• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote

ADVENT Sienna 500 - £480
    Intel Core i5-430M (2.26GHz) / 3GB DDR3 RAM / 250GB SATA / 3 hours battery
    3 x USB 2.0 ports / 1 x HDMI / 802.11b/g/n WLAN / integrated graphics card
    My current desktop PC is an Advent and although it's not a well-known brand it's lasted well

ACER Aspire 5741 - £480
    Intel Core i3-330M (2.13GHz) / 3GB DDR3 RAM / 320GB SATA / 4 hours battery
    3 x USB 2.0 ports / VGA, HDMI / Acer Nplify™ 802.11b/g/n / webcam / integrated graphics card

DELL Inspiron N5010 - £500
    Intel Core i3-350M (2.26GHz) / 3GB RAM / 320GB / 4.5 hours battery
    3 x USB / HDMI, VGA / 802.11 g/n / bluetooth / Intel® HD Graphics

PACKARD BELL EasyNote TJ65-AU-052 - £450
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4400 (2.2GHz) / 4GB RAM / 320GB SATA / ?
    4 x USB 2.0 ports / HDMI, VGA / 802.11b/g/n / webcam / Intel GMA 4500M

I'd go for the best processor; the i5. Although RAM is what really makes a difference to the apparent speed of your computer, and as the old saying goes, 4GBs is better than 3.

Martijn wrote
    Yes.
    Really.

You're just upset about those spidey pics. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010
    Alan,

CPU is no.1 in all performance, when going along with enough ram. 3gb ram is more than enough for your needs as you described them so there won't be any problem. Plus i bet it's expandable, meaning you can add more ram in the future if you wish.

Greater cpu with lesser ram > slower cpu with more ram

Therefore i'd personally go for:

DELL Inspiron N5010 - £500
    Intel Core i3-350M (2.26GHz) / 3GB RAM / 320GB / 4.5 hours battery
    3 x USB / HDMI, VGA / 802.11 g/n / bluetooth / Intel® HD Graphics

Reasons:
    1. Dell is the superior of all the brands you listed
    2. 2.26 ghz is pretty good, plus you get the i3 (i3,i5,i7 are all in the same family and much superior than the older quad's, duo's etc.)
    3.320 gb is great
    4. 4.5 hours of battery is very good, you really NEED good battery life with laptop these days, it's a very crucial factor at least to me 'cause otherwise if you run around sockets plugin it up all the tiime, it's not really a laptop anymore, is it ? wink (although you should know that this is very subjective to the usage of the pc, screen brightness, volume of audio playback, how fragmented the discs are / or not, the amount of simultaneous tasks the cpu is required to perform, wi-fi, bluetooth etc)
    5. hdmi, connects with all the new generation tv's
    6. intel on board graphics, although on-board, is still the best on-board (damn) graphics you can get on laptops.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. And four possible desktops:

HP Pavilion p6505uk - £500
    Intel® Core™ i3 processor 540 (3.06GHz) / 3GB DDR2 RAM / 500GB SATA
    WiFi Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n PCI-Ex1 minicard / Intel® HD Graphics
    Base unit only. Not sure I want all the software that's listed.

ACER Aspire M3800 - £530
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Q8300 (2.5GHz) / 4GB DDR2 RAM / 750GB SATA
    WiFi 802.11b.g.n / NVIDIA GeForce 310 graphics

MEDION I5 X10 I5650 - £580
    Intel® Core™ i5-650 (3.2GHz) / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 1TB SATA
    WiFi WLAN USB Dongle b/g/Draft n / ATI Radeon HD5450 (Cedar) graphics

PACKARD BELL iXtreme X6622UK - £580
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Q8300 (2.5GHz) / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 1TB SATA
    WiFi 802.11 b/g/n WLAN / NVIDIA GeForce GT320 graphics

Any use?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. I'm completely clueless about routers...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2010
    Alan, this one:

MEDION I5 X10 I5650 - £580
    Intel® Core™ i5-650 (3.2GHz) / 4GB DDR3 RAM / 1TB SATA
    WiFi WLAN USB Dongle b/g/Draft n / ATI Radeon HD5450 (Cedar) graphics

i5, by far PLUS it has a graphics card which is pretty crucial, the other 2 models have on-board graphic cards which are no good on desktop pc's.

