• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. THEY'RE COMING TO GET YOU!

20 clips. In chronological order. From classic films and scenes of paranoia.
    1 point for composer, 1 for the title of the score.

www.maintitles.net/music/gts/michael/ParanoiaGame.zip

You will feel the terror of a life lived in fear.

CLUES ARE YOUR FRIENDS:

1. A film and score easily overlooked not because of its quality, but because of the towering work from composer and director that surrounds it. Described by one critic at the truest film approximation of the world of Kafka, which is interesting, since it isn't based on a Kafka novel.

2. The great paranoia film. So good it had to appear twice in this list. The score is not nearly so loved as the film, as this clip will probably tell you why.

3. Chilling chamber score from the name composer most associated with great paranoia films.

4. A very eclectic score, this one. Bits of everything - baroque classics, avante-garde, jingles like this, even some tribal drums from memory.

5. The most cited score in the 'Guess the Score' game makes yet another appearance. From the other composer most associated with great paranoia films.

6. Great scene. 'She went up on the roof!' The last of the major paranoia films of the 70s, and probably the least serious of the pack. Hell of a finale scene with some incredible airplane stunts though.

7. ... Here at the tail-end of the paranoia films came one last hammering for the institutions, this time passing stern judgement on the abuse of power on the one major branch of US government left out in the previous films.

8. Thor would probably agree that this is one of the great films. Also a very annoying case of dialogue getting in the way of a good score album. Not very typical of the composer, but this director tended to get the good stuff out of him while he was alive.

9. The album consists of infernal drones and hellish sound design for most of its length, and then out of the chaos emerges this gorgeous theme. If you listen really carefully, you can hear a hint of the instrument that became so indelibly associated with this composer later work, though it is a bit buried in the mix. This director has - enviably enough - worked with so many of the great composers you have to wonder if he makes new films just to tick another classic scorer off the list.

10. This composer's darkest work, without question, and certainly a film about a very paranoid individual. (In this case, a rather famous paranoid individual.)

11. This is why you shouldn't stick gum under the table at restaurants. Water gets everywhere.

12. This composer has worked with the director of the most successful remake of modern times, the director of the most-loved cult film of the late 90s, the director of the longest remake of modern times, and a prolific director with a Jeremy Irons connection. Here he works with one of them. Starring the star of clip 7.

13. As it turns out, there is also a connection to Jeremy Irons here too. This scene follows another one which makes an unfortunate visual joke involving a banana.

14. Sexual paranoia. People usually forget this film had a score. I think it was a very good one. (And a damn good film too. Not enough films are made about ------.)

15. However it was this film that was destined to be remembered that year, and not clip 14. This is another landmark score, one which draws on a number of modern concert works.

16. If I have to give a clue, this isn't as easy as I hoped.

17. Ah! Existential angst!

18. Directed by an Oscar winner. Starring a double Oscar winner. Scored by an Oscar winner. Co-starring another multiple Oscar winner.

19. This score won an award named after a character from Gosford Park.

20. A man who evidently doesn't like too many feathers in his pillows. An Oscar nominated score, by one of the most famous composer in this gam
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2008
    Excellent, gonna play asap! I really like how Michael drops the hints asap, along with the posting of the clips and not later on ! gives motives for people to play and me to get my (sure) win mouhahaha!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think I know some answers even though I haven't listened to the clips biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Oops. Hope I didn't go overboard on clues!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Oops. Hope I didn't go overboard on clues!

Not at all, tis merely that I have a superior god-like intelect cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hmm. A very difficult game - even with clues! I will need to do a lot of research on this one. I'm pretty sure I've never heard most of these!
  3. Not difficult for some!

Falkirkbairn - 32 points shocked shocked shocked

Perhaps I should have put some more difficult ones in!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2008
  4. Southall wrote
    shocked

That's what I thought as well.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. And it's what I'm thinking now!

Falkirkbairn - 36 points

Out of a possible 40!!! shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Not difficult for some!

Falkirkbairn - 32 points shocked shocked shocked

Perhaps I should have put some more difficult ones in!

Right, That's it! I'm not bothering slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'm almost too afraid to play, but I'll give it a try, now that my exams are finally over.

*bites fingernails*

Peter shocked
  6. This game was intended to inspire FEAR. cool
  7. Impossible game for me. I could name some composers, but there are only two tracks I could nail down.

And @Falkirkbairn: 36 ?!?!?

You really should get out more. beer
  8. franz_conrad wrote
    This game was intended to inspire FEAR. cool

It worked. biggrin
  9. Ralph Kruhm wrote

Yeah, stop watching conspiracy/paranoia films Alan! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Phew, I recognize one cue and composer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Yeah, stop watching conspiracy/paranoia films Alan! biggrin

Hehe! Well Alan, without having heard the clips, I'm not surprised this is exactly your cup of tea indeed! In fact if the topic title didn't have that smiley, I'd think you had posted this game yourself. Creepy and disturbing music...
    wink

Anyway, seeing your high score and knowing a little bit your taste of music, I think this game is not for me. I'm not sure I'll have time to play either, but we'll see!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I may just go to your home address, Alan. I know where you live.
    I might just break into your house.
    I may break into your computer and steal all your answers.

Maybe I'm in your backyard already.
    Right now.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    I may just go to your home address, Alan. I know where you live.
    I might just break into your house.
    I may break into your computer and steal all your answers.

Maybe I'm in your backyard already.
    Right now.

Just because it's your birthday doesn't excuse behaviour like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You break my heart, James.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LOL biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    God damn emos!

(Apologies if anyone here is an emo!)

(God damn emos!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    God damn emos!

(Apologies if anyone here is an emo!)

(God damn emos!)

I like emos, they cry when I talk to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I like emus too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Where's Rod Hull when you need him?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote

Rod Hull is only thinking about Rod Hull.

Who's Rod Hull?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    EMU!
    DUDE!
    ROD HULL!

Jeez.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Southall wrote

Rod Hull is only thinking about Rod Hull.

Who's Rod Hull?

Not heard from him in a long time, last I heard he was busy fixing his TV aerial.

sorry shame