• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008 edited
    NP: Mongol - Tuomas Kantelinen

First listen. The opening track is fantastic. Eerie with vocals, low rumbling brass and low strings. Battle music is mostly consisted of driving strings, low brass clusters, and a wall of percussion. The throat singing throughout the album is really cool. I don't know how to describe it but I don't think I've heard anything like it in a score. There is also a high pitched singer (female I assume) whaling away over top of everything as well but it works extremely well.

The "Love Theme" I'd say is the only "western" sounding elements from the score. It's very traditional, melodic and beautiful. It let's Kantelinen do what he does best and that's create wonderful and memorable melodies.

The rest of the score is very low key, atmospheric and fitting for a film that takes place a 1000 years ago. However, you do get a few cues that sound like modern day rock tunes... that's unfortunate... especially after the last track. WTF? vomit But skip those and enjoy the rest of the score. It's a raw and extremely well crafted score. I don't think it will be everyone's cup of tea but I like it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote

First listen. The opening track is fantastic. Eerie with vocals, low rumbling brass and low strings. Battle music is mostly consisted of driving strings, low brass clusters, and a wall of percussion. The throat singing throughout the album is really cool. I don't know how to describe it but I don't think I've heard anything like it in a score. There is also a high pitched singer (female I assume) whaling away over top of everything as well but it works extremely well.

The "Love Theme" I'd say is the only "western" sounding elements from the score. It's very traditional, melodic and beautiful. It let's Kantelinen do what he does best and that's create wonderful and memorable melodies.

The rest of the score is very low key, atmospheric and fitting for a film that takes place a 1000 years ago. However, you do get a few cues that sound like modern day rock tunes... that's unfortunate... especially after the last track. WTF? vomit But skip those and enjoy the rest of the score. It's a raw and extremely well crafted score. I don't think it will be everyone's cup of tea but I like it!

-Erik-

Sounds vey interesting Erik, certainly picqued my interest. The only album I have that I can think of that contains 'throat singing' is Poledouris's ON DEADLY GROUND.

NP : EXORCIST II : THE HERETIC - Ennio Morricone

Gorgeously melodic main theme, a brilliant rock instrumental and some genuinely creepy / scary music complete with eerie vocals. I've always enjoyed this one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Living Daylights John Barry

An excellent Bond score, definitely one of the best. Though I can't help thinking that Arnold's use of electronics far outshine any used by Barry here. Granted this was composed in 1987, so synths weren't to the standard we're used to today, and to be fair, they don't actually sound too dated.

I do like the electronics used in this score, but I much prefer Arnold's.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Living Daylights John Barry

An excellent Bond score, definitely one of the best. Though I can't help thinking that Arnold's use of electronics far outshine any used by Barry here. Granted this was composed in 1987, so synths weren't to the standard we're used to today, and to be fair, they don't actually sound too dated.

I do like the electronics used in this score, but I much prefer Arnold's.

Are they really Arnold's? That particular sound he uses is very much The Propellerheads, I have no doubt he was influenced by working with them on his album / ( Bond CV wink ) 'Shaken & Stirred : The David Arnold James Bond Project'. Regardless, I like the tecno aspects of Arnold's scores too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Perhaps, perhaps. But my favourite action track with synths from all the Arnold Bond scores is 'Come In 007, Your Time Is Up', and I think that's definitely Arnold's doing. And I don't doubt he was influenced by The Propellerheads, but I think he has taken it much further than that since Tomorrow Never Dies. I genuinely think Arnold is one of the best for mixing synths with orchestra and making it sound good. Much like Powell. [/Arnold defending]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Perhaps, perhaps. But my favourite action track with synths from all the Arnold Bond scores is 'Come In 007, Your Time Is Up', and I think that's definitely Arnold's doing. And I don't doubt he was influenced by The Propellerheads, but I think he has taken it much further than that since Tomorrow Never Dies. I genuinely think Arnold is one of the best for mixing synths with orchestra and making it sound good. Much like Powell. [/Arnold defending]

And I'm not going to argue with you beer cool

( except for "perhaps, perhaps', it's 'definitely, deinitely' )
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Molossus Vs Like a Dog Chasing cars

What heroic theme do you prefer???? And Why do you think Batman theme from Molossus is not used in The Dark Knight???
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: Molossus Vs Like a Dog Chasing cars

What heroic theme do you prefer???? And Why do you think Batman theme from Molossus is not used in The Dark Knight???

