• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ENNIO MORRICONE's The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly no less.

Morricone says he wanted to differentiate the three characters with different timbres, the 'Good' being a silver flute, the 'Bad' being two male voices sung off-key and the 'Ugly' being the Ocarina.

I think the Ugly was two male voices sung off-key (the so-called 'Coyote Howl'), while Bad was the Ocarina (a bass flute sound).

dizzy

Hmmm? You could be right, is there a way of checking this out?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I know. I showed exactly this musical distinction in the classes I did last week. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    I know. I showed exactly this musical distinction in the classes I did last week. wink

Okay! smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008
    Well, the ocarinas I had ordered arrived last week. I cannot try yet, because it will be wrapped first and I have to wait hehe.
    tongue

Just wanted to say the ceramic one looks great. I thought it was just painted blue, but it's blue and greenish with a beautiful pattern on it. Great service too by the Liggins family so I can recommend ocarina workshop to everyone.

Just talking about the service now, I still don't know how it sounds!
    The book is nice too. The hand grip tablature is really easy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008
    Cool!

Remeber: we want MP3s!!! beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    So now I have an ocarina and I bought a tin whistle as well because it sounds very nice and for the children it's easier to practise the scales than on the ocarina because the finger grips are more complicated on the ocarina.

My musical theory knowledge is very poor so thankfully both flutes came with a manual. I can play some songs now but of course I'd like to play some film music tunes! Does anyone have some easy film music themes in musical notation?

That would be great. Saves some time if I don't have to figure it all out by hearing, which is almost impossible for me to do and I'm impatient. I was already glad I found some bagpipe sheet music back, because that's all in full notes and only one octave so I can easily play those. Especially since the tunes are just stuck in my memory for ever! That's a good thing about playing music at young age. You never lose those skills.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have quite a lot actually, though nothing very recent.
    Are you looking for something scpecific (I dont think I have any Zimmer... wink )?
    I could easily make some scans and make them available on a file-sharing site like megaupload or rapidshare for anyone interested.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    That would be nice!
    I'm not looking for anything specific, just film music! Which I thought was rather specific.
    But not a composers I have in mind, no. The important thing is it should be easy to play. Or should I say, easy to read from the musical notation.

I always think anything I can easily whistle can be easily played on an instrument as well but it may be more complicated...??
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote
    That would be nice!
    I'm not looking for anything specific, just film music! Which I thought was rather specific.

Yeah, but there's a huge difference in melodic and auditory ease between the James Bond theme and The Asteroid Field from The Empire Strikes Back! So what I meant was more something like if you are looking for more melodic tunes (which would include theme songs and the like) or really proper film music as well?

Anyway, I'll have a rumble through what I have and bung some titles in here. Then you can take your pick.

Mind though that most of the sheet music I have bought is for guitar and accompaniment, so most of it is at least 2-staff. But the melody should be very easy to construe! (I just ignore all the notes except the top ones when I play recorder wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    Bregje, have you seen this?
    http://composer.songbirdocarina.com/composer.asp
    shocked

Found it completely by accident while looking for the name of a video game music composer (of all things).
    There's a LOT of film music tunes on it as well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008 edited
    Hehe! cheesy
    That programme is fun, to compose the tunes.

But so far only the Hobbit theme sounds right when I play it, some of the rest is really bad!! Or I have the wrong type of ocarina?
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Maybe you're holding it upside down? spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Play the Zelda tune! Play the Zelda tune!! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    EX
    TER
    MI
    NATE
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I really need a soundclip of that first because I don't know the Zelda tune!
    This songbook only works if you actually know the tunes, because it only shows the oc-pics without time...
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregje wrote
    This one?

Indeed it is!

