• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2009
    Does anyone know what illness he suffered from?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Does anyone know what illness he suffered from?

Cancer. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ooow. sad sad
    Kazoo
  1. Well, he lived a long life, some people are not that lucky when diagnosed with cancer.

Can't say I heard much of this composer, but I'm sure he'll be missed by the community.

Rest in peace, Maurice.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2009 edited
    My grandfather is 84, in fact. He, too, struggles with various issues, among them prostate cancer and is really a pale shadow of what he once was. Personally, I don't think 84 is that old in this day and age, but it all depends on lifestyle, I guess, and whatever type of cancer you get (because it seems like everyone gets it sooner or later).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Ooow. sad sad

Well done for making this a "sticky" Bregt, lets hope it's a long time before any other composer thread gets this treatment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here is a fantastic Maurice Jarre appreciation article written by Randell Larson.

http://www.buysoundtrax.com/bsx_memorium.html

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2009 edited
    I came to know Maurice Jarre during the Eighties, when he experimented a lot on synth stuff and on mixing orchestra with synth stuff. Of course I know about his classics, but I will always remember him for his beautiful track Building the Barn from Witness, the fantastic, suspense-ridden main title from No Way Out, and one of his much overlooked masterpieces, Enemy Mine (which, BTW, is a wonderful Sci-Fi buddy movie; I don´t care about how much hate is dropped on the flick by the masses).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Here is a fantastic Maurice Jarre appreciation article written by Randell Larson.

http://www.buysoundtrax.com/bsx_memorium.html

-Erik-

Very well put.

Anyone else here familiar ( "familiar" is pushing it ) with Jarre's score to a 1980 film called Resurrection about a woman with miraculous healing powers? It's a fantastic score but has never been released in any form or even boot to my knowledge!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Such a shame about his passing. I didn't know his music too well, besides his Oscar favorites, but his name is legendary and music a classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sad Sad at another passing
    listen to more classical music!
  3. sas news indeed, we got the honor to see him at the recent WSA's and he looked like he could live a long way then.

Not much of a connaisseur of his music, but what I heard was good enough
    Rest in peace Maurice
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Just heard about this. He was one of my favorites. Seems like the great titans of film scoring are all departing.

Here's a tribute to his works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU9t9CAS6mc
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2009 edited
    Sad to see one of the greats pass away... I saw it on the Dutch news. Love his scores for Lawrence of Arabia and Tai Pan. The end track of Enemy Mine is also very nice.

He REALLY regret that I sold my mint copy of TAI PAN 10 years or so ago. (I thought to make some quick money, by selling it for 60 guilders to a filmmusic distributor...)

This is the second time I somehow foresaw the passing away of a filmmusic composer. The last time was with Jerry Goldsmith... on the day he passed away (before I knew about it) I was thinking..."I wonder how Jerry's health is) a few hours later... I read he passed away. Somewhat the same with Jarre, a few days ago I had the melody of the main romantic main theme of Tai Pan (a movie he wrote the score for) in my head all the time. Coincidence perhaps...

Thank you Mr. Jarre, you provided us with some great memorable music.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Farewell Mr Jarre and thanks for all the music!
    I have only the Silva compilation and the magnificient Sunshine which was a must buy after watching the movie. But there are so many others that I've heard on SST. No one did epics like him! sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2009
    http://www.amazon.com/Maurice-Jarre-Con … amp;sr=8-2

The above is also a nice compilation cd from Jarre.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Really sad to hear that sad

I liked his scores to Lawrence Of Arabia and the animated Return Of The King. May his soul rest in peace shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DemonStar wrote

I liked his scores to Lawrence Of Arabia and the animated Return Of The King. May his soul rest in peace shame

The animated RETURN OF THE KING?!? I've not heard about that. You're not thinking about the animated LORD OF THE RINGS, are you, with a score by Leonard Rosenman?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    The animated RETURN OF THE KING?!? I've not heard about that. You're not thinking about the animated LORD OF THE RINGS, are you, with a score by Leonard Rosenman?

There is an animated Return Of the King (by WB), but the score is by one Maury Laws.
    There's also a Return Of The King film about Henry VIII which was scored by Maurice Jarre, but I don't think that was an animation film?

Talos wrote
    This is the second time I somehow foresaw the passing away of a filmmusic composer. The last time was with Jerry Goldsmith... on the day he passed away (before I knew about it) I was thinking..."I wonder how Jerry's health is) a few hours later... I read he passed away. Somewhat the same with Jarre, a few days ago I had the melody of the main romantic main theme of Tai Pan (a movie he wrote the score for) in my head all the time. Coincidence perhaps...

Can I respectfully ask you to please STOP thinking about film composers, Talos? wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote

Are you sure you aren't thinking about Crossed Swords aka The Prince and The Pauper, I haven't seen the film in a long time but I'm sure the king was based on Henry VIII?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Are you sure you aren't thinking about Crossed Swords aka The Prince and The Pauper, I haven't seen the film in a long time but I'm sure the king was based on Henry VIII?

Ah, yes, it was the Henry VIII score by Jarre. I mixed them up with Maury Laws' Return of the King score, sorry.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Ah, yes, it was the Henry VIII score by Jarre. I mixed them up with Maury Laws' Return of the King score, sorry.

When or where was it called Henry VIII?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I can't remember what its title was (it did deal with Henry VIII), but I remember seeing it on TV once and liked the music. I looked it up and saw Jarre had scored it. Will check it again later.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    I can't remember what its title was (it did deal with Henry VIII), but I remember seeing it on TV once and liked the music. I looked it up and saw Jarre had scored it. Will check it again later.

As I said ( unless someone can prove me wrong? ) I'm sure the film you're talking about is Crossed Swords.

EDITED TO ADD :

Just looked it up on IMDB and it has a huge cast including Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch, Mark Lester, George C. Scott and Charlton Heston as Henry VIII smile wink

So there you go Ravi, Crossed Swords....and it's an excellent score too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Have you seen it?
    It's a VERY entertaining film (though Mark Lester is way too old in the title role, but that's a VERY minor quibble for an otherwise excellent film).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Have you seen it?
    It's a VERY entertaining film (though Mark Lester is way too old in the title role, but that's a VERY minor quibble for an otherwise excellent film).

Yes I have but it was a long time ago, I enjoyed it a lot but I always remembered the excellent score which led me to buying it on LP and eventually the FSM CD.
  5. To me, the main choral theme of Sunshine will always remain the most treasured moment of him, it is gorgeous and THE highlight of the album.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Very sad news ! :o(
    Another one of the great maestros gone ...
    But Maurice will live on forever through the music legacy he left us with ...
    RIP Mr. Maurice Jarre ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009
    I forgot A Passage To India! I listened to it only once on SST but I loved it! Will definitely get it ASAP.