• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. sdtom wrote
    sleep sleep sleep

slept just fine last night
    Thomas

Cheers, Tom. punk

Sometimes I wonder if there's some sort of "Ignore List" operating here. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010
    I didn't!
    I was watching BT stocks fall and doom the market!
    And it's all Alan's fault! angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010 edited
    ANyone know of a good and trust-worthy software that scans and corrects hard disk-related errors like bad sectors and stuff, either within ms windows or offline (dos for instance)? I've brought my two external hard disks (500g and 1000g respectively) with my to Cyprus to work, but unfortunately it seems that something bothered them (although i can't imagine what as i carried them in should handbag...maybe the x-ray machine at the airport? it wouldn't be the first time they went through that though, and i didn't have any problems in the past) and windows is having problems reading them correctly. It suggests scan and fix within windows but that takes ages and actually freezes, and when it suggested a scheduling of off-line hard disk scanning via the CHKDSK command in command prompt, i tried doing it on the 1 of the 2 hard disks, which resulted in a 100 giga (yeah, you read right) loss of data, mostly film music (yeah, thank you Microsoft).

I can't tell you how desperate i am to find a correct solution for the other disc so that i don't suffer data loss there as well...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010
    Linux's disc utility says "disc has a few bad sectors" how the fuck can i correct this without data loss?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010
    Try to find the music file with the bad sector(s) and delete it?
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010 edited
    Well, that's what windows' checkdisk already did on my 1st hard drive and i lost data...i am trying the software HD REGENERATOR on the other disk, in offline (dos) mode but it's 1 terrabyte large and it says the scan and repair (with reportedly no data loss) will take 26 hours!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    Put in a slave disk and copy the data over using the linux boot disk (or an XP boot disk)!
    It's the only SURE way!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know, you've told me that before and you're correct. Up until now i didn't think it was necessary to spend extra money on extra hard disks, but yeah, after that, every time i get a new external hdd i'll make the quantity in the shopping card "2". Fuck's sake, these things you can't really trust!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010 edited
    I wasn't actually talking about redundant disks and backup copies, D (that would be a rather unhelpful suggestion at this late stage now!).

I meant that if the disk is non-bootable, slave it to another OS installation (or slave another disk to your system and boot with the Knoppix disk or an XP lite disk). And then copy as much over as you can. You will probably (likely) still lose some data, but you should be able to retrieve 99% this way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, never heard of that. Do you have any links that explain the procedure?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's quite easy actually:
    Just take the HD out, and plug it into another PC -preferably with the same OS) as the secondary disk.
    Boot that PC from its own primary disk and it should recognize your original disk as an extended disk: a D:/E:/whatever- drive.

You should be able to simply access the disk as you would any other non-primary disk.

However, I had no inkling "bad sectors" had been already freed up in this manner. This may result in files not being obviously visible (you may try looking for different FOUND.XXX folders.

An alternative for a manual search is using handy recovery, which trawls your hard disk, finding deleted files.
    It includes a search function for ease of use.
    www.handyrecovery.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010 edited
    AAAAARRRGGGHHH !!!
    My external Maxtor hard drive doesn't work anymore !
    My PC recognises the drive but it can't find any data on it !
    And a BIG part of my soundtrack collection was on it ... sad
    It still worked fine yesterday ...
    I'm sooo frustrated ... I don't wanna loose all my data ...

crazy crazy crazy
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010
    Check recuva, from filehippo.com. And other related software which Martijn and others recommended back.

Also try reading the disk in UBUNTU LINUX. Download the latest version (it's free), burn it on a disk, boot from that disk and check 'try out ubuntu linux", it'll let you in but it won't install anything in the computer and won't affect any files. When in, plug in the hard disk and see if linux manages to read it.

What o.s are you under btw?

Also, how did this happen? Out of nowhere?
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010
    THX for the tips my friend , I'm gonna give that a go ...

I'm running Windows XP ...

Dunno , how it happened ...
    The drive still worked fine two days ago .
    At night I've shut down the PC like I always do before going to bed and when I restarted the next day ,
    all my files on the external drive couldn't be found . My O.S still recognises the drive but it says there's
    0 kb on it ! I did a Windows XP update about two days ago , maybe that had something to do with it ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Eric wrote
    I did a Windows XP update about two days ago , maybe that had something to do with it ?

Hmmm. Perhaps you can restore an earlier point then just to check, although it does seem odd if this would be the reason?

Perhaps you can download a Linux on cd version and boot from cd to see if you can access the files from Linux.
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote
    Perhaps you can download a Linux on cd version and boot from cd to see if you can access the files from Linux.

Isn't that what Demetris recommended above?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt wrote

Isn't that what Demetris recommended above?

Ow, indeed! Missed that.smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    the only safe way is back up back up back up
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote

Right you are Tom - this ain't gonna happen again ! shame
    I'm gonna back-up , back-up , back-up and back-up in the future !
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    When my old computer died earlier this year everything was backed up and I lost nothing. Even the old word documents are readable in office 2007.
    Thomas
  3. Eric wrote
    sdtom wrote

Right you are Tom - this ain't gonna happen again ! shame
    I'm gonna back-up , back-up , back-up and back-up in the future !

What if the back-up of the back-up of the back-up gets corrupt? confused
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. If the back-up of the back-up of the back-up gets corrupted then at least you have the back-up of the back-up. That's what back-ups are for!

dizzy
  5. You're right. The back-up of the back-up would still be OK. But what if a virus creeped its way into the back-up? That means the back-up of the back-up would also be infected. Not even the back-up of the back-up of the back-up would save you then...

face-palm-mt
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010 edited
    See, that's why as a backup of my backup, I write everything down on paper.
    In binary.

Which I scan onto my computer.
    Which I back up.

See?
    It's a perfectly closed loop.

Of course I do not have time to listen to music any more.
    Or work.
    Or eat.

But I have a backup.
    Yes, I do.
    And pills.
    I am content.
  6. There, there, Martijn.

It's time for your medication...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010
    My answer would be simply that I wasn't really suppose to have the information and its time to move onto something else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010 edited
    face-palm-mt You guys are nuts ! biggrin

Anyway , the good news is - thanks to your tips , I've been able to access the drive .
    I'm now in the process of making a back-up of my original back-up , that I will back-up again later on .
    Still with me ?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Succes! Great!

How did you access the drive?
    Kazoo
  7. So as we understand each other Eric, you'll not be making a back-up of the original backup, but instead a back-up of the backed up back-up? And after that you'll be making a back-up of that latter backup or will you use the back-up of the original back-up to back up?

Anybody here willing to back me up with this line of thought?

Nuts??? I don't think so, this is Maintitles. beer

And Bregt, what's your stance on backing up meaningless off-topic posts on legitimate topics found on worldfamous message boards? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    DreamTheater wrote
    So as we understand each other Eric, you'll not be making a back-up of the original backup, but instead a back-up of the backed up back-up? And after that you'll be making a back-up of that latter backup or will you use the back-up of the original back-up to back up?

Yep , we're on the same wave lenght Gilles though I'm getting a bit ... dizzy by the use of all those , should I dare say it ... back-ups ! wink