• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    So, if a composer just concentrates on his work and talks about that alone instead of bad-mouthing his colleagues, then it's a dull interview? I can see your point but i am just trying to understand it in full.

Surely you must understand that he isn't just phoning up a journalist and saying he doesn't like Poledouris's score for Robocop, he's actually responding to a question he was asked. 99% of the stuff in that five-part (or whatever) series was about his own music, its creation, his thoughts on the process of film scoring, filmmaking in general, and there is that one comment about Robocop which of course was in reponse to a specific question about Robocop.

Anyway, as usual I'm fighting a losing battle. You continue to be free to believe that everyone loves everything and if they don't then they certainly shouldn't say anything about it, and I'm sure I won't read anything from anyone on this forum which has ever criticised any piece of film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008 edited
    I don't mind it when composers criticize other composers' works, but a little more tact wouldn't have gone a miss in Rosenman's case. I absolutely loathe a lack of self-modesty in people, and he might as well have said "I'm a better composer than Poledouris", which regardless of how many composers might think that in regards to other composers, is not something that should ever be expressed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Anyway, as usual I'm fighting a losing battle. You continue to be free to believe that everyone loves everything and if they don't then they certainly shouldn't say anything about it, and I'm sure I won't read anything from anyone on this forum which has ever criticised any piece of film music.

I didn't get this...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008 edited
    I know not everyone likes everything and it's pretty normal and expected but i don't want to see professionals bitch-fighting like teenagers in school backyards, even if it's verbal in the formers' case and in-direct.

I know there's a lot of tension and it's a slaughter out there with the financial and creative pressures and tough competition with big projects (and huge money) going to the wrong persons many times (especially in Hollywood) and it's again pretty logical. Everyone can say whatever they want in their privacy and with co-workers, friends and family; if you're at their level though, self-called and self-titled superiority over other composers' works is always something that will do nothing more than lower one's status as a professional, imo.

And i don't think that everyone here likes everything or everyone else, i think it's been expressed frequently and in many occasions except if you mean something else that i still don't get.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I don't mind it when composers criticize other composers' works, but a little more tact wouldn't have gone a miss in Rosenman's case. I absolutely loathe a lack of self-modesty in people, and he might as well have said "I'm a better composer than Poledouris", which regardless of how many composers might think that in regards to other composers, is not something that should ever be expressed.

I agree with Steven here, I'm all for composers speaking his/her mind ( Benny Herrmann certainly did ) but there's no need for a veiled bitch about a fellow professional.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This was talked about 10 years ago.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/article … senman.asp

If I were editor of FSM I would have omitted that short paragraph, written by Hirsch. No point in it other than to stir the pot.

Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Martijn wrote
    That's bollocks, Michael, and I think you know it.

Actually, I think the analogy I draw to the way composers attack each other publicly in the modern classical scene is very much the point, I just don't think you know it. Rosenman is acting like he's in one world, and the standards of behaviour in that world are a lot less demanding than the world of film composing, where the composer better not have a high opinion of himself.

To quote myself:
    I think if you think of yourself as a classical composer who dabbles in film (and this is undoubtedly what Rosenman liked to think of himself as), then Poledouris's score probably isn't that impressive, and possibly compositionally anonymous. Rosenman's sharp words are well at home in the world of modern classical sniping, where Cage can call Braca a 'fascist' for using electric guitars, Boulez can vocally hiss-and-boo at a Stravinsky work for its neoclassical indulgences, Alex Ross can moon Horner's plagiarism from his column, and all-and-sundry can mock Shostakovich's symphonies till the cows come home.

I'm reminded also of Ingmar Bergman's interview where he spoke ill of the films of Orson Welles and Antonioni as intensely overrated films. Those two did things he couldn't have, and I esteem them as much as I esteem him, but he has a right to a detrimental opinion, and I don't judge him for it. And few people who like these filmmakers would hold Bergman to task to for saying that, because they know they've made similar comparisons between other individuals along the way, sometimes very obnoxiously.

But no, a film composer must be a mouse. Tread softly, offend noone. Don't even say what you really think when you think you could have done better and aren't exactly risking employment by doing so.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    Any discussion about this sort of thing must always include Jerry Goldsmith's simply extraordinary statement: "Bernard Herrmann was a terrible film composer."
  2. And from comments I've heard privately, Goldsmith was not the only that thought that.

Herrmann wasn't too optimistic about Goldsmith either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought Herrmann was quite complimentary about Goldsmith (though perhaps I'm confusing him with someone else).

