geisha' possibly being in his top 10 JW scores I thought I'd print mine.

After 1-5 they are in no particular order...

1. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS of THE 3rd KIND
    2. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
    3. STAR WARS / STAR WARS THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
    4. SUPERMAN
    5. THE FURY / JANE EYRE
    6. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

7. JAWS 2
    8. A.I.
    9. MONSIGNOR
    10. Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom

biggrin cool

I had to update my list......I didn't put Jane Eyre in it. shame

Top 12....what the hey! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Very disappointed to see no one choosing JANE EYRE, easily in my top 5 and, I believe, one of Williams own favourite scores.

John Williams can stuff it! Who cares what he thinks.

tongue

Jane Eyre is indeed lovely.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    All I know is Raiders and Empire are my top two!
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    mine seems to change. i can't remember what i put last time. it's probably different

1.) Empire Strikes Back
    2.) Raiders of the Lost Ark
    3.) ET
    4.) Star Wars
    5.) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    6.) Superman
    7.) Hook
    8.) Born on the Fourth of July
    9.) Jaws 2
    10.) Jurassic Park
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Gha, I love Jane Eyre, and 4th of July too! I'd almost be interested in issuing a top 11~20 for myself, because my top 10 is so generic. Maybe we should do this for other composers, who haven't had their feet planted in such epic franchises that I just have no choice to worship.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    I overlooked both Jane Eyre and Monsignor, I'm not sure if they'd hit the top 10, but they're both 2 of my favorites (wish Jane Eyre would get re-issued so I can replace my CD-R!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2008 edited
    Lists, eh? But hey, I'll give this another shot just for the heck of it. Here are my favourite Williams ALBUMS (which is not the same as my favourite Williams score-in-movies).....at the present time:

1. JURASSIC PARK
    2. RETURN OF THE JEDI
    3. HOOK
    4. INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
    5. JANE EYRE
    6. E.T.
    7. A.I.
    8. ANGELA'S ASHES
    9. SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE
    10. TEMPLE OF DOOM or THE FURY...can't make up my mind, so I cheat! smile

The relative merits between these fluctuate all the time, and there are a bunch of titles that get in and "replace" these once in a while (JAWS, the other STAR WARSes or INDIANA JONESes, the HOME ALONEs, the HARRY POTTERs - esp. number 3 etc.). That's how it is with Williams, whose output is so consistently good.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2008
    Thor, I am shocked that Return of the Jedi outranks SW, Empire & Raiders!
  2. tjguitar wrote

not me, Return of the Jedi is the best Star Wars score of all
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    tjguitar wrote

I love the forest battle, especially the concert version
    The ending to that piece is perfect!
  3. omaha wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    tjguitar wrote

I love the forest battle, especially the concert version
    The ending to that piece is perfect!

that's awesome too
    but I still adore the moment Williams uses soft choir to support the fight between a raging Luke and Darth Vader, simply awesome
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    tjguitar wrote

As far as RAIDERS is concerned, that has actually always been my LEAST favourite INDY score (although it's still spectacularly good, of course!).

RETURN OF THE JEDI is my favourite SW album because it contains most of the themes from the prequels while adding some glorious new setpieces - "Forest Battle", developed versions of the Emperor's theme, the glorious choral music for the Luke/Vader duel etc. It's just one highlight after the other.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    the glorious choral music for the Luke/Vader duel

see? wink
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    And you refer to the 1993 Anthology version of ROTJ, right Thor?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    tjguitar wrote
    And you refer to the 1993 Anthology version of ROTJ, right Thor?

Yes, indeed. The best presentation of that music, IMO (see? even I can like expanded releases, as long they're expanded just enough! smile)
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So you do actually like scores then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    So you do actually like scores then?

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    tjguitar wrote

I don't agree with that (the original will always be the best in my eyes) but it does contain my single favourite piece of Star Wars music, that anguished choral piece in the final lightsaber duel. And The Forest Battle is a brilliant album arrangement. And Luke & Leia is probably my favourite of the "softer" themes from the series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2008 edited
    Luke kicking Vader's ass is classic cinema, an absolute perfect scene that nothing in the prequels even came close to. And guess what? NO CGI.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    And Luke & Leia is probably my favourite of the "softer" themes from the series.

More than Han Solo and the Princess? smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Luke kicking Vader's ass is classic cinema, an absolute perfect scene that nothing in the prequels even came close to. And guess what? NO CGI.

Watching THAT in the cinema on it's release with THAT music put frigging chills-n-a'half up and down my spine....utterly UTTERLY sublime!!

And then to buy the soundtrack and THAT music wasn't on it???? crazy crazy crazy crazy explode
  5. For me Empire is the most all round brilliant SW score because that one is just full on bombast and thematic brilliance from start to finish, but Jedi is a close second because like Thor said, all themes are present including the awesome Emperor's theme, and the climactic battle cues which contain some of my favourite Williams music, and I will not even mention the spine tingling lightsaber duel that everyone keeps forgetting... biggrin

A New Hope of course is where it all started and where the foundation was made, but as brilliant as it is, it will never come before the others.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    tjguitar wrote
    And Luke & Leia is probably my favourite of the "softer" themes from the series.

That one's gorgeous but always makes me think of Spellbound (which is no bad thing I guess - it's good to think of Spellbound!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    tjguitar wrote

That one's gorgeous but always makes me think of Spellbound (which is no bad thing I guess - it's good to think of Spellbound!)

Then Luke and Leia's Theme should remind you of "Aurelia's Theme" from The Madwoman Of Chaillot. Trust me, that's far more distracting.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    What's The Madwoman of Chaillot? (I hope that question doesn't make me appear stupid!)

Edit: never mind, looked it up myself. Michael J. Lewis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Listen to my Charles Gerhardt Part 4 show

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/gerhardt.html

Hour 1 - The theme plays after The Reivers and Lost Weekend.

EDIT - Actually, here are the clips from the Copy and Paste thread.

The Madwoman Of Chaillot - "End Title" (Michael J. Lewis)
    http://www.dillusions.net/erik/clips/clip42.mp3

Return of the Jedi - "Luke and Leia" (John Williams)
    http://www.dillusions.net/erik/clips/clip43.mp3

-Erik-