• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Which Philharmonia? The London Philharmonia? Any particular reason/s why?

This Philharmonia. And I have several recordings by them and like them a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009
    Any particular facet of their performances that you prefer over other orchestras? I.e. what exactly makes them a particular favourite of yours? Is it what they play or how they play?

In all honesty, I find it nigh on impossible to discern between orchestras since there are just too many aspects to consider other than who performs what. There's the recording facilities to consider, the mix, the conductor, the orchestrations and of course the music itself. I'm interested to hear your thoughts?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Any particular facet of their performances that you prefer over other orchestras? I.e. what exactly makes them a particular favourite of yours? Is it what they play or how they play?

In all honesty, I find it nigh on impossible to discern between orchestras since there are just too many aspects to consider other than who performs what. There's the recording facilities to consider, the mix, the conductor, the orchestrations and of course the music itself. I'm interested to hear your thoughts?

Well, what they play has been very good, and how they play is exceptional. Plus they have a very strong horn section (something I look for, being a horn player myself), and a strong orchestra in general. Not to mention they have provided some of what I believe - and what many others also believe - to be the greatest recordings to date of certain works. And though I cannot pick out most orchestras by ear, I have heard some not-so-great and average ones, and this is definitely one of the better ones I've heard. Oh, and they have a cool name. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Ah, and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra also comes to mind when speaking of good orchestras. I have multiple recordings of them and they never fail to disappoint; plus the trumpets absolutely blow me away with their clarity of sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well yes, there are some very average orchestras out there. wink

But once you get to the professional level of the LSO and, of course, the Philharmonia, it's almost impossible to tell them apart. For me, when talking only about these top orchestras, it's really only their pedigree that tends to sway my opinion. That's why the LSO is one of my favourite orchestras even though I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell in being able to tell the difference between the LSO or another equally talented orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    William wrote
    Ah, and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra also comes to mind when speaking of good orchestras. I have multiple recordings of them and they never fail to disappoint; plus the trumpets absolutely blow me away with their clarity of sound.

They should put this on their website.

"The Royal Scottish National Orchestra: They never fail to disappoint"
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Southall wrote
    William wrote

They should put this on their website.

"The Royal Scottish National Orchestra: They never fail to disappoint"

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    Well yes, there are some very average orchestras out there. wink

But once you get to the professional level of the LSO and, of course, the Philharmonia, it's almost impossible to tell them apart. For me, when talking only about these top orchestras, it's really only their pedigree that tends to sway my opinion. That's why the LSO is one of my favourite orchestras even though I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell in being able to tell the difference between the LSO or another equally talented orchestra.

I also cite the LSO as being a favorite of mine. And for film music, in addition to the LSO, the Hollywood Studio Symphony, which is one of the greatest I've ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What exactly is the difference between the Philharmonia and Philharmonic?
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Where they perform?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Are some of the members the same?
  2. Not sure, it may be a completely different ensemble. I wonder how it connects to the Zimmer ensemble he gets for his London-recorded scores. He picks the best players from all London orchestras, so for example on Gladiator he had Maurice Murphy, LSO's trumpeteer who among others performed on all Star Wars scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I wonder if it is like The Hollywood Studio Symphony.
  3. If they have albums of classical music then no, they aren't a group of session players.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not sure, it may be a completely different ensemble. I wonder how it connects to the Zimmer ensemble he gets for his London-recorded scores. He picks the best players from all London orchestras, so for example on Gladiator he had Maurice Murphy, LSO's trumpeteer who among others performed on all Star Wars scores.

I wonder if John Williams got the similar mixed ensemble whenever he records in London and doesn't feel like using the LSO. I thought for sure Williams used the LSO for the first and third Harry Potter films, until Erik was kind enough to point out my mistake.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I thought the first three Indy scores were LSO. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    PawelStroinski wrote
    If they have albums of classical music then no, they aren't a group of session players.

They are a regular orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2009
    This always intrigued me.
    What is the difference between a symphonic orchestra and a philharmonic orchestra?
    Is there a difference at all (in terms of number of players, instruments, etc,.), or it's basicly two distinct meanings for the same thing (orchestra)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2009 edited
    NunoM wrote
    What is the difference between a symphonic orchestra and a philharmonic orchestra?
    Is there a difference at all (in terms of number of players, instruments, etc,.), or it's basicly two distinct meanings for the same thing (orchestra)?

I'm pretty sure they're both the same kind of orchestra; the two names are merely ways to distinguish between two orchestras. For example, there's the London Symphony and the London Philharmonic, two completely different orchestras based in the same city, so they are differentiated by their names.
  4. NunoM wrote

I think that the Philharmonic orchestra is connected to a building, more so than a Symphony Orchestra. When it comes to the ensemble, yes it's the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009
    I don't think there is any difference between a philharmonic, philharmonia, symphony.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    I don't think there is any difference between a philharmonic, philharmonia, symphony.

Neither do I.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009
    William? What is the version of the Mahler symphonies you've been listening to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    William? What is the version of the Mahler symphonies you've been listening to.

I've been listening the recent releases with the London Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Valery Gergiev.

http://lso.co.uk/buyrecordings/mahler
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Are you familiar with the Penguin guide?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    Are you familiar with the Penguin guide?

I am not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What's penguins got to do with orchestras? You're loosing grip on reality, Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    What's penguins got to do with orchestras? You're loosing grip on reality, Tom.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Just purchased a recording of the Philharmonia performing two works by (Richard) Strauss; excellent stuff! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2009
    For your information William the recommended recording for the Mahler 1st symphony is still the 1964 version with the London Symphony Orchestra, Solti conducting. **** recordings are rare from Penguin but this is one.
    Thomas smile