• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008
    Well enjoy...you've got a long way until you get to track 14. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Good god... NP The Dark Knight - Why So Serious with the headphones... dizzy

I don't know what's so appealing about this score...technically it's rubbish...but I love it! spin

You too Anthony? crazy
    I´ve tried, I´ve tried hard, but I still think it´s a very lazy and boring effort. Oh, and a funny thing, I´ve watched "The Lost Boys" today (when Kiefer Sutherland wasn´t Jack Bauer yet) and the so original Joker Theme is in the score (by Thomas Newman btw).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I just skipped to track 14, A Dark Knight from The Dark Knight. I think there are better scores for me to get my Zimmer shot from for instance Last Samurai, King Arthur or even MI:2 ! But that's just my first impression... of the first and final track.
    wink
  1. Anthony wrote
    The Lost World - Jurassic Park | John Williams

The second half of "The Trek" is SO good!!

Yes I like this score, just a nudge beneath JP, but still high class entertaining stuff. The action cues in particular are exhilarating.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - John Williams

Now this one needs no mini-review. At all! Maybe the most recognizable and most well known soundtrack of all time stands very high on my list of favorites. John Williams struck my film music loving brain senseless with this one, but it was not until years later after seeing the movie in 1982 (and being terrified by it, I kid you not!!!!) that the score became such a wonderful piece of art that effortlessly transports me back to my childhood. Even the slower more quiet tracks create a loveable atmosphere. And what is there to be said of the finale? Really, it's not something you simply listen to, it's something you feel deep inside, it's an experience that is uplifting and emotional it gets me by the throat every time.

My rating: punk punk punk punk punk

Like it could've been anything less than that! smile

I muchly prefer hearing how much my fellow film-music fans enjoy scores, rather than the *insert-latest-blockbuster-film-score* bashing that fills far too many of the posts...

it's easy to be critical, but its much more interesting when someone takes the time to express their love for a score as eloquently as you did there. thank you smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Nothing wrong with mixing the new with the old...

But old and fantastic (in the case of a real classic) means you can write down all the feelings you've experienced over the years listening to it. So for me it comes much easier than writing down about some month old score which I've probably haven't listened to in a more objective way. In fact I don't buy much new stuff anymore, due to lack of interest in these new scores.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Bregje wrote

I don't know what's so appealing about this score...technically it's rubbish...but I love it! spin

Rubbish? I would call it absolutely spot-on and working wonders in the film.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Bregje wrote

Rubbish? I would call it absolutely spot-on and working wonders in the film.

Finally! You saw the movie...tell me D please....

What about the score? and your final opinion is?
  3. Bloodrayne II (Jessica de Rooij)

Apart from the first 40 minutes (which are boring to hell), some nice Morricone Western moments and occassional orchestral bursts are most welcome, to late to save a listening experience I'm affraid
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JESUS OF NAZARETH - Maurice Jarre

One of THE great TV scores!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:The Dark Knight

Wow....One of my favourite from Zimmer. (yes, you read well)

The first score was one of the worst scores by Zimmer, But I always thought the sound of "molossus" and "antrozous" , for some reason, was perfect for Batman. This Kicks of String (like Backdraft or Black Rain) was muscular but at the same time dark and dramatic for the character. And The Dark Knight is an "agressive" expansion of that!!!

"A dark Knight" it's incredibly addictve. This Zimmer adagios with his techno touch from Regarding Henry /k2 / thelma and Lousie blows my mind away! Then this dark and almost gothic use of brass and then the spooky crescendo ala The ring.....What a mix! I love the final 3 minutes too, with the 2 main theme : the new batman theme with some explosive kicks of brass and then the 2 notes motif more contundent and powerful.
    I can't wait for the movie!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Road To Perdition Thomas Newman

Ahh, what a score. Every time I've played this one, without fail (if someone's around within ear shot) someone comments on that first track.
    "Ooh, where's that from?"
    "Road To Perdition"
    "Can you put that on m iPod?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008 edited
    NP - Mychael Danna - Surf's Up "Boneyards" - I can't help but think that this cue owes a bunch to Danny's Spidey scores. But everything leading up to this cue has been okay. Nothing great. From the hype that came about this score and its release, I'm slightly underwhelmed by it all. Functional stuff.

Edited to include name of album
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    Steven wrote

Ahh, what a score. Every time I've played this one, without fail (if someone's around within ear shot) someone comments on that first track.
    "Road To Perdition"

Indeed, one of my favourites. A great score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    lp wrote
    NP - Mychael Danna - "Boneyards" - I can't help but think that this cue owes a bunch to Danny's Spidey scores. But everything leading up to this cue has been okay. Nothing great. From the hype that came about this score and its release, I'm slightly underwhelmed by it all. Functional stuff.

Euhm, I never heard of it actually. Did I miss this release or is it just a main title from a show?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates of The Caribbean - At World's End - Hans Zimmer

punkpunkpunkpunkpunk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote

"Road To Perdition"

Haven't heard/seen it yet, but it looks like something I'd like. I'll pick it later (on StreamingSoundtracks first wink )

NP: Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas - Harry G-W

Boring movie, fun score.
    (HGW's melodies sometimes remind me of Princess Mononoke... but maybe it's just me. dizzy )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya wrote
    Steven wrote

"Road To Perdition"

Haven't heard/seen it yet, but it looks like something I'd like. I'll pick it later (on StreamingSoundtracks first wink )

Really? Damn, you don't know what you're missing! A beautiful film score, perhaps what's Thomas Newman's best to date and a perfectly-shot and acted, very nice-looking strong movie. Couldn't recommend it more.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Christodoulides wrote
    Miya wrote
    Steven wrote

"Road To Perdition"

Really? Damn, you don't know what you're missing! A beautiful film score, perhaps what's Thomas Newman's best to date and a perfectly-shot and acted, very nice-looking strong movie. Couldn't recommend it more.

