• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2008
    I just found this composer's name in the strangest place possible...

the additional orchestrators of Kung Fu Panda confused
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wtf? Is there anyone who DIDN'T orchestrate something in KUNG FU PANDA?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. No Jane - don't be swallowed whole by that hydra-headed beast!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Apparently, when it comes to Hanzi and the troops, resistance is futile. wink
  2. Others - and lesser composers to boot - have resisted carrying coffee through those studios... You'd think Cornish has good enough calling cards to get her own work on British films, but maybe being a woman is an extra hurdle in the very masculine American film-scoring environment. (Isn't it interesting that most of the 'name' female composers who work on major films come from the UK - Rachel Portman, Debbie Wiseman, Jane Cornish, Jocelyn Pook. In America only Deborah Lurie - who isn't exactly scoring major films - and the late Shirley Walker come to mind.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Apparently, when it comes to Hanzi and the troops, resistance is futile. wink

Seems they need all the help they can get?

rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Others - and lesser composers to boot - have resisted carrying coffee through those studios... You'd think Cornish has good enough calling cards to get her own work on British films, but maybe being a woman is an extra hurdle in the very masculine American film-scoring environment. (Isn't it interesting that most of the 'name' female composers who work on major films come from the UK - Rachel Portman, Debbie Wiseman, Jane Cornish, Jocelyn Pook. In America only Deborah Lurie - who isn't exactly scoring major films - and the late Shirley Walker come to mind.)

Very good point.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    franz_conrad wrote
    No Jane - don't be swallowed whole by that hydra-headed beast!

I think she's only working for John Powell. IMDB has her listed as orchestrator for Hancock too. I hope her orchestrating duties won't turn her into another RC clone... wink
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I hope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Think of it positively...she obviously knows how to write for orchestra, given "Island of Lost Souls" as an example...if she can skillfully combine that with the crowd-pleasing tricks she can pick up from working with Powell and the RC guys...she could be a positively AMAZING composer one day.
  3. I'd say her musicianship is at a level where she understands very well how to please a crowd. One of the virtues of ISLAND OF LOST SOULS was its ability to please a crowd that generally goes unpleased. I wonder whether she will learn from Powell how to write a romantic comedy theme for piano and strings... or how to write the same anonymous part for two harps instead of one so that there will be a stereo effect... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Matt C wrote
    I think she's only working for John Powell.

Well if there were one RC/ex-MV composer I'd wish her to emulate, it would be him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Think of it positively...she obviously knows how to write for orchestra, given "Island of Lost Souls" as an example...if she can skillfully combine that with the crowd-pleasing tricks she can pick up from working with Powell and the RC guys...she could be a positively AMAZING composer one day.

"pleasing tricks" or bad habits?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    She can skip the bad habit parts, I'm sure she's smart enough to tell the difference wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    Matt C wrote
    I think she's only working for John Powell.

Yup you're right. She also did orchestration on Horton too. wink
  4. Great composer, I wrote her once about the score for Island Of Lost Souls, she was very nice and I also asked about her score for "Five Children And It" if will be released some time but she was doubtful.

She's also a beautiful girl... JANE ANTONIA CORNISH rolleyes
    so many scores... and not enough time... | http://soundtracklist.net
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2008
    I just spent $53 to order "Island of Lost Souls"...I hope it is worth it smile
    If nothing else it should become a collector's item smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    Scribe wrote

I was considering doing the same, then I figured it wasn't worth that much. It's a good score, but not that good.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Scribe wrote

I was considering doing the same, then I figured it wasn't worth that much. It's a good score, but not that good.

Ant, is your holiday that boring that you have to return to this board so soon? dizzy wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Scribe wrote

Ant, is your holiday that boring that you have to return to this board so soon? dizzy wink

I have free internet at the hotel. I've got very bad jet lag. It's 2am. What else do you want me to do? tongue biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Scribe wrote

I have free internet at the hotel. I've got very bad jet lag. It's 2am. What else do you want me to do? tongue biggrin

Multiple somersaults down hotel carpets that make you electrified!?

wink Fair nuff pal cool
  5. Melatonin. Reportedly works wonders, Anthony
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2008
    ISLAND OF THE LOST SOULS showed a remarkably able composer and a surprisingly bold and muscular (no puns intended) sound long-gone in the area. I really hope she knows better than to turn into another RC spin-off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    ISLAND OF THE LOST SOULS showed a remarkably able composer and a surprisingly bold and muscular (no puns intended) sound long-gone in the area. I really hope she knows better than to turn into another RC spin-off.

I don't think you have to worry about that. The woman needs work and doing some orchestrations puts food on the table. And if there is any of the RC composers to work with then it is John Powell. Plus, she has worked with the likes of Danny Elfman on Big Fish...

Anyway, she is just getting started... and if you listen to the other samples on her site... Solstice for example sounds nothing like RC... and 5 Children and It has a Harry Potter vibe to it... far from the generic and uninspired sounds of most RC composers.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Judging from the way Kung Fu Panda turned out, it seemed that Cornish only orchestrated Powell's material... and believe me, Powell's cues has her stamp all over it.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Anyway, she is just getting started... and if you listen to the other samples on her site... Solstice for example sounds nothing like RC... and 5 Children and It has a Harry Potter vibe to it... far from the generic and uninspired sounds of most RC composers.

-Erik-

Those are unreleased, right? "Opening Titles" from SOLSTICE has a distinct JNH vibe to it and it's a very impressive piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    There are unreleased but I have all the clips from her website saved to my computer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    Wanna share? angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    On a second thought, how did you do thaT? Did you play them all at least once and later found them in your temporary internet files folders?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008
    No, actually, I didn't play any of them. I clicked play, but I have everything on mute except my music player which skips windows sound mixing. All you have to do for your computer to download a streaming media clip is wait for it to cache the whole thing, which if you have a decent connection usually only takes a few seconds. Once a website loads any particular type of media (assuming it is a normal website and not using some weird proprietary format) it is automatically saved in your browser's cache. Then all you have to do is sort your browser's cache folder by file date and look for a recent file that looks about the size of a music file. Then just copy the file somewhere and rename it to whatever.mp3 (assuming it is an mp3, which most streaming music probably is.

I don't see how that can be illegal considering that #1) the site is downloading the file to your computer, not you, and #2) you are not accepting any sort of legal agreement by entering that website and allowing it to download to your computer.