• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    What were the "harsh" comments John Barry made about other composers? I can only remember comments made to artists he's worked with, most notoriously about Norwegian pop group a~ha, even then there's a twinkle in the old mans eye.

As far as I know Barry hasn't made any specific comments about other composers, he's just expressed disappointment with modern film scoring in general.

Exactly what I thought!? Over to you Michael?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. That damn FSM search function... I seem to remember a couple of names being named in that 'all modern film music is bad' interview he did in 2007, but I can't get to the second page of search results at FSM.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    we fared better than FSM as the same topic was locked!!!
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If only there could be an appropriate venue for The Battle of the Forums. Maybe a forum or something. That was called Battle Forum. Yeah, totally.

Bregt?
  2. Southall wrote
    Always ready with an excuse... wink

Is it just me who remembers David Arnold getting criticised by Barry? (Mind you, I may be remembering the remarks of FSM's Alex Klein, who believes he speaks for Barry.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I did hear some things through the grapevine about what Barry's said about Arnold (things which would make even Leonard Rosenman wince) but I'm not sure he's said anything publically. Of course, I may have missed it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Always ready with an excuse... wink

Is it just me who remembers David Arnold getting criticised by Barry? (Mind you, I may be remembering the remarks of FSM's Alex Klein, who believes he speaks for Barry.)

Not surprised, Arnold was stalking him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    In this age of being correct about everything people should no longer give an opinion, in fact silence is probably the best tactic.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Don't mistake silence for diplomacy.
    Not speaking up is the first strike in favour of the Bad Guys.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. May I quote you somewhere down the road? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    By all means.
    I always find myself eminently quotable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    By all means.

Aren't you always doing that?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote
    By all means.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Oh my god. A time paradox. Grab your children and run, people!
  5. Oh my god. A time paradox. Grab your... äh... wait... wasn´t it just a glitch in the Matrix?

Anyway, RUN!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    True enough but?
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008 edited
    I'm surprised that so many of you were unfamiliar with Rosenman's bloated ego. I did a thread about this several years ago at FSM, but can't seem to find it now. There are things he said in 80's interviews that were just as bad - even to the extent that he LIED (for example, claiming that the only reason he did all those sequels was because he was not AVAILABLE for the first films!). The lack of humility and the aggrandizement of his self is simply unbelievable. I haven't even met celebrities or academics who are CLOSE to this.

I have no problem with him criticizing other composers. That can actually be refreshing instead of all that Hollywood smooth talk. No, I only have an issue with his comments on HIMSELF. I have a strong dislike of bloated egos.

The case isn't made any stronger by the fact that his music almost always leaves me totally cold.

Anyways, he's gone now and one shouldn't speak ill of the dead etc., but I think enough time has passed to call a shovel for shovel, as we say up here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008
    The lying is bad and not acceptable.
    Thomas smile
  6. I like his quotes about Dr. Zhivago. He said that the orchestra was "in the last phase of elephantiasis". Then he complained about composers "not able to write a decent counterpoint". spin
  7. Thor wrote
    I'm surprised that so many of you were unfamiliar with Rosenman's bloated ego.

Don't be. Round here you're a bit of a veteran if you were actively listening to film music when GLADIATOR came out. wink
  8. So I am quite a veteran. Cool! biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE2u1cn6 … re=related

Clip from "Combat!", for which he scored many episodes. I bring this to your attention because of the scoring at the beginning. Fans of old TV scoring, and Rosenman, will aprreciate the find.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Looking forward to hearing Leonard Rosenman's score to Hellfighters.

I remember this movie from when I was younger and I had a vague recollection that the music was quite good. Listening to the Intrada clips just confirms my recollection was correct!

In some ways it sounds atypical of Rosenman's music I'm used to (a bit more melodic?) but there are frequent subtle reminders that this is a Rosenman score!

I'd say that this may be one of the more approachable scores from this excellent composer for people who are not that familiar with his work.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. 1989 audio interview:
    http://www.archive.org/details/MC_1989_06_03

Thanks to a post by Lukas at FSM. Never heard Rosenman's voice before until today. Has that deep Art Bell sound, with same pace in delivery and reply, but with a deeper tone.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    Interesting. His voice sounds VERY MUCH like Leonard Nimoy's. Since they were good friends, it would have been cool to hear them talk to each other! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Posted by recent FSM member Ed Nassour, an ex studio executive who has made a bunch of long, informative, and fun posts (just spend some time going threw them -- wonderful stuff). Anyway, he tells this story:

Back in the 1970s I got to know Leonard Rosenman quite well. One day while at his home I reminded him how he tended to end a film with ascending notes. He looked at me as if dumbfounded saying "I don't know what you're talking about." At that point I had nothing to lose so I hummed a couple of endings such as to "Rebel Without a Cause." He turned to his then wife Lynn shaking his head as if I was crazy. She laughed and said, "He does have a point. You do tend to use the same endings." That got Lennie so upset he left the room!
  13. That's funny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010
    FILM SCORE MONTHLY presents: A Man Called Horse (1970)
    Limited Edition of 2,000 Copies.
    Composed by: Leonard Rosenman

Film Score Monthly presents another extraordinary, groundbreaking score by film music pioneer Leonard Rosenman. Elliot Silverstein’s A Man Called Horse (1970) chronicled the progress of a “civilized” Westerner finding purpose among a “primitive” culture. The film starred Richard Harris (Man in the Wilderness) as John Morgan, an English lord captured, tortured and humiliated by Native Americans from the Sioux tribe in 1825. Morgan eventually earns the respect of the tribal chief and even undergoes the brutal Sun Vow ceremony to become a Sioux warrior.

With unprecedented cooperation between the production and members of the Rosebud Sioux Reservation, producer Sandy Howard tried to give the film an authentic cultural presentation (although the lack of Native American records prior to 1870 made it a challenging task). A corresponding attempt at authenticity was made in the film’s musical score.

Leonard Rosenman’s music for A Man Called Horse is a remarkable achievement, written in the composer’s distinctive modernist voice. Throughout the score, Rosenman employs Sioux chanting and quasi-Native American instrumentation (percussion, recorders and flutes) for a far more authentic sound than typically heard in Hollywood westerns. In 1970, bowdlerized “Indian” clichés were all that most audiences had heard in Hollywood productions; in this context, Rosenman’s score is a breath of fresh air, representing a sincere attempt to do justice to Sioux culture. He uses the orchestra to drive and shape the Native American-flavored vocals and percussion in a way that had virtually no antecedent in mainstream American films.

Music from A Man Called Horse was originally issued on a Columbia Records LP, featuring six long underscore suites arranged, not in film order, but for home listening. This premiere CD release of the complete score includes the entire LP sequence in stereo (from the original album masters) plus bonus tracks of previously unreleased Rosenman cues—some transferred from 1” 8-track masters and the rest taken from monaural masters archived at UCLA (home of the CBS music archives). The CD also features a number of percussion and ambient Sioux source cues recorded by both Sioux performers and Hollywood musicians.

The booklet includes detailed notes on the film and its music by Jeff Bond and Lukas Kendall, film stills selected by designer Joe Sikoryak, and the original LP liner notes.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … LED-HORSE/
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!