• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010 edited
    Many things are still wrong with Google chrome. I say you shouldn't switch to it just yet, until not before they finalize it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010
    Another question is how do I get rid of Panda???? It stopped working for whatever reason. I tried to delete using the unistall feature and it won't let me. I've gone to the program on the folder on the hard drive and had no luck either. It won't let me delete a program that doesn't work, pretty goofy.
    thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. D. is talking about a program called Revo Uninstaller, try that.

Use Ctrl+Shift+Escape to close the process of the program.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010
    I'm trying to hang onto this older computer because it does serve a purpose for me and its like i can't. the newer ie explorer takes up way too much memory to run on a 512RAM 1.7ghz pentium 4. just disgusted that chrome didn't work. you'd think they could make it work with facebook
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010
    Go to http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstall … 87648.html and download revo uninstaller free, install and run. Find panda, uninstall it and make sure that you let it search for leftovers after the uninstallation is completed and remove any found leftovers completely. Also from its AUTORUN function, make sure anything panda-related is turn off. Restart and you're ready smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010
    The Revo didn't work. But what did work was taking the folder from the hard drive and putting it in the trash can. There was something it was doing to try and save itself. As far as the facebook is concerned I talked to a friend who uses google chrome and facebook and they work. I might try getting rid of ie and then see if it works. What a can of worms, yuk
  2. I've a question about WiFi networks - more for my understanding rather than fixing a problem. And it's not really a question but a summary of what I think is my set-up. Anyone who'd like to comment on any issues they see would be great.

After switching everything back on after being on holiday I had to set up my network again. Then I saw a way to reload my previously-saved settings for the network.

One thing I noticed - and I was wondering if this was the way to go - was that I have my PC "hardwired" to my router and my internet access is via a Local Area Connection, i.e., the wire from my PC through the router and to the phone socket in the wall. This is the way I was connected before I did the WiFi stuff. Now I have the router in place this is what I link the phones and laptop to the internet with (a secure network).

At first I was concerned that the PC wasn't part of the WiFi network and so added a second connection through the wireless router and this meant that I had 2 connections showing up: the WiFi route and the LAC. Then it dawned on me that I don't need to have the WiFi connection for the desktop because it's connected to the internet directly. So I removed the WiFi connection and left the LAC.

I think what was confusing me was that the connection name that was showing up on the icon in the tray was not the name of the WiFi network!

So - as I understand it - I have broadband coming from the socket in the wall, reaching the router and then "splitting" into two paths. Firstly, there's the wired connection to my PC (through the router) and, secondly, there's the WiFi network from my router to the various peripherals that connect to the broadband through the router.

To the tech savvy this may seem like a simple system but it's something I'm still coming to grips with so treat me gently. Does this set up sound "right"?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    sdtom wrote
    The Revo didn't work. But what did work was taking the folder from the hard drive and putting it in the trash can. There was something it was doing to try and save itself. As far as the facebook is concerned I talked to a friend who uses google chrome and facebook and they work. I might try getting rid of ie and then see if it works. What a can of worms, yuk

You don't need to uninstall IE, Tom (it's also not easy to uninstall actually, if I remember well). Just leave it where it is, that's no problem and it'll save you lots of hassle when you might need it again.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    So - as I understand it - I have broadband coming from the socket in the wall, reaching the router and then "splitting" into two paths. Firstly, there's the wired connection to my PC (through the router) and, secondly, there's the WiFi network from my router to the various peripherals that connect to the broadband through the router.

It's not really splitting, but yes, that's how it is. Your router regulates your connection; directly, with a cable, or via the wireless, depending on what device connects to your router. Your setup is done very well!
    Kazoo
  3. Cheers, Bregt. I probably hadn't seen that the desktop was connected (not physically, I knew it was wired!) directly and not through the wireless network.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Things are not as simple as I first thought!

When I log off and then log back on I seem to have as default my desktop connecting to the internet through both the Wireless Network Connection and the Local Area Connection. The result is that I have my desktop PC connecting through "multiple networks".

I need to find a way to stop the wireless connection connecting when each user logs on. But I can't delete the wireless connection or I'll disable access of everything else that uses the WiFi connection.

I may have to sleep on this... sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    Google Chrome came to the rescue and my facebook is working with it. This is a much better browser than IE which I will get rid of. I could always reinstall it if necessary.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010
    Can't believe I waited so long to start with Chrome
  5. It's funny, but I've stopped using it. The way that Google embeds its updater into your PC's innards and making it so difficult to control yourself has put me off with Google.

Maybe it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things but I'm sure that somewhere it could be classified as some sort of spyware?

I've gone back to using Opera.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2010
    so far there has been no problem for me. But would you like me to write pages about IE????
  6. I have a couple of questions:

1. Probably aimed to Erik: I found the AudioShell ID3 tagger to be one of the greatest little apps recommended anywhere and I found it really useful. I'm wanting to add it again now that I have Windows 7. Anyone have any experience with this little app and Windows 7? It doesn't say that it's compatible.

2. I found the Windows Media Encoder 9 really useful for recording music in real time off my PC (old TV theme tunes off YouTube, etc). Microsoft is phasing this out and trying to get people to use something called Expression Encoder 4 that seems to be the recommended alternative. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Cheers.
  7. Alan, try the ID3 tagger, it may actually work quite well on Win7. If it doesn't crash, then it should, I'd say. It's not an app that uses some video stuff or something, so I think backward compatibility should apply.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010 edited
    Music files won't play in any media player...what the hell? confused angry

Edit: I've had it with computers. My main one breaks and I can't get video output, and now my old one I'm using just loses audio. Fucks sake. angry angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010
    yikes
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010 edited
    Hi, its me again, the shameless linux promoter smile hehe... seriously though, try this out. Its really cool, I mean that.

