• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. One of the things I love is how "Family Guy" parodies scores --- film or television, it doesn't matter. It does it so often that I have decided to make a thread about it and list what episode and which scores (and the composer's name) was parodied.

I will edit the list each time I see one.

So far:

SEASON 3
    "The Thin White Line"
    Parodied: "CHiPs" (various composers)

What so special about this? Both the composers on the show are proteges of Mike Post, who scored a few episodes in the first season of "CHiPs". Though Murphy uses the Parker theme, it's still too nice to pass up the coincidence of.

"Stuck Together, Torn Apart"
    Parodied: "Magnum, pi" (Mike Post & Pete Carpenter)
    "Idiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" (John Williams)

In the first one he parodies the theme, then in the second the map room scene.

SEASON 5
    "Airport '07"
    Parodied: "Top Gun" (Harold Faltermeyer)

SEASON 6
    "Stewie Kills Lois"
    Parodied: "Star Trek: The Next Generation"; episode: "The Best of Both Worlds -- Part 1" (Ron Jones)

You know you've done something very special and memorable in TV history when not only does the TV shows you are scoring parody it, but they have you parody the music -- which you composed for another TV series! I can only imagine the smile on Ron Jones' face when he saw the scenes and was told what they wanted to do.
    He parodied two themes: the Picard as "Locutus" theme, and the climatic ending of episode one, "TO BE CONTINUED..." ending piece.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008
    I like the "Twisted Abduction" parody using Goldsmith's Poltergeist score! Forget the name of the episode just now though. It was funny and geeky-cool at the same time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008 edited
    :nerd voice: Family Guy once did this episode which was a paraody of the original Star Wars and for the entire show they used John Williams original score. How nerdriffic!!! :nerd voice:

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    :nerd voice: Family Guy once did this episode which was a paraody of the original Star Wars and for the entire show they used John Williams original score. How nerdriffic!!! :nerd voice:

-Erik-

And even had Peter Griffin singing along.

Da Da Da DaDa DADadadadaa....great, don't get penisy kid!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And then they killed John Williams. THEY KILLED JOHN WILLIAMS! cry

( biggrin )
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    There's also an episode that Randy Newman is in. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    I like the "Twisted Abduction" parody using Goldsmith's Poltergeist score! Forget the name of the episode just now though. It was funny and geeky-cool at the same time!

I can't remember clearly but didn't they use Goldsmith's original score?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    And then they killed John Williams. THEY KILLED JOHN WILLIAMS! cry

And Danny Elfman wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    There's also an episode that Randy Newman is in. smile

"left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot"
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2009
    Did anyone else find 8.02 totally un-funny?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let me watch it but it's very hard to find FAMILY GUY unfunny, if you're me wink

Also, have you checked out the CLEVELAND SHOW?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    Did anyone else find 8.02 totally un-funny?

8.02???
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Season 8 episode 2, family guy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    hAHAH, are you kidding me? I just watched it, jew jokes crack me over tongue Plus Peter's stupidity wink
  2. I stopped watching hte show half-way during the O.J. Simpsons episode -- it's just NOT funny anymore. And the episodes leading up to that one, weren't too hot either. The show's really only consistantly funny era was during it's initial run before cancellation.

I was going to check out "The Cleveland Show" when I saw a video of Seth talking about of well it tested. I watched some promos and a few minute clip from it. Terribly unffunny.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    hAHAH, are you kidding me? I just watched it, jew jokes crack me over tongue Plus Peter's stupidity wink

I do not get the jew jokes at all..that episode was worse than I Dream Of Jesus last season.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I do not get the jew jokes at all..that episode was worse than I Dream Of Jesus last season.

I love them. All the money loving jokes are neat! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009
    As for family guy, it has surely matured and its humor is vastly more developed and witty than in the previous seasons, a bit more difficult to get at first maybe, esp. when compared to the direct gag-nature of the first season. But definitely funny, i can't accept that it's lost it in any case. It has grown up, the author and the shows too (American Dad, Family guy and from what it seems now, Cleveland Show) but they are as good as ever, imo.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009
    Something Something Something Darkside trailer

At last!!

Loving the injured AT-AT. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009
    hahaha looks brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Looks awesome. Of course, we should wait for those who will inevitably express their complete and utter indifference. That's how it works on MT. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    You stupid something something something nerfherder. *Punch* biggrin
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Looks great! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. About a month and a half ago, I did all the parts copying for the "Family Guy Variety Show" that went out on FOX two weeks or so ago. (Also attended the rehearsal and taping at CBS Ratford in Hollywood.) There were some great parodies that ended on the editing floor, due to a change in sponsorship (Microsoft went bye bye and Warner Bros (Sherlock Holmes) stepped in.)
    One of the best was a parody on "The Price Is Right" - done in this case for a full swinging orchestra and prefaced by a Beethoven lick from a Symphony to set it up.

A shame it bit the dust!

Gregg Nestor
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    Some of the clips that I think you're talking about, are available here:
    http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/11/2 … s-revealed
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  4. Actually not - the stuff I am talking about was not animated but had the stars sitting at a table and talking. The deleted scenes included:
    1. "Price IS Right" - parody - with full orchestra
    2. comparing Windows 7 to "Vampire Diaries" - or to "Vampire Diahrrea"(an actor dressed as a vampire sitting on a toilet)
    3. as easy as Batman actor Adam West trying cherry pie - or as difficult as Adam West trying crack cocaine

(truth be told, this segment slowed the whole show down and was pretty lame)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2009
    The new STAR WARS episode is out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2009
    Best moment in the whole episode:

"Fuck off."

Though I don't want to give too much away for those who want to watch it. wink