• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I think I can safely say I enjoy Star III even more than II...

I still for the life of me can't even begin to fathom why people do, but I am looking forward to this release.

And I can't, for the life of me, fathom why you don't.

I know you're looking forward to this release but is it that it's not 'in your face' as much an action score as 'Khan'?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BasilB wrote
    keky wrote
    Does "But no pressed CD in the USA" mean that there will be a pressed CD in Europe? Has that happened before?

Maybe... didn't something similar happen with "Incredible Hulk"?

It has, but I can't remember the titles! A few of those Amazon CDRs were released as physical CDs by Silva Screen in the UK. (The Informant may have been one, come to think of it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I think I can safely say I enjoy Star III even more than II...

I still for the life of me can't even begin to fathom why people do, but I am looking forward to this release.

And I can't, for the life of me, fathom why you don't.

I know you're looking forward to this release but is it that it's not 'in your face' as much an action score as 'Khan'?

Khan is so much more exciting with a better ending - a proper Bang! to finish the score on. Spock has that excellent 'Stealing The Enteprise' cue and a few other pieces, but I honestly can't hear anything that tops 'Battle in the Matura Nebula'..... or 'Kirk’s Explosive Reply'.... or 'Genesis Countdown'.... or 'Surprise Attack'... or 'Amazing Grace'... or 'The Genesis Cave'. dizzy dizzy dizzy (And I've seen the film a fair few times, so I'm familiar with the score as heard in the film as well as the album.)

I still love it, but it's no Wrath of Khan.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, no argument from me, all of those tracks are utterly fantastic, I would just add that, personally what sways 'Spock' for me is those gorgeous mystical cues 'Katra Ritual', 'returning To Vulcan', hell, the whole damn thing plus finally having one of the most poignant cues Horner has written with 'A Fighting Chance To Live'.

I can't wait cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Indeed, Star Trek III is not a pure testosterone-filled action score like II. It has much more depth in the dramatic cues as well, the themes like the one heard so gloriously in the opening track are what I love most about III. That theme alone with the magic Horner touch puts me into film score heaven, no doubt about it. The 2nd Horner Trek has the balls as well as the heart. To me it sounds like a more developed, more all-round score than II was. The underscore for the destruct sequence and when Genesis falls apart are among my favourite music by James.

But I can't for the life of me think what that source cue is doing on the complete album. slant

May be one of those few occasions where I just skip a track, even if I'm totally against doing that. smile But I'll have to listen to it at least once to know what it's about.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Indeed, Star Trek III is not a pure testosterone-filled action score like II.

Exactly. sad

No seriously, I love both. I can't wait for this CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think Star Trek II is one of the absolute all time greats, would be in my top ten without question. III is very fine too and I am delighted with this new release but it doesn't come close to its predecessor in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    BasilB wrote
    keky wrote
    Does "But no pressed CD in the USA" mean that there will be a pressed CD in Europe? Has that happened before?

Maybe... didn't something similar happen with "Incredible Hulk"?

No. The Incredible Hulk, like many others of those CD-R's, was unreleased in Europe. However, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and, I believe, the recent Cracks did get a Europe physical release yet only a download release in America.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010
    Southall wrote
    I think Star Trek II is one of the absolute all time greats, would be in my top ten without question. III is very fine too and I am delighted with this new release but it doesn't come close to its predecessor in my opinion.

^ A wise and humble man hath spoken. Take heed of His word.
  2. Southall wrote

Indeed. It is the equilivant to fans rating the "Jaws 2" score higher than the first.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That I can at least understand, though I still prefer the first Jaws score myself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote

Indeed. It is the equilivant to fans rating the "Jaws 2" score higher than the first.

Which I do, but only as a listening preference.

