• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008
    Steven wrote
    I agree, Martijn. Although, saying that, Guitar Hero for PS3/Xbox360 is a lot of fun - especially when a little inebriated having just come back from the bar. dizzy

You're not wrong. biggrin
    I've become quite the wiz at Guns n' Roses' Sweet Child O' Mine (mainly because it's the only song in the set I actually know shame )
    :air guitar:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not so keen on the after effect of playing it for too long. Because you're looking at a scrolling screen, as soon as you take your eyes off and re-enter the real world, everything starts to move by its own accord. vomit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'm not so keen on the after effect of playing it for too long. Because you're looking at a scrolling screen, as soon as you take your eyes off and re-enter the real world, everything starts to move by its own accord. vomit

I wanna go!? slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...go where? confused
    The bathroom?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's like a midway point between playing air guitar and actual guitar! It's great. biggrin (Sometimes you get into it perhaps just a little too much. shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008 edited
    Ahhhh, you do the "blues shoulder tug", the "musical grimace" and the "rock god knee bend" too? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    ...go where? confused
    The bathroom?

That too. rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It's like a midway point between playing air guitar and actual guitar! It's great. biggrin (Sometimes you get into it perhaps just a little too much. shame )

I'm waiting for my mates 15 year old to get tired of it so I can have a go.......hell will freeze first methinks? slant wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I don't know the Wii music game. I agree the most fun is when you actually play the instrument yourself. Which is the case with the iPhone ocarina programme. I think it's awesome. You actually have to blow into the mic, you can play good or bad like on a real one and there are many keys to choose from too! I was truely amazed.

Of course it shouldn't replace real instruments but that's not my point. I'm just enthusiastic about the technical possibilities and that everyone with an iPhone can play some ocarina now!
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    You actually have to blow into the mic, you can play good or bad like on a real one and there are many keys to choose from too!

punk That is cool to the Kelvinth degree! punk

Damn.
    Just now you bought a real one. slant

I'm just wondering though: WHO thinks UP these things?
    "Hey, we have a phone. Let built an ocarina-emulation application for it!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I hope nobody here is seriously considering these gadgets are real music substitue.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    I hope nobody here is seriously considering these gadgets are real music substitue.

Yeah, we are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    All right. Go along, play your music. "vomit"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Out with the old, in the with the new I say. Who wants to play on real instruments anymore? This is the 21st century for goodness sake!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, yeah. Especially when coming from Wii and stuff. Professionals try to toss their thousands of dollars synth equipment and sound libraries for real instruments and musicans and we are going to replace ALL that by Wii and iPhone. WWWWWiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hark! An MV score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Christodoulides wrote

And I hope nobody here is seriously worried that these gadgets could be considered as real music substitutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Zing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008 edited
    I hope nobody is actually discussing seriously about these gadgets in musical terms, in a thread about the organ itself, in the "music making" forum, other than the fun aspect the gadgets' origins, i.e. being "toys". Oopps.......wait.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    <tumbleweed>

Mmm, clever.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    I hope nobody is actually discussing seriously about these gadgets in musical terms, in a thread about the organ itself, in the "music making" forum, other than the fun aspect the gadgets' origins, i.e. being "toys". Oopps.......wait.

I'm really interested to know what worries you or annoys you about this D! smile

We could have a discussion about what music is and what a musical instrument is. I think it's not that easy to define. You probably know a lot about it. But I really think this is music, played on a gadget or toy used as a musical instrument. You wouldn't call this music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't like the sound...but that's neither here nor there: it IS music and it IS creation (and it's one of the most incredibly bizarre an funny gadgets I've seen, which is an added bonus).

*I* simply worry about shaking a controller in time with a pre-programmed beat to produce a (pre-programmed) melody and calling that music. That's disturbing to me.
    This isn't.
    It's slightly surreal, certainly, but not disturbing. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote
    But I really think this is music

OMG! Awesome. biggrin punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If my 8 year old cousin's 20 dollar casio keyboard from the local shop is proper music, then this is music too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    And what about a 5 dollar broom? Musical instrument or not? Music or not?
    spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nothing to do with the iPhone ocarina, the point is not the financial value here but the CASIO keyboard. Why not learn the actual friggin instrument itself which is VERY EASY and SO DAMN CHEAPER than the iPhone? This annoys me as much as my little brother and his friends who instead of going out and playing actual football, they sit all day long at their couches eating crap and log online to play friggin FIFA STREET or whatever that crap is called and instead of actually running around in the parks, they also sit their asses on the couches, eat crap and log online to kill each other in the MEDAL OF HONOR trend on the PS3. If anyone can convince me how the iPhone ocarina crap is any different than this, they you've won.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    shocked

D has issues. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The difference between the two, D., is that FIFA is a virtual sport: you're not actually doing anything that makes football football. Rather you control virtual actions (like running) by completely different actions (like pushing a button really fast or hard).

Now a Casio, or the iPhone ocarina creates a virtual sound, but does not create virtual music and is not a virtual instrument: in contrast to any sports game, you still need to put your fingers at the right place, use the proper breathing techniques and read (or understand) music. The only virtual thing about it is the tone, not the action.

Now whether you care or not for the sound is another matter, but the iPhone ocarina to my mind is no less an instrument than a Casio, a synthesizer (the very word already indicates virtualization!) or, for that matter, a saxophone (which was invented primarily to emulate a human voice!).
  1. I think the subject matter changed. How would you call the topic now? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The saxophone argument is completely invalid. It's a real instrument and what the maker had in mind when working on it has nothing to do with its usage, the way it produces the sound, the way it is played and its musical value.

Still no answer why not learn to play the actual instrument itself.