It appears someone has a one track mind. rolleyes wink
  1. NP: Jennifer 8 - Christopher Young

One of my favourite scores of all time - Young's main title theme for this movie is such a beautiful piece of music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Erik Woods wrote

This score seems to have taken so long to appear. Thanks for the info, Erik. I'm looking forward to hearing this one soon.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Sounds vey interesting Erik, certainly picqued my interest. The only album I have that I can think of that contains 'throat singing' is Poledouris's ON DEADLY GROUND.

KUNDUN had Tibetan throat singing. Also there's some very clever harmonic use of Tuvan throat singing in THE GOLDEN COMPASS (the opening of the first track). This MONGOL score sounds like it really tries to harness the potential of the 'instrument' though, so I'm looking forward to hearing it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    NP - Terminator 3 - Marco Beltrami - I enjoy Marco's action writing, though this score deserve more of the metallic and cold, Brad Fiedel sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Miya wrote

I've started watching wider range of movies just a few years ago (especially non-animated ones... call me kiddie wink)... so there are a lot of films I can enjoy for the rest of my life. I'll definitely watch/listen to Road To Perdition!

I must warn you that most of the album can be a little slow and perhaps even boring if you're not used to Newman's subtle, low-key scoring. So don't expect a blistering barrage of symphonic melody from every track! (Really only the first track can be partially described in that way, the rest is quite dark and nearer the end string-heavy.) Definitely helps to have seen the movie, as usual with most Newman scores.

I love it, but it did take a while to grow on me. For a much easier listen and generally more enjoyable album, I'd go for Little Women. Now that is a fine Newman album! Not a single low-key moment in it, not like the usual Newman subtleties at least, and brimming with melody and lush orchestrations. Definitely my favourite Newman album, while Shawshank from the same year is my favourite Newman score. Both of those would be a great start if you're not too familiar with Newman?

Only 2 Thomas Newman scores I have are Finding Nemo and Shawshank, and I like both. The more I listen to them, the more I like them... I'll check out Little Women too (movie, then score.)

NP: The Holiday - Hans Zimmer

Right now, this is the only one CD I can listen to thorough my speakers (without hooking up my iBook/iPod)... because my CD player's tray got stuck dizzy But I never got tired of this pleasant score, so it's ok biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote

Only 2 Thomas Newman scores I have are Finding Nemo and Shawshank, and I like both. The more I listen to them, the more I like them... I'll check out Little Women too (movie, then score.)

I don't think seeing the movie in this case is particularly vital to the enjoyment or even understanding of the score, it's just a sweet, melodic and wonderful soundtrack. Absolutely one of my favourite scores, and I've not seen the movie!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP - Hans Zimmer - Thelma & Louise - a classic unreleased score. I love how it's both atmospheric and thematic at the same time. The main title theme is a gem of a piece. If anyone like the sole montage cue from the official song album, Thunderbird, seek the full release, it's worth it.
  4. lp wrote
    NP - Hans Zimmer - Thelma & Louise - a classic unreleased score. I love how it's both atmospheric and thematic at the same time. The main title theme is a gem of a piece. If anyone like the sole montage cue from the official song album, Thunderbird, seek the full release, it's worth it.

Oh yes a good early Zimmer that actually screams for a release. I would buy it for sure. Love the guitar work and the more playful tracks, and the theme is indeed gorgeous. But the one track that always stays in my mind is Wide Awake with those awesome drums. And the final chase cue is also very cool.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. NP: 1492: Conquest of Paradise (Vangelis)

It's been some time since I last heard it. But last night, I reordered the CDs in the shelf so I thought I'd listen to this again. This album is one of my favourite, and I think it is one of his best.