I also prefer ST III as a listening preference, but only just.
  3. yeah

just is still a bit more. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I completely agree with my right honourable friends in preferring Search For Spock. smile

I think it may have a lot to do which Trek you saw first though? I saw Wrath Of Khan a LOT later than Search For Spock...and heard the soundtrack even later. I remember being shocked and disappointed because its score was so much like Search For Spock's... biggrin

Stealing The Enterprise is unbeatable though. Absolutely un-fucking-beatable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote

It's my all-time favourite and most-listened to action cue by the man. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote

I once said that James Horner single-handedly made slow moving spaceships leaving a space dock one of the most exciting and thrilling sequences in the entire Star Trek saga.

I just finished watch this sequence again and the hair stood up on my arms, goosebumps appeared and tears rolled down my face. Holy shit... THIS is the type of film music I miss! Like Martijn said... "ABSOLUTELY UN-FUCKING-BEATABLE!!!"

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Absolutely! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I completely agree with my right honourable friends in preferring Search For Spock. smile

I think it may have a lot to do which Trek you saw first though? I saw Wrath Of Khan a LOT later than Search For Spock...and heard the soundtrack even later. I remember being shocked and disappointed because its score was so much like Search For Spock's... biggrin

Absolutely!

Oh, and I saw all the Trek films in order. wink

In fact, Hornor's Wrath of Khan was the very first Horner score I ever bought, I remember picking it up for cheap and yet it had only just been released.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

I once said that James Horner single-handedly made slow moving spaceships leaving a space dock one of the most exciting and thrilling sequences in the entire Star Trek saga.

I just finished watch this sequence again and the hair stood up on my arms, goosebumps appeared and tears rolled down my face. Holy shit... THIS is the type of film music I miss! Like Martijn said... "ABSOLUTELY UN-FUCKING-BEATABLE!!!"

-Erik-

This post man... goosebumps appeared in an instant. The way you said it, you nailed it. punk

Thank you. When I get home I'll be watching that sequence too on DVD. REALLY FRIGGING LOUD !!!! But right now I wish I owned the blu-ray. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010
    Unsurprisingly, I am more than content with my existing Arista album of STIII and won't be getting this new one, but I just wanted to say how great it was to see them include the original LP presentation as well. One of those rare instances that pleases both camps (even though you have to pay a steep price for it!).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Arista? Did I miss a release? dizzy
  6. GNP Crescendo I guess biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    GNP Crescendo I guess biggrin

Sorry. GNP. Me an business-related issues....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Unsurprisingly, I am more than content with my existing Arista album of STIII and won't be getting this new one, but I just wanted to say how great it was to see them include the original LP presentation as well. One of those rare instances that pleases both camps (even though you have to pay a steep price for it!).

sleep sleep sleep

It'll have better sound and some great cues missing from the GNP album. But you know, whatever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

sleep sleep sleep

It'll have better sound and some great cues missing from the GNP album. But you know, whatever.

Yeah, the "better sound" thing would potentially be a seller if we had been talking about a scratchy, 60-year-old score. But I think the sound is fine on the old album, a pristine (digital?) recording from the early 80's. Not worth double-dipping for, in any case. On the other hand, it's excellent news for the people who never bought the old release. They get EVERYTHING - better sound, liner notes, artwork. AND they get both the wonderful LP program and the extra film program if they so desire.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I always thought the sound on the old GNP recording was kind of muffled. So I'm very happy to see the remastered release. Honestly I don't have this very often at all, but it's one of those very few recordings that simply never really sat well with me.
    So yeah. I'm buying. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Personally, I thought the GNP Trek II and III sounded ok, but much preferred the sound of III. Then when the new Khan arrived, I was instantly wowed by the improved quality. It was like hearing a totally different score. I wonder if it the new release for Spock will do the same, quality wise?

Anyway I'm more than happy, I wanted both for many years, another wish that has been fulfilled. beer

Now someone needs to release In Country, Uncommon Valor, and god forbid, Willow complete.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A complete WILLOW would be fantastic.
  8. Yeah wouldn't it? So much brilliant stuff not on the album. It makes me want to watch the film once again, just to hear all of it.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010
    James Horner's score for "Karate Kid" got released on iTunes!

Listening right now...