Mostly a childhood nostalgia for me, I loved playing Zelda as kid!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008
    I know you'll say i most probably don't have a soul but the whole ocarina thingy and that youtube video made me giggle; just a bit shame cheesy
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008
    Quite the contrary, I absolutely agree! It IS funny! That's the exact reason I love it! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008 edited
    Bregje, these are the scores I have available:

(1) A Time For Us (from Romeo and Juliet)
    (2) A View To A Kill
    (3) All Time High (theme from Octopussy)
    (4) Baby Elephant Walk (from Hatari)
    (5) Batman theme - Neil Hefti
    (6) Cantina Band (from Star Wars)
    (7) Dallas theme
    (8) Diamonds are forever
    (9) Ewok Celebration (from Return Of The Jedi)
    (10) Fame theme
    (11) Flipper theme
    (12) For Your Eyes Only
    (13) Force Theme (from Star Wars)
    (14) Goldfinger
    (15) Gonna Fly Now (theme from Rocky)
    (16) Green Leaves Of Summer (from The Alamo)
    (17) Happy Days
    (18) Hill Street Blues
    (19) If I Only Had A Brain (from The Wizard Of Oz)
    (20) It's The Hard-Knock Life (from Annie)
    (21) Live And Let Die
    (22) Love Story
    (23) Mission: Impossible
    (24) Moon River (from Breakfast At Tiffany's)
    (25) Moonraker
    (26) Never On Sunday
    (27) Nobody DOes It Better (from The Spy Who Loved Me)
    (28) On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    (29) Over The Rainbow (from The Wizard Of Oz)
    (30) Peter Gunn
    (31) Princess Leia's Theme (from Star Wars)
    (32) Singin' In The Rain
    (33) Somwhere, My Love (Lara's theme; from Doctor Zhivago)
    (34) Speak Softly Love (love theme from The Godfather)
    (35) Star Wars Theme
    (36) The Imperial March (from The Empire Strikes Back)
    (37) The James Bond Theme
    (38) The Pink Panther
    (39) The Shadow Of Your Smile (from The Sandpiper)
    (40) Theme from Cheers
    (41) Theme from Dynasty
    (42) Theme from Star Trek
    (43) Thunderball
    (44) We Have All The Time In The World (from On Her Majesty's Secret Service)
    (45) Yoda's Theme (from The Empire Strikes Back)
    (46) You Only Live Twice

Let me know if any of these are of interest to you.
    Again: most of these are piano/guitar transcriptions, so many are multi-staff or chord transcriptions.
    You should be quite easily able to isolate the melody though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008
    Many of these themes are also on the ocarina website! smile
    But I'd like to have some musical notation as well.

There are about five themes I'd like to try but maybe start with one, because it may be too difficult for me? And I know scanning takes a lot of time.

Let's do the Force Theme then!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Force Theme
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thanks! I will give it a try!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008 edited
    Awesome!! Play ocarina on the iPhone!! Maykel got the programme last night, it's a lot of fun!!

SMule: ocarina for iPhone (demo)

SMule: ocarina for iPhone (song)

Bregt, I expect a performance by you by the end of next week. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008
    Gawd!
    That's like the "everybody can play music" ad for the Wii... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    So?

You don't want everybody to play music?

Party pooper. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    crazy THAT'S NOT MUSIC!!!! crazy

Arrrrrrghhhhh

Though I fully agree with
    Bregje wrote
    ... poop... tongue

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    crazy THAT'S NOT MUSIC!!!! crazy

Seriously, why not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    For clarity's sake: I'm talking about the Wii thing, not the ocarina, which is a fun gadget.
    Obviously I prefer my instruments to be live, but anything that explores and expands creativity I'm all for.

That Wii game is horrid though, and the worst of both worlds: it stems creativity (you just choose a pre-programmed song, you cannot *create*) and adds nothing (you don't LEARN music or to play an instrument, you just wave an electronic stick around).
    That aside, it sounds absolutely horrible.
    crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree, Martijn. Although, saying that, Guitar Hero for PS3/Xbox360 is a lot of fun - especially when a little inebriated having just come back from the bar. dizzy