• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008
    I saw the Forbidden Kingdom this weekend 4/18, and really enjoyed the score by David Buckley, who has worked closely with Harry Gregson-Williams. It's an energetic, bold score with lots of electric violins and Chinese instruments, including the erhu. For some reason, his music reminds me of a cross between Gregson-Williams (especially the beginning Narnia tracks) and Randy Edelman because of the very clear melodies and over the top style.

According to Tracksounds, there will be an iTunes release, but this score deserves a CD release because I think it could be a sleeper hit. I posted the links to the Tracksounds articles where you can hear some clips.

http://www.tracksounds.com/specialfeatu … _page1.htm
    http://tracksounds.blogspot.com/2008/04 … oming.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008
    Sounds interesting. Anyone else on this one?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008 edited
    Maybe I'm the only one who saw it in the theater! LOL. It was a silly, entertaining film that came across like a teenager's dream of being in a martial arts film. It had characters based on a mishmash of martial arts films, including Drunken Master, Monkey Goes West, Once Upon a Time in China, etc. I think the film is more fun if you recognize the film references and treat it like a parody of sorts. The music expressed that tongue-in-cheek humor too!
  1. is the kungfu any good? Or is it more like Chan's American movies? Silly and not incredibly challenging?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    is the kungfu any good? Or is it more like Chan's American movies? Silly and not incredibly challenging?

Agree! Any 'Fu' this side of Hong Kong is crap!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    is the kungfu any good? Or is it more like Chan's American movies? Silly and not incredibly challenging?

What about Christopher Lee's Fu Manchu? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008 edited
    Tommy_Boy wrote

I thought the kung fu was better than Jackie Chan's American films since he showed he still had the drunken moves. There was a long fight scene between Chan and Jet Li, the Silent Monk, in an abandoned temple which didn't wow me but clearly showcased their speed and skills - they also switched styles in the middle of the fight. They were mostly on the ground but spun and jumped up to the pillars using wires. I had a lot more fun watching hair used as a weapon by the white-haired villainess and Li's physical mannerisms as the Monkey King. Unfortunately, the opening fight between the Monkey King and the Jade Warlord baddie focused on their magical abilities, not so much hand-to-hand combat.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

What about Christopher Lee's Fu Manchu? wink

Camp wink

But fun! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008 edited
    zirael wrote
    I saw the Forbidden Kingdom this weekend 4/18, and really enjoyed the score by David Buckley, who has worked closely with Harry Gregson-Williams. It's an energetic, bold score with lots of electric violins and Chinese instruments, including the erhu. For some reason, his music reminds me of a cross between Gregson-Williams (especially the beginning Narnia tracks) and Randy Edelman because of the very clear melodies and over the top style.

I just watched the movie and I agree. Very good and varied music, bold, melodic and a great performance by the Northwest Sinfonia and some of the usual Gregson-Williams collaborators like Hugh Marsh, Nick Glennie-Smith or Richard Harvey. Oh, and as Zimmer did in Pirates 3, Buckely pays an homage to Morricone in one of the themes (the Witch Theme).

zirael wrote
    It was a silly, entertaining film that came across like a teenager's dream of being in a martial arts film. It had characters based on a mishmash of martial arts films, including Drunken Master, Monkey Goes West, Once Upon a Time in China, etc. I think the film is more fun if you recognize the film references and treat it like a parody of sorts

Agree again!

zirael wrote
    There was a long fight scene between Chan and Jet Li, the Silent Monk, in an abandoned temple which didn't wow me but clearly showcased their speed and skills

The highlight of the film IMO. We´ve seen it better in the "Once Upon a Time in China" saga, "Drunken Master" or many others, but that whole sequence is great.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2008
    I loved the music. Its one of my most looked forward to releases.
  3. is their word about a CD release of this one? Or Something on ITunes?
  4. Yeah, Buckley told us, the score will be released, 100% sure...

I don't know exactly when... Maybe with the DVD release ?
  5. From http://tracksounds.blogspot.com/

THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM SOUNDTRACK RELEASE

Composer David Buckley's top-notch score for THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM will be released very soon! The score will be released in two formats: a digital download and an Amazon.com exclusive CD release sometime in early July 2008.

Our review of the promo for THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM has been the most read soundtrack review at Tracksounds in the last month, so this news should make a lot of new fans happy.

The official track listing:

01 The Mountain of Fruit & Flowers 1:43
    02 The Peach Banquet 1:46
    03 Monkey Business 4:31
    04 China Begins 4:11
    05 Hops' Shop 3:07
    06 J&J Temple Fight 5:34
    07 The Legend of the Temple Staff 1:59
    08 Two Tigers - Two Masters 2:49
    09 Tea House Fight 5:07
    10 The Tyranny of War 5:23
    11 Don't Forget to Breathe 0:52
    12 Ni Chang & Her Cult Killers 4:35
    13 Drunken Master Wounded 3:40
    14 The Seeker of the Prophecy 5:05
    15 Let the Journey Begin 2:37
    16 Monkey King Released 2:27
    17 Battle of the Bride 3:01
    18 Her Destiny was Written 4:12
    19 As one tale ends... 2:46
    20 ... Another tale begins 1:35

Stay tuned for more details on purchasing options and exact release dates!

Amazon exclusive again!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    As long as it isn't iTunes exclusive, I have no problem! wink biggrin
  6. The Grey Pilgrim wrote

Amazon exclusive again!?

Ahhh ... I see. Another CD-R. wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    AH! I want that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    Forbidden Kingdom is up for preorder at Amazon!

It's too bad it's on CD-R because the quality of the music merits a regular CD release, but at least it'll be on disc instead of just iTunes.

http://www.amazon.com/Forbidden-Kingdom … amp;sr=1-1
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    zirael wrote

It's too bad it's on CD-R because the quality of the music merits a regular CD release, but at least it'll be on disc instead of just iTunes.

Great! I was expecting this one since I watched the movie.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  7. zirael wrote

why is stuff becoming released on CDR's, it's like a complete revearsal of the laws these labels are actually fighting confused
  8. "So yes it will be CDR (that's just the way it is - not my choice!) But it will be lossless, so that is good. No idea of price. Hope all will become clear next week."

What Buckley told us...
  9. Hey, I got a 79min CD of me farting.

Includes such tracks as:

"Quiet but Deadly"
    "She Did It"
    and the fan favorite, "Oh -- That Was a Wet One!"

With bonus tracks of alternate flatulant takes.

It's a Justin Boggan exclusive CD-R.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Official website of the composer: http://www.davidbuckleymusic.co.uk/

His current project is From Paris With Love.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    Heard a bit of the album last night and it sounded like a score Harry would have provided for the last Tony Scott movie, Pelham 123
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, that's a bit of a shame, really.
  11. indeed, I was hoping for something more fun, well, let's judge it once we hear it completely
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, that's a bit of a shame, really.

I was disappointed for sure. I was hoping for something else. Most likely, they asked Harry, but he was busy so he suggested David instead, since the result ended up so similar.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    His The Forbidden Kingdom score was one of the best of the year, so I still consider him very talented.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's very overrated, at least to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I preferred the score of The Forbidden Kingdom to that of Kung-Fu Panda from the same year. Both are children kung-fu themed movies but Buckley's is much more enjoyable for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    I preferred the score of The Forbidden Kingdom to that of Kung-Fu Panda from the same year. Both are children kung-fu themed movies but Buckley's is much more enjoyable for me.

Ah, if you look it this way ,i agree with you.