'Conquest of Paradise' gets me everytime. punk I also like 'Monastery of La Rabida' and 'Light and Shadow'. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Lion King (21 track boot) - Hans Zimmer

Darn this mono sound!!! It gets on my nerves that so many excellent tracks have to be mono, and the quality of those after that is below average. This gem is crying for an official release!!!! crazy cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    lp wrote

Oh yes a good early Zimmer that actually screams for a release. I would buy it for sure. Love the guitar work and the more playful tracks, and the theme is indeed gorgeous. But the one track that always stays in my mind is Wide Awake with those awesome drums. And the final chase cue is also very cool.

"Wide Awake" is definitely one of my favorite cues as well. It also typify the whole atmospheric/thematic concept that make me love this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Forbidden Kingdom David Buckley

This score from protégé of Harry Gregson-Williams is quite a fun one - and dare I say it better than the vast majority of HGW scores. Not original, but very stylish and enjoyable. Much like Kung Fu Panda, but with less of a Powellish feel to it. (So not as good!)

The album could do with some trimming as some of the cues do slip into rather generic scoring, but among them there are some genuinely exciting pieces.

A nice surprise.

Agree. As good as I remembered from the movie. A fun orchestral ride to ancient China with nice dramatic themes and some standard (although interesting in orchestrations) action music. Oh, and great performance by The Northwest Sinfonia.
    Now this is a composer I´m paying attention to in the future.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I was playing Chris Tilton's wonderful score to La Lune You can download the entire score FOR FREE at Chris' web site.

http://www.christilton.com/disc/la_lune.html

NP: Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace - Robert Folk

Add this to one of the most enjoyable, over the top action score ever composed. A wonderful blend of John Williamsesque orchestrations and Goldsmith Total Recall electronics. If those two composers ever composed a score together this is no doubt how it would sound.

There is awesomeness all over this score! BTW, those that don't own it Amazon is selling used copies for $2. Highly recommended!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Now THERE's an informative post!
    Many thanks, Erik!!

kiss wave
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Actually, thank tjguitar. He's the one that pointed it out to me.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Final Conflict Jerry Goldsmith

Few things in the universe beat the awesomeness of this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Count of Monte Cristo - Edward Shearmur

This was my introduction to the music of Edward Shearmur and this score absolutely blew me away. From the big choral/orchestral introduction to the first call of the scores main theme in "Landing On Elba" to its brilliant and complete performance during the End Credits. It's one solid and very well crafted score. Those types of melodies don't get a lot of play in scores these days.

The epic action material is superb... and there is a killer rhythm in "Escape From The Island" that I wish Shearmur used more of. It starts at the 3:25 mark but dies only 40 or so seconds later. The rest of the track with that rhythm if it was allowed to build into something bigger could have easily rivaled Williams' "Desert Chase." So much potential there. But he then does his best Goldenthal impression a minute later... wink

Anyway. excellent score and one that I should return to more often.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Count of Monte Cristo - Edward Shearmur

This was my introduction to the music of Edward Shearmur and this score absolutely blew me away. From the big choral/orchestral introduction to the first call of the scores main theme in "Landing On Elba" to its brilliant and complete performance during the End Credits. It's one solid and very well crafted score. Those types of melodies don't get a lot of play in scores these days.

The epic action material is superb... and there is a killer rhythm in "Escape From The Island" that I wish Shearmur used more of. It starts at the 3:25 mark but dies only 40 or so seconds later. The rest of the track with that rhythm if it was allowed to build into something bigger could have easily rivaled Williams' "Desert Chase." So much potential there. But he then does his best Goldenthal impression a minute later... wink

Anyway. excellent score and one that I should return to more often.

-Erik-

You have it?! shocked Man, I envy you. I really must get my hands on this score. At least I now know it's a good one, for certain! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TheTelmarine wrote

You have it?! shocked Man, I envy you.

You're that surprised? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

biggrin

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

You're that confused? biggrin It's just one I've been wanting to get, but is out of print; I mean it's not like it's the best score in the world... rolleyes tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well yeah, but since Erik is the host and producer of a little radio show called Cinematic Sound it's not surprising he does have it! wink (I picked it up for a tenner a while ago, pretty good bargain considering the quality of the score and the amount it can be found to go for today.)