I find it quite difficult to judge Herrmann. His Hitchcock scores do, I have to say, seem to border on the ludicrous, but I tend to put that down to so many of them having been ruined through their use in subsequent pastiches rather than them actually being bad scores; and I'm struggling to think of other Herrmann-scored films I've seen.
  3. James, don't do this... Bernard may have had a very heavy hand, but his music for Hitchcock films is by no means silly! shocked

The great Bernard Herrmann scores: (as film scores, not albums)
    Fahrenheit 451 (the heart of Truffaut's cold film)
    The Ghost and Mrs Muir (lifts it from awkward comedy into something with a bit of weight)
    Psycho (the state of nervous energy prior to Marion's slaying is very much coming from the music - Hitchcock's setups are intentionally prosaic up to the shower scene)
    Vertigo (Just don't go there!)
    Taxi Driver (such a strange, dark presence, this score has - it doesn't feel perfect, but it's not far)
    Citizen Kane (concentrate on the spare orchestrations, so unlike the era it was made in, and the clever use of leitmotifs to slowly bring Rosebud to light)
    North by Northwest (a fandango for a spy thriller? Genius!)
    The Magnificent Ambersons (the film is tarnished with the Roy Webb rescoring, but what remains is a perfect match)
    ... and while it's certainly not the musical highlight of the film, his score for the remake of the Man who knew too much fills the gaps around Benjamin's Storm Cloud Cantata beautifully.

Obsession is a bit silly though, I'd agree to that. I haven't seen enough of the others - On Dangerous Ground, The Wrong Man, The Egyptian, Mysterious Island, Sisters, The Bride wore Black - to judge them as scores.

He did make a begrudging remark about Goldsmith having some promise. Something about the context of the remark indicates he was talking through gritted teeth however.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Rosenman also suffered from dementia/alztheimer. I'm not sure when this was beginning to affect his judgment.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    And also 7th Voyage of Sinbad! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    James, don't do this... Bernard may have had a very heavy hand, but his music for Hitchcock films is by no means silly! shocked

Your examples are pretty compelling, I have to say. I've only seen half of them, but it's a nice reminder that he was actually rather good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Any discussion about this sort of thing must always include Jerry Goldsmith's simply extraordinary statement: "Bernard Herrmann was a terrible film composer."

Even the gods can be wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote
    That's bollocks, Michael, and I think you know it.

Actually, I think the analogy I draw to the way composers attack each other publicly in the modern classical scene is very much the point, I just don't think you know it. Rosenman is acting like he's in one world, and the standards of behaviour in that world are a lot less demanding than the world of film composing, where the composer better not have a high opinion of himself.

Maybe I misread, but are you suggesting there are two (or more) different worlds of professional behaviour? If so, I couldn't disagree more.

In any line of work, if you are happy to slag of your predecessor in completely unambiguous terms, you achieve two extremely dangerous things:
    1) you present yourself as a not very likeable or sociable colleague
    2) you create huge expectations concerning your own future achievements
    Neither is a position you would like to find yourself in as a professional, whether you're a musician, composer, project engineer, tailor, managing director, carpenter or walrus.

THIS is the crux: it's simply not professional.
    Ever.
    In whatever context or world.

The controversy is not whether or not Rosenman should or should not speak his mind.
    To me, the controversy is in the context and in the way Rosenman chose to speak his mind.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn, the history of 20th century composer dialogue is more catty than you realize. I'm not suggesting for a moment that it is appropriate behaviour, but there's a lot more of it in the world that Rosenman wanted to be a part of. Just read any chapter out of Alex Ross's The Rest is Noise other than the Benjamin Britten one and you'll find plenty of evidence for what I'm describing. Composers advancing their own work by denigrating others? Check. Making issues of technique personally vindictive? Check. Jealousy manifesting in public disdain? Check. Why do they get away with it? Because in that world, they are the centre of the universe. You refer to professionalism, but in that world, etiquette doesn't exclude publicly expressing your opinion of your peers in a judgemental fashion. Some, like John Adams or Philip Glass or Reich (always the minimalists!), are very gracious individuals given this tradition of public dispute. Some hold their tongue for years, letting it slip out bit by bit (Bartok in relation to Stravinsky, Carl Vine in relation to Philip Glass).