"Install your favorite Linux operating system on a flash drive or USB key no larger than your thumb. Your Portable Linux operating system can then be run from any computer that can boot from a USB flash device, allowing you to bring your entire operating system, desktop, applications, files, email, personal settings, favorites, games and more with you. It’s your own personal operating system you can carry in your pocket!"

So how it works; get a USB stick (1 or 2GB or so at least) but first have a look at this nice youtube clip, explaining it very clearly step by step: Here is a nice youtube clip explaining it step by step:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVCxkbZnEgA

1) Download a linux version (distro) I recommend:

For newbies: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Linux Mint. Very easy to navigate, sleek and a great community. It has all the codecs preinstalled. So you can play multimedia stuff right away.

For a bit more advanced users: http://crunchbanglinux.org/

Very very fast! Very basic and minimalistic approach, yet still very good looking. I use this distro currently. SPEED MONSTER.

Basically, you just download on of these ISO files onto your harddrive, you need this later so it can be installed on your USB stick. Then...

2) Download this nifty little program... install it on your Windows machine... follow the super easy instructions and you too will have your own portable linux OS in your pocket, literally! Installing to the USB will take only 10 minutes or so.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- … -as-1-2-3/

Keep in mind, if you get any message that will allow you to choose "persistant" choose it. It means that all changes you make of your linux OS will be saved onto the USB, and any changes will still be there when you use it next time. So you can tweak it to your liking, and save documents/music and whatever on it.

So now... after you have made this USB and all is done. Put in this USB in your pc/laptop/netbook - reboot - and choose the boot option (mostly you can enter the boot option by pressing F9 or F12 or so) Choose boot from USB.. and that's it. It will boot now directly from USB, booting will take about 1 to 2 minutes only and then you will be runniing your own linux OS from a tiny USB stick. I personally think its fantastic! Its speedy, handy and just cool. Take care to let the pc/netbook/laptop completely shutdown after logging out, and not taking the USB out when its still shutting down... otherwise you might corrupt the USB data. It makes sense.

Would love to hear someone who tried this... it can't hurt to try. Cause you can just delete this stuff of your USB and use it for other stuff again. Take note, that... if you like it, there will be an option to" install linux onto your machine" DON'T CLICK THIS OPTION if you don't want to install it onto your windows machine. Use with common sense. Have fun!
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Myeah, see, the thing with this is that it's really nothing special.
    There are mini Windows XP installations doing the exact same thing (I used both at times, by the way, mainly for recovery purposes. And I'll be happy to immediately admit the idea was first coined and executed in Linux).

The main question is: what do you use this for?
    It's really only useful if you have your very own tweaked Linux installations with all sorts of applications you wouldn't be able to emulate anywhere else. And how often does that happen? (In my eleven years in IT I never really had that problem!)
    Otherwise you'd be just as well off just carrying around a stick with a copy of all your documents.

So, it's kinda neat, certainly.
    But really of limited practical use, I think.

But maybe someone here has some ideas on how this could be employed more practically?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Martijn wrote
    Myeah, see, the thing with this is that it's really nothing special.
    There are mini Windows XP installations doing the exact same thing (I used both at times, by the way, mainly for recovery purposes. And I'll be happy to immediately admit the idea was first coined and executed in Linux).

The main question is: what do you use this for?
    It's really only useful if you have your very own tweaked Linux installations with all sorts of applications you wouldn't be able to emulate anywhere else. And how often does that happen? (In my eleven years in IT I never really had that problem!)
    Otherwise you'd be just as well off just carrying around a stick with a copy of all your documents.

So, it's kinda neat, certainly.
    But really of limited practical use, I think.

But maybe someone here has some ideas on how this could be employed more practically?

Ok, I don't use it that often, but I do carry a tiny USB stick in my wallet at all times. Sometimes I have to help people to buy a netbook or something. If they like to install linux on it, I will pop in the USB first to see if its compatible. I also know people who want to absolutely sure that they will not get virusses when surfing, so they prefer surfing from USB. To be honest I also use it to show off linux stuff when visiting people (if they show interest)... cause if I tweaked it nicely and topped it off with for example all kinds of nice Compiz Fusion effects (kind of hyper aero effects)... they often get interested to know more about this alternative OS. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010
    Hee hee. biggrin

Fair enough.
    All very valid reasons.

Well, just having entered a world of pain by trying to re-install my old laptop, I am now finally considering turning it into a Linux machine to experiment on how far I can take it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    If its a really old thing... try Crunchbang linux! FAST, very good for older stuff. Only 78 MB ram when idling.

What I like about Crunchbang linux, besides is speed, its a handy feature; there is no special menu/start bar... everything is directly accessable by right clicking the mouse. It makes this distro very sleek, and minimalistic. (what I like, but it might not be your taste)

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

Another good option is linux mint. www.linuxmint.com

Oh yeah, installing from USB to harddrive is also faster than from CD of course.

Any questions, please ask. smile Doei!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's not that old, really (6 years): it can handle XP without any pain, so I lean towards Mint (if only because I'm rather more baroque inclined than minimalist wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    smile...

I use linuxmint on a 5 year old laptop and it flies. I would say, go for the linuxmint then. (gnome version)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    You can also embellish it with fancy effects.. (it comes standard, just need to activate it)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ....errrr... "gnome"? confused
    You just lost me... dizzy

EDIT: never mind. Just found that that's the standard version. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    That's right, the standard version... :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Winxp would kill to be as fast and reliable and care-free as linux. Listen to talos, if you have the time and / or perhaps an extra pc to try them out.