• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris, you fool. You forgot to consider the exponentially increasing Kilmister-Bach scale! That alone makes it go over 11 Nigel!
    The answer is obviously FALSE.

Not sure if you're serious now or not.

In any case, I go with FALSE.
    I don't think that something big always leads to lots of noise.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2008
    I am always completely serious. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2008
    the what?!?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I am always completely serious. angry

I still stick by my answer too!

False!

spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. It is False!!!

jet noise scales to the jet velocity to the eighth!! and diameter squared

Jet thrust scales with velocity squared and diameter squared

So if you double the thrust out, and double the diameter, then the velocity reduces by a half square rooted, so the noise reduces by a quarter (roughly).

This is a massive drop, and there are less engines!!, BUT the diameter would not be doubled (for numerous reasons), but more likely increased by a factor of 1.7 or so, and the actual improvement would correspondingly decrease. Never the less, less Bigger engines are better. However, engines can also only be so big, so there are limits. However this is why the new non extra large aircraft like the A350 and the boeing 787 only have 2 engines!! (sorry demetrius)
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DAMN!!!!! source?!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2008 edited
    ATTACK!

*looks for the hidden shelter of Demetris*

kill
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    <smug mode engaged>
    See? punk
    <disengage smu...oh never mind. Leave it running>
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    the what?!?

source?!

Oh, alright.
    Kilmister is the last name of Motörhead lead singer Lemmy
    Bach is the surname of ol' Johann Sebastian
    Nigel is the lead guitarist from Spinal Tap and his amp goes up to eleven (rather than just ten).
    See?
    It all makes perfect sense.

Erm. Now. What were we talking about again?
  2. If you are asking me for my source, its my lecture notes from last semester, which i can't really link to (they are all still printed)

sorry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This is too complicated mate; what i know is that there's a specific formula that we use to add Sound Intensity Levels as perceived by the human ear (in Decibels (dB)), you can't just add them as we say '2+2=4' for instance) and when (for instance) we add several SILs from (say) 8 or 10 or more EXTREMELY QUIET engines of 80 dB SIL each, then we get a much lower total SIL than adding the SILs from only 2 but very loud engines of 120 dB each.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    * btw the numbers above are on average and of course NOT when standing near the engine when on full throttle 'cause dB levels are horribly larger there and would instantly kill you (as well as other stuff such as extreme heat, air pressure and such) if you were to stand close to that when it produces the monster roar!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    <smug mode engaged>
    See? punk
    <disengage smu...oh never mind. Leave it running>

Let's have a smugathon!? cheesy

punk punk punk punk punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No more Aeroplane talk here, there's a thread for that.

Next question?

Or is it me again?
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    This is too complicated mate; what i know is that there's a specific formula that we use to add Sound Intensity Levels as perceived by the human ear (in Decibels (dB)), you can't just add them as we say '2+2=4' for instance) and when (for instance) we add several SILs from (say) 8 or 10 or more EXTREMELY QUIET engines of 80 dB SIL each, then we get a much lower total SIL than adding the SILs from only 2 but very loud engines of 120 dB each.

This is true, but only because decibels is a logarithmic scale!!

so two sound sources do add up, otherwise one person clapping is the same as lots of people clapping!!, but two things at 20 Db are not the same as one thing at 40 Db.

Either way the engine question answer is based on the fact that larger engines do not necessarily mean louder engines!

If youv'e got a question to go timmer, then go for it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The acclaimed and brilliant late actor Richard Burton star of such films as Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolfe, The Longest Day, Where Eagles Dare, The Wild Geese amongst many more was more than just a thespian actor. It's not very well known outside the UK that Burton was also a great explorer who charted many of the great lakes of Africa, he was also a brilliant linguist and translater who could speak over 20 different languages and dialects.

TRUE or FALSE ?

smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    False?
  4. obviously not that well knwon in the UK either.

False
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    obviously not that well knwon in the UK either.

False

Depends on how old you are?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    TFL

Is that a True or a False?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hey Alan wave

I hope you'll still play here?

...just no googling....please! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    but two things at 20 Db are not the same as one thing at 40 Db.

Either way the engine question answer is based on the fact that larger engines do not necessarily mean louder engines!

If youv'e got a question to go timmer, then go for it!

I know, we're saying the same thing basically wink two things at 20 dB are definitely not the same as one thing at 40dB; they're way quieter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    On the other question, i say FALSE.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2008
    You all sure?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sure, why not? If not, that would be a very farfetched story to come up with, Timmer. smile

So TRUE.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Mwahahahahaaaaa!
    biggrin biggrin biggrin

Excellent question, Tim.
    You won't mind if I abstain?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Mwahahahahaaaaa!
    biggrin biggrin biggrin

Excellent question, Tim.
    You won't mind if I abstain?

Not at all sir beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oops, I just realized that Timmer may be speaking of DIFFERENT Richard Burtons, a la the John Williams - guitarist/John Williams - film composer confusion. Oh well, too late. I already gave my answer above.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Oops, I just realized that Timmer may be speaking of DIFFERENT Richard Burtons, a la the John Williams - guitarist/John Williams - film composer confusion. Oh well, too late. I already gave my answer above.

?????????

biggrin

I'll put up the answer tomorrow afternoon so there's still time for anyone else to have a try.