I've started watching wider range of movies just a few years ago (especially non-animated ones... call me kiddie wink)... so there are a lot of films I can enjoy for the rest of my life. I'll definitely watch/listen to Road To Perdition!

NP: "Homeland (Main Title)" from Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron - Hans Zimmer

I'm addicted to this track recently...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  4. James Horner - In Country

This score functions only in form of bootlegs. A pity, because it's a piece of heartfelt Americana with beautiful themes. The track "Listen, Sam" is the kind of a piano miniature only Horner is capable of writing, though without the impressionistic qualities of definitely Satie inspired Gillian.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Narnia - Prince Caspian - Harry Gregson-Williams

Very enjoyable score, if not a great one. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Narnia - Prince Caspian - Harry Gregson-Williams

Very enjoyable score, if not a great one. punk

Agreed! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote

I've started watching wider range of movies just a few years ago (especially non-animated ones... call me kiddie wink)... so there are a lot of films I can enjoy for the rest of my life. I'll definitely watch/listen to Road To Perdition!

I must warn you that most of the album can be a little slow and perhaps even boring if you're not used to Newman's subtle, low-key scoring. So don't expect a blistering barrage of symphonic melody from every track! (Really only the first track can be partially described in that way, the rest is quite dark and nearer the end string-heavy.) Definitely helps to have seen the movie, as usual with most Newman scores.

I love it, but it did take a while to grow on me. For a much easier listen and generally more enjoyable album, I'd go for Little Women. Now that is a fine Newman album! Not a single low-key moment in it, not like the usual Newman subtleties at least, and brimming with melody and lush orchestrations. Definitely my favourite Newman album, while Shawshank from the same year is my favourite Newman score. Both of those would be a great start if you're not too familiar with Newman?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Star Wars Trilogy - John Williams
    performed by the National Philharmonic - conducted by Charles Gerhardt.

I recently acquired the non-Dolby version of the RCA Star Wars and Jedi album so I decided to create a playlist containing Gerhardt's wonderful interpretations of the Star Wars trilogy. IMHO, Gerhardt's version of Princess Leia's theme is the best of the best. And Gerhardt LOVED "Here They Come" so much that he insisted Williams include it in the concert program. The National Philharmonic perform the shit out of the piece! Thunderous!!!

The Empire album contains one of only two known recordings of the "Han and The Princess" concert suite which is superbly performed. Gerhardt's version of "The Imperial March" is the way I would love to hear it in concert halls starting with the "Carbon Freeze" version of Vader's theme and then blending into the concert version of The Imperial March. Again, I'm still annoyed with the lazy trumpet performance on the Empire album but it's still a fantastic listen.

Jedi contains easily one of the best sounding albums I've ever heard. I also love the combined "Into The Trap; Fight in the Dungeon" arrangement. For years that track contained the only commercially available music from the Rancor Pit scene. Gerhardt's slower rendition of the Rebel Victory fanfare at the end of "The Sail Barge Battle" is even better than the original. The "pops" style finale to that cue is awesome! And the underrated "Jabba's Theme" gets a splendid performance here. We don't hear alot from the tuba and most composers these days don't use one. So, it's great to hear it singled out here. It's not an easy piece to play and I'm sure the tuba player's lips where hurting after the recording sessions. And those snaky strings at the 2 minute mark are so sly and evil. Wonderful!

I could have use less Ewok battle music but all the major highlights are here. The only really annoyance is the non-vocal version of the original Ewok Celebration. I'm sure hiring a HUGE chorus just for a few minutes of work would not be cost effective but the piece is naked without the chorus. A Lost Horizon sized chorus singing at the top of there lungs...

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
    Celebrate the might; (Power!)
    Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
    Celebrate the love!

...recorded by K.E. Wilkinson would have been brilliant.

Anyway, these two hours have just zipped by and it's a wonderful reminder why John Williams is the best at what he does and why the original Star Wars trilogy is miles ahead of anything composed today... even the prequel trilogy.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Are the non-Dolby versions better? (Also, I'm curious to see that playlist.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates of The Caribbean (Unreleased Suites)

Now this is some great bonus fun for fans of the trilogy scores!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Are the non-Dolby versions better? (Also, I'm curious to see that playlist.)

Yes. Brighter with a bit more detail. K.E. Wilkinson's original recordings are preserved on the non-Dolby versions. BTW, the playlist is basically all the Star Wars music recorded by Gerhardt in chronological order.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The Film Music of Ron Goodwin

Now this is a great compilation of Goodwin´s music from track 1 until the last one, with most of his memorable main themes.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Lord of The Rings - The Return of The King (Complete Recordings) - Howard Shore

The best score of the trilogy, IMO. And what a lavish release! Each and every track in this is a gem IMO, and the last 2 discs are just marvellous!! punk punk punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Bregt wrote
    lp wrote
    NP - Mychael Danna - "Boneyards" - I can't help but think that this cue owes a bunch to Danny's Spidey scores. But everything leading up to this cue has been okay. Nothing great. From the hype that came about this score and its release, I'm slightly underwhelmed by it all. Functional stuff.

Euhm, I never heard of it actually. Did I miss this release or is it just a main title from a show?

Oh shite! I forgot to list the name of the actual soundtrack album it's from, Surf's Up.