• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anyone interesting is a 3CD FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION PROMO of AVATAR!

DISC 1 - 21 Tracks - Running Time: 54 mins
    DISC 2 - 21 Tracks - Running Time: 63 mins
    DISC 3 - 9 Tracks - Running Time: 30 mins

-Erik-

Do you think that's legit? I can't imagine something that long being of much interest to the casual awards-season voters it would presumably be aimed at.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010
    FYC promos don't have to be complete do they? Surely it's just a nice "gift" to them anyway as it should be judged in the film not out of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote
    FYC promos don't have to be complete do they? Surely it's just a nice "gift" to them anyway as it should be judged in the film not out of it.

A few years ago I thought the Oscars banned this anyway (for that precise reason).

I'd have thought that if you wanted to impress people who are not necessarily big film score fans with your music for a film, the best idea would be to produce a Thor-friendly 30-minute selection of highlights, not send out something that's 2.5 hours long and will therefore never be listened to.

Having said that, Avatar is the only score written in the 2000s so far that I could face listening to 2.5 hours of, so I wouldn't mind this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote

A few years ago I thought the Oscars banned this anyway (for that precise reason).

Aaaaah... but this ISN'T an "Academy Promo." It's a "For Your Consideration promo" that can be given out to all sort of organizations, print, radio, etc. and according to Dan Goldwasser this is a legit promo.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. PawelStroinski wrote

Malick is a very specific director, having a very general education. He has his demands, which are pretty much anty-Hollywood in his approach (and Horner screams Hollywood from LA to Poland, sorry). Hiring Horner in the first place is a mistake (and rumors said that Horner and Zimmer exchanged directors - Da Vinci Code for New World). The question at hand is whether a composer can think out of (his?) the box or not. Horner can't really and it doesn't mean that it's the director's fault in this case. Malick wants additional meanings to the music, that's why he may replace Horner with Mozart and Wagner or Morricone with Saint-Saens. From 4 movies he's made, The Thin Red Line's score was the only one to be left relatively intact in the movie and the replacement was minimal (Faure's Requiem, Ives' An Unanswered Question).

These are the facts.

There are really only three films - shortly to be four - that have been fully scored in the traditional sense by composers. Zimmer turned out well, although there's a degree of temp track adoption which probably played a part in that admittedly; Horner turned out not so well, and his inability to understand the dramatic implications of the temp track played a part in that. We'll see how Desplat goes.

Badlands never had a score, or a composer. The lack of a success of a composer who never existed in working with Malick is a a bit spurious.

I don't count Morricone's as a butchered score, because the European tradition Morricone is from works in such a different mindset. They provide a suite of music to be used by the filmmaker, sometimes adapting it very closely to the picture, but the sense of a cue being 'used' or 'not used' for a scene is quite different, since it was never really spotted to picture in the first place. A cue might serve a dramatic idea from the film, and scenes were edited around that piece. This is the same way Malick worked with Morricone, and the way he has worked with Zimmer / Horner / Desplat. (It was the main reason for Horner's frustration, since he could not write to picture, which is the cornerstone of his technique.) But most of the score, as released, is in the movie. Some cues appear more than once. As Zimmer also experienced, music from other sources is there. Morricone even, like Zimmer (or whoever was working on the film at MV at the time), interpolated Saint-Saens very clearly in his 'Harvest' theme.

I'm sorry, but I find your case for the superiority of Zimmer as Malickian collaborator not exactly ridicule-proof.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2010
    They're sure doing a lot to promote the score among Oscar voters... here's another promo which is single-disc but has a different tracklisting than the official OST. Wonder if it'll actually payoff in the final result (though I'd put my money on Up winning).
  2. Michael, I never mentioned Badlands.

When it comes to Morricone, yeah, possibly it's the European school and Days of Heaven still is something I gotta see as a movie and I was honestly repeating some opinion. I never said the score was butchered, too, I just said that it might have been used *instead*.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Anyone interesting is a 3CD FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION PROMO of AVATAR!

