• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Why so serious.

Because, even though the bouncing smileys made me laugh out loud biggrin, I really don't find it funny at all. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008
    Such traditions are just funny. smile
    Kazoo
  1. You know the nubmer of times this year I have looked at the clock and seen 11:11? You'd think I'd have been guest on "Coast to Coast AM" for that alone.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008 edited
    I watched that video originally on CNN and nearly lost it when I saw the first image of the poor, innocent baby crying his eyes out SCARED TO FUCKING DEATH! All I could think of was what if that was Liam?

Holy Jesus H. Mother Fuck... what is wrong with those people?

It's a goddamn helpless, fragile, little baby. I mean, has any one heard of shaken baby syndrome? These poor babies brains are rattling around in their heads and the impact of the fall could literally KILL THEM! They have such weak neck muscles and large heads that one sudden, forceful shake could cause serious damage.

ASSHOLES!!!

Sorry... the father inside of me has spoken.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sure, but it was funny to see!
    Bouncing babies!

Seriously, that's funny.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008
    It.is.not
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008
    confused sad
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregt wrote

Bouncing babies!

Seriously, that's funny.

Nah, it's f***ed up! rolleyes slant

Have a cookie though. smile
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    I watched that video originally on CNN and nearly lost it when I saw the first image of the poor, innocent baby crying his eyes out SCARED TO FUCKING DEATH! All I could think of was what if that was Liam?

Holy Jesus H. Mother Fuck... what is wrong with those people?

It's a goddamn helpless, fragile, little baby. I mean, has any one heard of shaken baby syndrome? These poor babies brains are rattling around in their heads and the impact of the fall could literally KILL THEM! They have such weak neck muscles and large heads that one sudden, forceful shake could cause serious damage.

ASSHOLES!!!

Sorry... the father inside of me has spoken.

-Erik-

I felt the same way Erik when I first followed the link and saw what the first frame image was. I didn't watch the video.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    confused sad

I have to agree with everyone else Bregt, it's not really that funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    "... [they] also believe that the ritual is good for the health of the child."

WTF!

Christ.

slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's for real?

Totally insane!

Not good at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Sure, but it was funny to see!
    Bouncing babies!

Seriously, that's funny.

I can see where you are coming from and I don't think you should feel ashamed for your reaction. It is something that you don't see everyday and the thought of "bouncing babies" could be a humorous image if you imagine it yourself... I guess. I mean, wasn't that the name of an old video game. Anyway, once you see the video and understand the danger of what they are doing I think you might see why the majority of us are reacting negatively to it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    justin boggan wrote
    You know the nubmer of times this year I have looked at the clock and seen 11:11? You'd think I'd have been guest on "Coast to Coast AM" for that alone.

I often watch the clock at 23.23 h. And I'm not watching it all the time or something! Just once or twice each night, but very often at 23.23 h.
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    How do these things*) get started?

Hey, they all get Apgar 10 from me. wink
    The midwife does that too you know, but only 20 cm instead of 20 meters hehe. Oh, yeah, and she holds the baby.

I will not defend this ritual because it's irresponsible and not healthy of course, but there are more harmful things for the baby body, to name one: birth. Babies are more flexible than us, so they will less likely break a bone. What it does to the brains and the heart, I don't know. Needless to say, this is not recommended anyway!

And the only reason the baby is scared is because he's with that strange man, not knowing what is going on. They are not afraid to fall of course!! Has anyone noticed how careful they are catching the babies? Ever seen how a doctor pulls out a baby with Caesarean section? The only thing that worries me with this video is what they believe in.

OK, or that they drop the sheet or the baby breaks his neck anyway...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Far be it from me to argue with a mom, who certainly has a lot more hands-on experience than yours truly does, but I'm not sure that I'm in complete agreement with your points concerning a baby's strength and perception.