As for routers, link me to the url of the store you want to shop from and i'll see what they have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    i5, by far PLUS it has a graphics card which is pretty crucial, the other 2 models have on-board graphic cards which are no good on desktop pc's.

Disagree, but only on principle: I am using an onboard card, and have been for five years without any issue... BUT I do NOT play games (AND I'm starting to run into some issues with video editing which partially have to do with non-dedicated video memory). So that consideration really is one that requires insight in what kind of games the PC will be used for, and/or what video-intensive actions will be taken (e.g. a course in 3d flash animation should require some heavy duty video memory usage as well).

I'm not a huge fan of Acer or HP (although of the two I'd take the Acer, for two reasons: HP uses a very proprietary slotting system which may cause some headache when needing to replace parts, and the ACer specs are simply a bit better).

At the end of the day the Medion and the Packard Bell specification-wise both seem fine for your needs, BUT I think you specifically said you wanted multiple processors...and only the Packard Bell sports those!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for routers, link me to the url of the store you want to shop from and i'll see what they have.

PC World is linked - more convenience than anything else.

I've had NetGear recommended to me so maybe the NetGear WNR 100?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's a fine one, Alan.
    However the speed seems a bit low: 150 Megabit/second is fine if you're just copying a file, or opening your mail on another PC, but -for example- streaming TV and copying 500 MB at the same time is already going to hurt!

What do you reckon your usage will be?

If you are indeed looking towards a fully integrated wired household, with each member of the family trying to download internet (so to speak) at the same time, you might want to have a look at a bit more powerful router.

If it's just you (and -say- one other person) browsing the web, opening a youtube film and reading MainTitles, this suffices.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, no on-board graphics card can even come close to anything dedicated; Since the price range is the same (or pretty similar), it's stupid to buy the on-board system.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're right of course D., but it doesn't matter if it doesn't come close when you don't use it, was my only point!. smile
    Like I said: I've used an onboard for YEARS without feeling any pain.

Anyway, that particular point is moot, as I would actually go for the Packard Bell, which also has a dedicated graphics card.
  3. Martijn wrote
    If it's just you (and -say- one other person) browsing the web, opening a youtube film and reading MainTitles, this suffices.

That's as much as I see the whole network being used for. None of us are high users. The only thing I can see that may stretch the network would be watching BBC iPlayer through the Wii - and we can do that now with the PC we have and a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector that zaps things from the PC to the Wii.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In that case a robust router from a reliable brand -such as that NetGear one you linked to- should be a fine choice, Alan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Netgear is top in their field.

The packard bell is also a good alternative but it has a much older cpu, it's a shame to spend money for a new pc NOW and get an older generation cpu; also the reason why i linked to the medion one is because ati makes much better gpu's these days than nvidia.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, but it's not multi-CPU!
    Even two lower-power CPUs are better than one industrial-strength one.
  4. I'm wavering toward the Packard Bell for the desktop: I'm more familiar with the name for one thing. A lot of the specifications are the same when it comes to my own needs.

One question I do have is that one is 32-bit operating system, the other 64-bit (the Packard). Does this make any difference in terms of software choices?

BTW, I think that I'm going to go with a NetGear DGN2200 wireless N router - I suppose a bit like the DGN2000?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Medion tends to have a great feature set, but the case is somewhat plasticy (at least from my experience) and gets loose ends after a time. But it's not like it falls apart. Just not as strong (but that was about 5 years ago).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's got the new generation cpu's, i'd go for that blindly.