But others lambast pretty indiscriminately and, to be honest, the way Rosenman talks about Poledouris is pretty tame, particularly if you add in that traditional classical disdain for film music. (Corigliano and Andre Previn, both accomplished film composers, have spoken of many film composers in belittling turns, and Morricone is known to regard any film composer who doesn't orchestrate his own work as no composer. John Barry of late has been as harsh as possible, and he's certainly not a composer without limitations.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I understand your putting these things into perspective, Michael.
    Mine though is a more absolutist view (now there's a shocker wink ): if everyone is behaving like an asshole, it doesn't mean it's less assholish behaviour, n'importe how many Big Names see fit to indulge themselves.
    Hence my rant against it.
    I'll be damned if such boorish behaviour is condoned by the fact that these people consider themselves part of some clique where apparently this is acceptable behaviour.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Michael, a bit off-topic here (although when it comes to the subject you're discussing, i too (no surprise either) find my self on the side of Martijn) but could you please fill me in a bit with John Adams and Stephen Michael Reich plz? How is their music? SOmething that could interest another fellow Glass freak perhaps? wink Is this the John Adams you're talking about btw? http://www.earbox.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm on Martijn's side too. I'd follow that man in to battle... but I know he's not the military type, so I have little to worry about.
  5. Martijn wrote
    I understand your putting these things into perspective, Michael.
    Mine though is a more absolutist view (now there's a shocker wink ): if everyone is behaving like an asshole, it doesn't mean it's less assholish behaviour, n'importe how many Big Names see fit to indulge themselves.
    Hence my rant against it.
    I'll be damned if such boorish behaviour is condoned by the fact that these people consider themselves part of some clique where apparently this is acceptable behaviour.

Fair 'nuff. I am trying to explain, not trying to excuse.

(If I were trying to excuse, then I'd make the point that my remarks over in the James Horner thread would probably smear my career with a veneer of unprofessionalism if I were a composer. Yet I feel safe in making them public when there's nothing at stake for me.)
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Michael, a bit off-topic here (although when it comes to the subject you're discussing, i too (no surprise either) find my self on the side of Martijn) but could you please fill me in a bit with John Adams and Stephen Michael Reich plz? How is their music? SOmething that could interest another fellow Glass freak perhaps? wink Is this the John Adams you're talking about btw? http://www.earbox.com/

Demetris,

John Adams is the one that fused minimalism with old Mahlerian symphonic ideas in Harmonielehre. This work was later very influential on Don Davis's Matrix trilogy scores, and is for me one of the masterpieces of modern music. One feels the return of romanticism working against his minimalist approach throughout his work. Highlights of his career are the opera Nixon in China (with a foxtrot for Chairman Mao), the Emily Dickinson-inspired choral work Harmonium, the violin concerto, and his early influential minimalist work Shaker Loops. There is a strong body of work for Adams, and these are only the peaks.

Steve Reich was one of the original three minimalist voices, along with Glass and Riley. The shifting pulses of works like Variations for Winds, Strings and Keyboards and Music for 18 Musicians are more purely minimalist than Adams, but manage to sound nothing like Glass or Riley at the same time. The opening track of John Williams' AI score - 'The Mecha World' - shows at a couple of moments that he's been listening to a bit of Reich over the years. I would like to know more about his work, particularly what he's been doing over the last decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks! What standard for a starter, non-synth works would you recommend?
  7. With Adams, you want this CD:
    http://www.amazon.com/John-Adams-Harmon … amp;sr=1-2
    It has Harmonielehre, the Chairman Dances, and Short Ride in a Fast Machine (a great little piece).

With Reich, I'd not necessarily resist the electronic stuff. Though there's a lot of keyboards, the way he creates a special sense of space in his orchestrations is really nice, and not exclusive to acoustic instruments. However, to be honest, since I know you like SOLARIS, you should start with the Variations piece I mention above. There are a few ideas which I think Martinez probably was inspired by, but here you get to hear it drawn out over 20 minutes, and a bit more vertically active.
    http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Reich-Varia … mp;sr=1-25

Those two cds together set you back $20 US, not counting shipping. Not a bad deal?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    thanks mate! will check them out, the first one certainly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not that I'm defending Rosenman's words at all, but it certainly sparks a more interesting thread. (Not that that in anyway condoles the words.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Not that I'm defending Rosenman's words at all, but it certainly sparks a more interesting thread. (Not that that in anyway condoles the words.)

It would be much better if the interest was sparked by his music instead, now wouldn't it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

It would be much better if the interest was sparked by his music instead, now wouldn't it?

I do like some of Rosenman's work, his Lord of The Rings has some fantastic moments, Beneath The Planet of The pes and Fantastic Voyage and hell, I even like his Robocop 2....just not as much as Basil's tongue wink , his unreleased score to eco-horror film Prophecy is very good too.

He's still ( was ) a tit though.

Michael,

What were the "harsh" comments John Barry made about other composers? I can only remember comments made to artists he's worked with, most notoriously about Norwegian pop group a~ha, even then there's a twinkle in the old mans eye.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

You mean, people at Maintitles would discuss music which is more than five years old? Are you serious? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    What were the "harsh" comments John Barry made about other composers? I can only remember comments made to artists he's worked with, most notoriously about Norwegian pop group a~ha, even then there's a twinkle in the old mans eye.

As far as I know Barry hasn't made any specific comments about other composers, he's just expressed disappointment with modern film scoring in general.