• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008 edited
    So, let's imagine we could go back in time and change the course of film music history where we'd be given the ability to assign a composer of our choice to a project, no matter the timeline. That is to say you could attach Jerry Goldsmith to Iron Man (2008) for example. Also, do please explain the reasons behind each preference.

So, what would your choices be?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008
    My first name will be - John WIlliams for Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix wink
  1. James Newton Howard - The Lord of the Rings
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Barry - The Da Vinci Code
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Don't kill me, but...

Hans Zimmer - Amistad

John Barry - Pearl Harbor

Jerry Goldsmith - The Peacemaker
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Don't kill me, but...

Hans Zimmer - Amistad

Agree.

Agree.

Agree.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Don't kill me, but...

Hans Zimmer - Amistad

But I thought John Barry DID do Pearl Harbor?.....at least, the good parts biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. The similar parts were the reason why I would get Barry for Pearl Harbor and Goldsmith for Peacemaker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    If I could play God I would assign Hans and the MV folks to only the small (drama/comedy) films and perhaps the occasional Bollywood where they can go over the top and be formulaic as much as they want.

John Scott - Gladiator
    Bruce Broughton - Pirates of Caribbean
    Marco Frisina - Passion of the Christ
    George Fenton - Titanic
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2008
    BhelPuri wrote
    If I could play God I would assign Hans and the MV folks to only the small (drama/comedy) films and perhaps the occasional Bollywood where they can go over the top and be formulaic as much as they want.

Believe me, if Zimmer composed for songs here he'd become the #1 composer of Bollywood overnight and sweep every single award there is here! wink biggrin

I feel... James Newton Howard - Pearl Harbor. Zimmer's score was nice but I feel JNH could've done a better job here.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

Believe me, if Zimmer composed for songs here he'd become the #1 composer of Bollywood overnight and sweep every single award there is here! wink biggrin

I feel... James Newton Howard - Pearl Harbor. Zimmer's score was nice but I feel JNH could've done a better job here.

To be honest it would've been better if no one had made such crap in the first place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    To be honest it would've been better if no one had made such crap in the first place.

Really, yeah. But some such crap films have great scores! wink
  4. Danny Elfman - Dark Water
    Hans Zimmer - Red Eye (didn't see the movie, but the story shows some possibilites)
    James Newton Howard - Iron Man
    Alfred Newman - Legends of the Fall (I LOVE Horner's score, but that story is VERY MUCH in his comfort zone)
    Bernard Herrmann - The Ring (I'm also a fan of Zimmer's work, would be great though)
    Bruce Broughton - Pirates of the Caribbean
    Thomas Newman - Weather Man
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote

Hans Zimmer - Red Eye (didn't see the movie, but the story shows some possibilites)

I've seen, it's completely Bull, Zimmer never scored something as ridiculously bad - yet wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. I have my own thread for this at MMUK:
    http://mmuk64.proboards42.com/index.cgi … amp;page=1
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote

Really, yeah. But some such crap films have great scores! wink

There are tons of crappy films with good scores!

Pearl Harbor could have been good if they'd spent more time on a decent script and less on wooden acting.
  6. And Zimmer had a bigger budget.

ANYWAY:

BAsed on the story purely and the fact that the director collaborated with the composer:

Danny Elfman - Hancock
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    And Zimmer had a bigger budget.

ANYWAY:

BAsed on the story purely and the fact that the director collaborated with the composer:

Danny Elfman - Hancock

"and Zimmer had a bigger budget" confused
  7. Pearl Harbor went really overboard with its budget. Zimmer was made sign a much lower contract (which means less money for the music too), because of that. Michael Bay cut on his own salary and the actors were told they would get paid when the movie pays off. Zimmer had a really small orchestra there. With complete lack of support from the producers (Zimmer says that he was watching and action movie, they told him to score a melodrama - he went against his instincts) and thorough hatred for the movie itself (once he remarked the dialogues are funnier than Shrek, Team America/South Park's Matt Stone and Trey Parker quote him recalling his reaction to reels sent to him: "You're not putting it in the movie, are you?"), he went in without inspiration which led to panic when three weeks before the deadline he admitted in an interview, he can't find the theme.

Theme there is, but due to that the orchestrations are completely messed up. In this situation Barry would have walked away somewhere before asking him if he doesn't get less money biggrin . Zimmer was hooked on the project with an exclusive trailer, which was the whole attack sequence in CGI with his own Journey to the Line put over it. It reportedly worked excellent.

That's what I know about the whole background. The action music was mostly done by Zanelli, Badelt and Jablonsky (and Jablonsky's best piece - Goliath - serves as the trailer music).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I see! Thanks Pawel smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I didn't knew that, thanks Pawel!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

"I didn't KNOW that"

Just thought I save you from the wrath of spelling master Steven, Bregt! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Huh?

I thought 'knew' was for past tense?
    Oh right, didn't...
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Huh?

I thought 'knew' was for past tense?
    Oh right, didn't...

I will expect a pint of beer for services rendered. I have saved you from Steven and all will be well wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

"I didn't KNOW that"

Just thought I save you from the wrath of spelling master Steven, Bregt! wink

I haz u no I'm relaxing mah habbitz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Most of this thread is yawner-riffic because anyone can post a list. What I'm interested in is WHY you think there should have been a different composer attached to the project. Why Jerry Goldsmith for Lost In Space instead of Bruce Broughton? What would the other composer have brought to the project that the other composer didn't, etc.

Right now the only one I can think of is Alan Silvestri for Pirates of the Carribean over Badelt/Zimmer. While the MV/RC sound worked for some of you, it's generic as all hell. At least Zimmer made a massive improvement for the last film but that film sucked donkey balls. I would have loved to have heard a classic, old fashioned, swashbuckler for the first Pirates with a sense of humor. I think it would make revisiting the film a bit more bearable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Right now the only one I can think of is Alan Silvestri for Pirates of the Carribean over Badelt/Zimmer. While the MV/RC sound worked for some of you, it's generic as all hell. At least Zimmer made a massive improvement for the last film but that film sucked donkey balls. I would have loved to have heard a classic, old fashioned, swashbuckler for the first Pirates with a sense of humor. I think it would make revisiting the film a bit more bearable.

-Erik-

If the POTC score by Silvestri was in BEOWULF / JUDGE DREDD paths, then i am sold too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I too agree that for this thread to be more interesting, people should also note reasons behind preference, it would make for such more fun a read!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008
    Michael Giacchino - 24

Because we all know what Sean Callery is going to pull out of the bag next season... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Michael Giacchino - 24

Because we all know what Sean Callery is going to pull out of the bag next season... rolleyes

No, we don´t tongue
    Callery´s score is part of "24". He has created a unique sound for the show; you can like it or not, but it´s part of the series now, and I think he should stay until the end.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you