For one thing a baby's body is much more flexible, that's very true, but only for an hour or so after birth! After that they start to "dry up", and are -as far as I've been taught- a LOT more VULNERABLE than ordinary man (especially the skull which has alternating hard and soft pieces of bone, greatly increasing the risk of concussion or brain damage).

The second thing is that there have been extensive tests on baby's perceptions and instincts (all part of the ol' nature-nurture debate) and babies are INSTINCTIvELY aware of the danger of height: they've tested this by putting a large piece of glass over a height of three meters and testing baby's reactions when they were placed near or on it. The height was always avoided or stressful, indicating there is some mechanism inside that warns the baby of danger of height.

So I'm not very sure all of this is harmless in the long run, physically AND psychologically!

(I know you said you certainly didn't recommend the practice and realize its unhealthy aspects. I'm just trying to bring some reasoned arguments in. smile )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    For one thing a baby's body is much more flexible, that's very true, but only for an hour or so after birth! After that they start to "dry up", and are -as far as I've been taught- a LOT more VULNERABLE than ordinary man (especially the skull which has alternating hard and soft pieces of bone, greatly increasing the risk of concussion or brain damage).

I was talking about the bones only. They are much more flexible, I'm not sure up untill what age but I thought the first couple of years at least!

The second thing is that there have been extensive tests on baby's perceptions and instincts (all part of the ol' nature-nurture debate) and babies are INSTINCTIvELY aware of the danger of height: they've tested this by putting a large piece of glass over a height of three meters and testing baby's reactions when they were placed near or on it. The height was always avoided or stressful, indicating there is some mechanism inside that warns the baby of danger of height.

You mean Eleanor Gibson's test?
    Well, that was tested with babies from 6 months old who could crawl and actually look into the depth. They did also test with two months old babies and noticed difference in heart rate, but as far as I know there's no proof (yet) it has to do with the awareness of depth. Most important of all, these newborn babies in the video cannot even see the distance they are going to fall! There are not faced down, plus they can't see beyond 38 cm anyway.

So I'm not very sure all of this is harmless in the long run, physically AND psychologically!

Me neither. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I didn't know that about baby's bones. That's interesting!
    However, my concerns about the skull (fontenel!) still stand.

And yes, i was referencing the Gibson test smile, and you're prefectly right: that test (and comparable ones) were conducted on older babies. Your point about the limited sight of babies is also a good one. This might well negate the negative stress effects of fear of height...even though there are of course other physical clues that might inducre stress or pain (like the inner ear, or the tactile sense of wind from falling... but of course we don't know).

I'm perfectly happy to see that everybody involved is as careful as they can (it's not like they don't love their babies, obviously), but it's an unacceptable and -at the end of the day- indefensible ritual to me. There is NOTHING to be of any benefit other than the superstition that it "may be good luck" (contrary to actual birth being more dangerous: granted, but there is a natural necessity to it that simply cannot be avoided!).
    On that basis alone even the possibility of risk is unacceptable to me.
  3. Martijn wrote
    I didn't know that about baby's bones. That's interesting!
    However, my concerns about the skull (fontenel!) still stand.

No matter how much I may love my children there's was nothing more unnatural than seeing the fontenel pulsing away on the top of their heads!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008
    AH! Hold on! I'm starting to get this!
    And then you were overcome by a strange urge to throw these unnatural anomalies off a high precipice? Is that it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2009
    WTF!?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=721_1233043620
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    dizzy

All that and Enya too!!? spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, you know, I could have led a very fulfilling and satisfying life without having ever seen that.

Why did I need to click that?
    Why?
    slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    About a talk on cultural differences and all that....... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OK, let's agree then that other cultures are dangerously insane and superfluous and need as a matter of priority to be abolished with extreme prejudice, and move on with our lives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Krull yeah tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor

Looks like a regular "hidden camera" thing to me, albeit a weird one.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2009
    I'm glad I don't have any desire to look.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2009
    And only too happy to tell us about it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World- … 4945?f=rss

shocked