• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010
    Received Black Sunday, yesterday! Surely an obligatory buy for everyone. Half of it is almost Williams doing Goldsmith (only better, hehe), the other half is some classic Williams, like the fugue and the Explosion and End tracks. You can almost tell it's the middle of his career; it has some close affinity with Jaws and his other 70 disaster scores, but also hints of other scores from Lost in Space to Saving Private Ryan and Munich.

And the sound quality is awesome! Surely one of the best sounding Williams releases from that period. (Why do the other older Williams scores always sound terrible in comparison with, say, Goldsmith scores from the same era?) And I'm a huge fan of rerecordings, even letting the Prague philharmonic off the hook sometimes, but this time there's no comparison with the (decent) Silva rerecording on this one.

A great release! And the more that buy it, the more 10000-copies releases we'll see in the future, probably. Win-win.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    fommes wrote
    Received Black Sunday, yesterday! Surely an obligatory buy for everyone. Half of it is almost Williams doing Goldsmith (only better, hehe)

I've listened to it and I wouldn't call it an obligatory buy for everyone, nor would I call it better than Goldsmith - just different. I think I will need to give this one a few more listens to really appreciate it, but even this Williams nut can admit this won't appeal to every score fan!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Well, admittedly, it won't appeal to any Zimmerites or so, since we're not used anymore to this kind of combination of bold, gritty and style, but surely this is one of the best action scores in a 70s and 80s style. It's Williams in the first half of his 'golden decade', what more can you want wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No disagreements here! Brilliant score. cool
  1. fommes wrote
    Received Black Sunday, yesterday...Half of it is almost Williams doing Goldsmith...

I thought this as well when I was listening to it the other day. A great score indeed!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010
    The moment we have all been waiting for ( hi Martijn!) smile

Big nostalgia time!

http://www.soundtrackcorner.de/movie-th … -p3912.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Tintin wrote

Big nostalgia time!

Meco is GREAT !
    Nostalgia indeed ... smile
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tintin wrote

Big nostalgia time!

I HAVE GOT TO HAVE THIS! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Same here. It looks like lot of fun!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Not sure if this is new, but it's pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk5_OSsawz4

You need to be in the right mood, but creative this certainly is biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Seen it before, but I never get tired of it. This guy is brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, he's pretty good, and it's one of those videos that quickly became viral, also far outside the film score community. It has almost 8 million views now.

Still, it's a bit too nerdy for my taste.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    According to an interview with the guy, he doesn't actually sing it. Huh...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote

Huh? confused
    It sure looks a lot like he sings it. Also, it seems to be his voice, if you compare it to video's of him talking, and stuff.

It's awesome nonetheless punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

Huh? confused
    It sure looks a lot like he sings it. Also, it seems to be his voice, if you compare it to video's of him talking, and stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ApprenticeA … 6Xi5HoVky8
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

He says on a film score forum. Great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was entertained smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very nerdy but absolutely cool and fun indeed!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

He says on a film score forum. Great.

Oh, I'm a nerd too. But I have no need to expose it to the rest of the world.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2010 edited
    Yeah, you wouldn't want people to think you were a nerd. That would be the worst thing in the world! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, you wouldn't want people to think you were a nerd. That would be the worst thing in the world! shocked

If I wanna get laid, yes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Actually some chicks dig the geeky vibe. You can admit to being a geek and still be "cool" (if you're concerned about that sort of thing). "Nerdyness" is quite a different matter, more connotations with social ineptness.

But nice to know you're ashamed of your hobbies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Actually some chicks dig the geeky vibe. You can admit to being a geek and still be "cool" (if you're concerned about that sort of thing).

Absolutely. And that's my motto. However, the antics of that STAR WARS a cappella dude doesn't actually go under the "cool" umbrella.

I'm not really one to talk, though. I even participated in a TV series for two seasons that was about nerds! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Actually some chicks dig the geeky vibe. You can admit to being a geek and still be "cool" (if you're concerned about that sort of thing). "Nerdyness" is quite a different matter, more connotations with social ineptness.

But nice to know you're ashamed of your hobbies.

Yeah, there's love for everyone wink But seriously, i agree with Steven. Nobody should be ashamed of their hobbies and things the love / they're good at. As long as you present them along in smart ways and you're not a pain in the ass for the other listening, or simply boring, there's nothing wrong with whatever anyone does. It doesn't have to do with what you do, but who you are; you could write music for Hollywood for instance, and be the most boring beer buddy ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    It doesn't have to do with what you do, but who you are; you could write music for Hollywood for instance, and be the most boring beer buddy ever.

Amen.
    Most of "us guys" are geeky in one way or the other, in the sense of "geeky" that means that some part of the population at large doesn't "get" us. Now most men just have that with football or cars, which is now so well established that "the other part" (in that particular case, women) accepts that as men's boy's toy stuff.

But JUST as with the more eclectic hobbies (like film music, which generally requires a lot more explanation before any degree of acceptance), if you let that hobby or interest define you and your personality (rather than the other way around), you'll quickly find people looking for another conversation partner...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    It doesn't have to do with what you do, but who you are; you could write music for Hollywood for instance, and be the most boring beer buddy ever.

Amen.
    Most of "us guys" are geeky in one way or the other, in the sense of "geeky" that means that some part of the population at large doesn't "get" us. Now most men just have that with football or cars, which is now so well established that "the other part" (in that particular case, women) accepts that as men's boy's toy stuff.

But JUST as with the more eclectic hobbies (like film music, which generally requires a lot more explanation before any degree of acceptance), if you let that hobby or interest define you and your personality (rather than the other way around), you'll quickly find people looking for another conversation partner...

Exactly. Plus 'men who like football and cars' attract women is a myth long passed. They're not attracted to any of those; in fact they DON'T give a shit about those, but you. They're attracted to you (or not), if you play the game right. How you define yourself, how you present your interests (whatever those might be) and your personality. If you're charming and know the tricks, it doesn't matter if you have a room full of star wars miniatures. If she's attracted to you and likes you for who you are but most importantly how you make her feel and how you treat her, she'll even hand-clean the miniatures whilst you're at work, one by one without even asking her to smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So, i'd say, Thor, hiding your interests and who you really are to get laid is a bit of a fail wink kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    beer

Christodoulides wrote
    ...it doesn't matter if you have a room full of star wars miniatures. If she's attracted to you and likes you for who you are but most importantly how you make her feel and how you treat her, she'll even hand-clean the miniatures whilst you're at work, one by one without even asking her to smile

slant
    Never got that far...
    Best I could ever hope for was resigned acceptance...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    So, i'd say, Thor, hiding your interests and who you really are to get laid is a bit of a fail wink kiss

That is, of course, not what I was saying. It was more a beef with the "nerd on display!" attitude in the John Williams guy video, a display of nerdiness or geekiness in itself rather than the actual interest behind it. That becomes the end result, anyway, as much as he wants to highlight the virtues of John Williams.

I've always been a proud geek and proud film music lover and not afraid to say so should the topic surface. However, I've never really liked demonstrative NERD BEHAVIOUR. 's all. An example would be if a potential girl asked me about my music interest. I would answer honestly and briefly, and perhaps even ask a question in return (i.e. if SHE has any soundtracks in her collection), but I wouldn't go on a 10-minute lecture about James Horner plagiarism issues or whatever.

In short: Nerd+social intelligence=cool. Nerd+social ineptidude=uncool.
    I am extremely serious.