• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    There is no difference Steven although the court in CA. has said you can make a copy for a backup/personal use.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    James you just pushed a button in me, yikes. You mean to tell me that if I buy three copies of Invader from Mars from Intrada at regular price and then turn around and sell them for $5.00 more each plus shipping I don't deserve the $15.00? Why? The artist has been paid already and the record label has made their profit. These e-bay people are living a dream of being in business for themselves (a whole new topic).

No, I agree with you, you do deserve that. It's a free market and market forces dictate the price on the second-hand market - as with anything in life, if someone is willing to pay X for something then you're well within your rights to sell it for anything up to and including X!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The other point was stupid and I shouldn't have said it
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    There is no difference Steven although the court in CA. has said you can make a copy for a backup/personal use.
    Thomas smile

Thinking about it, perhaps there is a difference. Uploading music has, in a legal sense, a different purpose than that of a buyer who let's his friend borrow the CD as he is not the one who is copying the music. Indeed, the person who buys the CD and then uploads it is deliberately sharing that music with as wide an audience as possible. So perhaps a court would view the two things differently?

Is it okay to let someone copy a CD from a friend who bought that CD? If it is, is it equally legitimate to let the person who copied the files then share them with another person? And then that person with another and so on and so on.

I've kind of argued my own point here, but I personally don't see a distinction (in moral terms) between the two, but perhaps a court of law would (certainly in legal terms).
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    ... how guilty would you feel if your friend bought a CD, let you borrow it, you ripped it onto your hard drive, and then gave it back? Is that any different to downloading it from the web if we assume that the uploaded music was originally legally purchased by the uploader? (Which in many cases is true.)

I don't feel nearly as guilty for doing that, although, as you have pointed out, it's basically the exact same thing.
  1. As far as I understand it you are allowed to make a copy of a CD you have purchased - and keep. If you subsequently sell the CD you should also delete the copy you have. And if the copy you have made of the CD is from a CD you borrowed from a friend then it's just the same as illegally downloading it from the 'net - you never purchased the music originally and therefpre you do not have the right to own a copy of the music in any form.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    Alan is correct as far as I know.

Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorWyatt
    Weren't the poor people in the Robin Hood story unjustly taxed and given bad pay and that's why he steals from the rich? Not just because they have no money? (sorry if this seems a little off from the downloading thing, but it has to do with my answer)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The title isn't meant to be taken too seriously and simply taken in the context of the famous "steal from the rich" quote, nothing more. I thought it'd be safer to name it anything but "Illegal File Sharing".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's part of the modern myth, though it's worth noting that this also entails the fact that it was the Saxons that were overtaxed by the "evil" Normans, so there's a strong nationalist element in there as well.

(While there is no academic consent, the message we get from the earliest ballads though is the Robin was just another outlaw. Rather more Dick Turpin-ish than a do-gooder).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Alan is correct as far as I know.

Thomas smile

For countries under Common Law he is... smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    That's part of the modern myth, though it's worth noting that this also entails the fact that it was the Saxons that were overtaxed by the "evil" Normans, so there's a strong nationalist element in there as well.

(While there is no academic consent, the message we get from the earliest ballads though is the Robin was just another outlaw. Rather more Dick Turpin-ish than a do-gooder).

That's cool, but...I...don't...really....care....I just....had to....name... it....something else. dizzy

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just answering Wyatt's question, Steven.
    You're not properly surprised people here tend to go off on a tangent, are you? confused You're growing old, me old son...

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh, my bad! Sorry. shame

Me, growing old? I certainly hope so! Young people these days are hard to please! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    <epic voice> Then let it be known throughout the land that henceforth and forever Young Master Steven shall now be know as... Old Fuzzyduddy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    Oh, my bad! Sorry. shame

Me, growing old? I certainly hope so! Young people these days are hard to please! biggrin

LOL biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    <epic voice> Then let it be known throughout the land that henceforth and forever Young Master Steven shall now be know as... Old Fuzzyduddy.

I imagine this said in a James Earl Jones voce wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, no, no! One of the Golden Age epic voices.
    Laurence Olivier. Finlay Currie. Orson Welles.
    That sorta thing.
  2. How can the CD companies count people who download as a lost revenue, who wouldn't buy the CDs in the first place anyway?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...and that's just one of the many major discrepancies in their reasoning and calculations.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    While this is a slightly different case, I totally agree with this guy (Bill Thompson):

"Like almost every technically-competent internet user of my acquaintance I've used BitTorrent to get my hands on a copy of a TV show that I missed, taking advantage of the kindness of strangers who bothered to record and upload the shows for fans because the companies that make and broadcast them choose not to.

However I also go out and buy the DVD box sets as soon as I can.

And I don't feel like a criminal, because I don't see why downloading a copy of a show that someone else has recorded should be seen as a breach of copyright while recording it myself onto a DVD is not. "
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008 edited
    I guess i am a highly immoral person now that i don't feel like i have anything to say on the topic's subject? Oh my Ceiling Cat, i am Doomed aren't I?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008
    It's not Ceiling Cat you have to worry about, it's Basement Cat that has your number! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008 edited
    Ha! I am positively sure he has yours as well tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh I don't doubt it. As I've promised Timmer on many occasion, we're gonna meet up by the unreachabley high cupcake table in LolHell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer? Why is the basement cat after Timmer as well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mutual lack of lolfaith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh! I know: for not signing up on Facebook, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    For doubting the power and glory of the Maker.