DISC 1 - 21 Tracks - Running Time: 54 mins
    DISC 2 - 21 Tracks - Running Time: 63 mins
    DISC 3 - 9 Tracks - Running Time: 30 mins

-Erik-

Well, I'm sure there's a couple of tracks I wouldn't mind having wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. 415 $ at the time of writing ! YOWZA !!!! shocked shocked shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010 edited
    I wonder if most of those guys bidding on it are inheritors of some royal treasury, Malaysian crime lords or smugglers, to have that much money to spend on a music album. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2010
    justin boggan wrote
    No thanks -- with a trading list over 300+ titles, I already got plenty of CRAP.

We know, we've all seen your posts in the Now Playing thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    I wonder if most of those guys bidding on it are inheritors of some royal treasury, Malaysian crime lords or smugglers, to have that much money to spend on a music album. dizzy

Or worse, fanboys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    biggrin
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    415 $ at the time of writing ! YOWZA !!!! shocked shocked shocked

there are stupid people out there, within a couple months (perhaps even weeks), this will be all over the internet
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Steven wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    No thanks -- with a trading list over 300+ titles, I already got plenty of CRAP.

We know, we've all seen your posts in the Now Playing thread.

Well, of course -- that's what I get when I play garbage like "Enemy At the Gates" and "Krull". You were perfectly justified in noting that.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

there are stupid people out there, within a couple months (perhaps even weeks), this will be all over the internet

Of course, but at least one guy will claim he has an original copy, which makes him a true fanboy / geek / nutcase, whatever ...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    DreamTheater wrote

Of course, but at least one guy will claim he has an original copy, which makes him a true fanboy / geek / nutcase, whatever ...

One of us then ?! biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010
    At least it isn't as bad as paying over 1 million $ for a Superman comic, which happened recently.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010
    Panthera wrote
    At least it isn't as bad as paying over 1 million $ for a Superman comic, which happened recently.

Followed by the first Batman.

I said elsewhere that if I had them I would sell them but I would be generous and throw in free P&P.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Timmer wrote
    Panthera wrote

Followed by the first Batman.

I said elsewhere that if I had them I would sell them but I would be generous and throw in free P&P.

Hell no, if they can pay that much for something then P&P is peanuts. rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote

Well, auction will be over in about 2 hours and the price of the 3-disc-set has already reached 1'525 Dollars... that's really creazy! ;-)
    Go for the 2'000 mark! ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Whoever had bid that much needs help. Or is far too rich. Either way I hope it gets leaked on the internet.
  9. Well, it's occured to me before, and I was reminded of it when someone brought up similar thoughts at the FSM messege board, we're assuming it's a collector who won that. Maybe it's the studio bidding on it to make sure it doesn't leak out.

In my view, simply forcing the auction to end by complaining to eBay, would still leave the item in the possession of the seller, and cause undue trouble to someone who actually hasn't committed a crime yet. Selling a promotional CD that isn't authorized for sale, is supposed to be a crime, but if it's still selling, it isn't sold, and there's no illegal profit yet.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    For a fan it is a lot of money. If it is the studio, this price is nothing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    So, it finally sold for $3060. I think the studio thing is correct because if it's indeed a fan who won it, he's both insanely wealthy and retarded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    So, it finally sold for $3060. I think the studio thing is correct because if it's indeed a fan who won it, he's both insanely wealthy and retarded.

I think this was an inside job. There was some fishy bidding at the last minute that bumped it up to the outrageous number that it ended at. I don't think any money will be changing hands.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeah, it certainly looks like that.

...and it's just been leaked on the Internet, if you know where to look.
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven is going to have puppies and kittens when he hears "Quaritch Down" and "Fight To The Death."

-Erik-
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I think this was an inside job. There was some fishy bidding at the last minute that bumped it up to the outrageous number that it ended at. I don't think any money will be changing hands.

-Erik-

Could be Ron Burbella striking again. He has automatic bidding software that often gives him the object at some outrageous price. I remember he paid $500 for the BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN promo.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2010 edited
    Listening to the promo... I'm not even sure now if it's an actual promo because quite some tracks seem to suffer from the Lion King bootleg syndrome - mono sound. Probably recording sessions material disguised as a promo? Anyway, from the first 2 discs only two tracks of unreleased material interested me - "Thanator Chase Pt. 1" and "Becoming One Of The People..." with the solo voice replaced by flute. "Into The Na'vi World" also seems to be different from the clip which is on the OST website. Going to listen to disc 3 in a bit.