Alan, as for the 64-bit system, most of the professional software in the future is planned to be released in x64 only versions, but until now there's both 32 and 64 bit versions for most sofware. The only major software which is available ONLY IN 64 bit version, is the new adobe master collection series version CS5, that is the new photoshop, adobe premiere etc etc. So if you're not going to use adobe cs5 you don't need an x64 system for now.

x64 is generally considered more stable though, and most probably the way to the future operating systems.
  5. Thanks for all your inputs - it made my decision slightly easier. In the end I've gone for:

- Packard Bell iXtreme X6622UK
    - Dell Inspiron N5010

Hopefully, I pick them up tomorrow...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Only slightly easier? sad cry
  6. Martijn wrote
    Only slightly easier? sad cry

What I meant to say was that all your comments made this part of the decision-making a lot easier but this easing of the trauma was almost immediately replaced by a new set of issues:

- how to prepare for the move from this PC to the next (made simpler because of the backup I frequently make onto an external hard drive - I'll use this to move back pertinent files). Part of the issue is how to transfer applications - such as "OrangeCD Catalog" - form one PC to another whilst retaining and/or re-activating a license
    - how to remove the second hard drive from the old PC and (hopefully) transfer it to the new PC (not essential because all these files are already backed up)
    - how to physically hook up all the various bits and establish the network and then get things like getting rid of unwanted software on the new PCs, installing all the little applications that I find useful at the moment, etc.

See?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010
    Install revo uninstaller free in the new pcs and completely remove everything you don't want, hassle-free. Plus we are always here wink Good luck and enjoy the new pc's!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    For OrangeCD you can actually simply reinstall it and use the key you received by mail.
    Done it many times.
  7. Martijn wrote
    For OrangeCD you can actually simply reinstall it and use the key you received by mail.
    Done it many times.

Now, where did I put that email?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Search for it..do you keep your mails locally via outlooke express (or similar) software or web-based? In any case, if you don't erase emails, most likely you'll find it, it should be relatively easy.
  8. Relax everyone - I found it!

And their site mentions that they would reset the key for anyone who had lost it. punk
  9. Sat in front of me are two computers in their boxes waiting to be opened. I have the router and so tomorrow's big project is to upgrade!

I'm hoping it's going to be pretty straightforward.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010 edited
    I'm doing a bit of reading on how to get things up and running with the network and I have a question.

At the moment I have the following connection in place:

PC <---------- SpeedTouch modem <---------- BT socket in wall

I'm assuming that the router has to be placed somewhere in this configuration in order to set up the wireless part of the new network. I thought that the Netgear router would REPLACE the SpeedTouch modem but it seems that the SpeedTouch modem needs to stay in the configuration?

Does this mean that I need to do the following?

PC <----- NetGear router* <----- SpeedTouch modem <----- BT socket in wall

And should I replace the filter/splitter I installed when I added the SpeedTouch modem with the filter/splitter I got with the Router - or will they be the same?

*The NetGear DGN2200 is a "Wireless-N 300 Modem Router".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010
    I thought it went:

Power socket --> Computer --> *sorcery and magic* --> The Internet

Also, isn't it BT's job to install it if you don't know how?
  10. Steven wrote
    Also, isn't it BT's job to install it if you don't know how?

That made me laugh!!

As far as I understand it, BT's not interested in anything actually inside the house. Except when the bill ends up on the table.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm doing a bit of reading on how to get things up and running with the network and I have a question.

At the moment I have the following connection in place:

PC <---------- SpeedTouch modem <---------- BT socket in wall

I'm assuming that the router has to be placed somewhere in this configuration in order to set up the wireless part of the new network. I thought that the Netgear router would REPLACE the SpeedTouch modem but it seems that the SpeedTouch modem needs to stay in the configuration?

So would I.
    The router doesn't have a built in modem then?
    You're quite sure? (seems odd...)

If you're sure:
    Does this mean that I need to do the following?

PC <----- NetGear router* <----- SpeedTouch modem <----- BT socket in wall

Yes.

And should I replace the filter/splitter I installed when I added the SpeedTouch modem with the filter/splitter I got with the Router - or will they be the same?

It's the same, or should be!

However:

*The NetGear DGN2200 is a "Wireless-N 300 Modem Router".

Seems like it should be able to replace your old SpeedTouch.
    Why do you think you need to retain your SpeedTouch?
    A modem is a modem... it's the same settings at the end of the day!