• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009
    Zing.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a certain Spaniard's inevitable ever-changing opinions of this score. I might put them on on a plaque and get it framed for all to enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mikael, all we are saying is that we're neutral and we will definitely wait to hear before we judge, 'cause hype (generally speaking) has hurt my personal listening experiences many times 'till now in the past. You're article is fine and surely very interesting. Don't take it personal my friend smile beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Well, none of us know what it will sound like in the end - so what one can do is to ask the ones who has heard it. Now, of course, Mike Knobloch at Fox is somewhat biased, but at least what he says in the article is giving us a little more information about the score and what to expect.

mc
  1. Thanks Mikael, I really enjoyed the article and cant wait to hear the finished score come December!
  2. Good article, Mikael. Thanks for the link. The size of the orchestra - is that pretty standard, or is this a much larger orchestra than we normal get for a film score. It sounded big, but I don't know how that compares to other scores. I'll be interested to hear this Na'vi chanting. Sounds like Horner is trying to create an otherworldly sound for some of this score. I hope I like it. Looking forward to it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just to let you know your posts and links are very much appreciated Mikael, what D said earliar pretty much sums it up smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Ah, I didn't realise Mikael had written the article. Oops. shame
    I'm just always a bit wary of film crew who talk about how awesome something is going to be.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Well, I didn't have such a negative opinion on the article, but I did feel it was kind of useless to an extent, as scanning threw it -- I didn't see anything I didn't already know personally.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    Well, I didn't have such a negative opinion on the article, but I did feel it was kind of useless to an extent, as scanning threw it -- I didn't see anything I didn't already know personally.

Yeah, right. You know everything. LOL. rolleyes

Anyway, I can understand what you guys are talking about - it is true that there is only one source in this article and he is a music exec at Fox. You are intelligent enough to take his verdict on the score with a grain of salt. Actually: so do I!

From my point of view though: so far there has been basically no info available whatsoever, except for a few vague blog posts, on the score. No one except said music execs at Fox are allowed to talk about the score - I've been in touch with several of James' team members to get more info, but they've all signed the non-disclosures. So until we are able to hear the bloody thing ourselves, this is better than nothing, right?

Cheers,

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Depends if you think something is better than nothing. I prefer not to hear any hype about a score like this, I'm far happier just to wait and see what it's like when it's released rather than getting my hopes and expectations raised in any way.

The fact that it's a new Horner score for a Cameron film is hype enough for me, let alone the fact that he's been working on it for a year. No articles for me thanks!
  5. I've just read the article, and I'm not going to lower / raise my expectations about the score because of it. But this sentence is definitely great news for any Horner-fan:

"Horner is doing a brilliant job of creating music that transports us to another world, but supports the film using the traditional orchestral conventions to make a sound that’s hugely cinematic."

Exaggerated or not, I presume Avatar will be something very special indeed. The fact Horner didn't write anything else than for Avatar the past year is reason enough for me to be just a little excited. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    I've just read the article, and I'm not going to lower / raise my expectations about the score because of it.

If I read an article like this, I can't choose not to lower or raise my expectations, it just happens. That's why I stay clear of any kind of hype.

The fact that it's being talked about as possibly the "score of the year" will inevitably raise hopes regardless of whether you want it to or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    At least now it's certain that the score will be getting a CD release (which is not guaranteed these days!). Horner's certainly been working on this thing for a long, I mean LONG time and I'm eager to hear what he delivers here!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I saw the trailer for Avatar in 3D last night, and it does look very impressive. Not sure about the whole ferngully in space aspect to it, but at least it looks impressive.
  6. justin boggan wrote
    Well, I didn't have such a negative opinion on the article, but I did feel it was kind of useless to an extent, as scanning threw it -- I didn't see anything I didn't already know personally.

Symphonette #2

Next please?!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    justin boggan wrote

Symphonette #2

Next please?!

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2009
    moviescore wrote
    so until we are able to hear the bloody thing ourselves, this is better than nothing, right?
    mc

Yes Mikael, it definitely is. The information in your article quiets my fears that James Horner has forgotten how and/or chosen not to write the kind of big, epic music he did in the 80s and 90s. So thank you, muchly beer
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2009
    Hmm...

http://intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php … p;start=75

rumors have it, that there might be even more unrealised material from James Horner coming from Intrada... any further informations on that?
    Well, I would complain, if this would be the case... wink
    Btw, FilmScoreMonthly: "Where is Star Trek 3 remastered?" wink
  7. I have the confirmation that it's gonna be a Horner release. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009
    Uh oh, credit cards at the ready...
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009 edited
    Antineutrino wrote
    I have the confirmation that it's gonna be a Horner release. punk

Oh damn... money spending again... *g*
    Count me inn!!!

When is it going to be announced?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You don't even KNOW what this thing will be about yet. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah we do. Star Trek III.

(Anyway, it's James Horner. I'm all but certainly going to buy it. Same with you and Desplat scores.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm hoping for a Balto expanded release, though I doubt if this is it.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Steven wrote

(Anyway, it's James Horner. I'm all but certainly going to buy it. Same with you and Desplat scores.)

Yeah, that's my point too. It's from Horner, so I'm going to buy it... I need to buy it. This is most likely a bit crazy, but it's just the way it is for me... shame
    Anyway, rumors have it, that it will most likely be "I love her to death" or "House of Cards" (maybe even "Jade", but I certenly hope not! wink ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

That's not true. There are a couple of modern Desplat scores and more from his older repertoire than i don't like at all. I don't have a blind-buy composer anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BasilB wrote
    Steven wrote

Yeah, that's my point too. It's from Horner, so I'm going to buy it... I need to buy it. This is most likely a bit crazy, but it's just the way it is for me... shame

The whole crazy part of it, the "need" part even without knowing what it'll be, just because it's by Horner, is what i am trying to understand. smile
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

That's not true. There are a couple of modern Desplat scores and more from his older repertoire than i don't like at all. I don't have a blind-buy composer anymore.

I can understand why Horner would be a blind buy though. At least with him, you know you're almost certain to get something that you've really liked of his work in the past. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Michael has a point. If I like the ahem 'clips' then I will buy it. If I don't like the 'clips', I won't. I'm not really going to blind-buy this one, D. I can't afford to blind-buy anything at the moment.
  9. I think Uncommon Valor
    which is a pretty good score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh