• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2008
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Was Playing: Gigli - John Powell
    It amazes me how Powell can take what might seem like the most uninteresting project and create and create an extremely pleasant score out of it. I don't think there is a single Powell score I DON'T like. I can't even say that about JNH or Zimmer.

Same here. His scores for this, and P.S. I LOVE YOU are two very dear listens for me; exceptional music and yeah it is really beyond logic how the hell he comes up with gorgeous stuff like that for the utter crap those movies are.

I wonder if when he is writing the music for films like this, he is consciously aware of the silliness of what he scoring, or whether he has to trick himself into feeling the same passion his music conveys.

I think he's a passionate person enough to drift into the dear persons he loves in his life and not pay any attention to the silliness than is on screen. Music that reflects his own strong emotions of love and passion for his loved one(s) is the only possible scenario i can come up with.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

I wonder if when he is writing the music for films like this, he is consciously aware of the silliness of what he scoring, or whether he has to trick himself into feeling the same passion his music conveys.

I think he's a passionate person enough to drift into the dear persons he loves in his life and not pay any attention to the silliness than is on screen. Music that reflects his own strong emotions of love and passion for his loved one(s) is the only possible scenario i can come up with.

Makes sense smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: 4 MUSKETEERS...Lalo Schifrin

How many times has the Three Musketeers been made.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote
    It amazes me how Powell can take what might seem like the most uninteresting project and create and create an extremely pleasant score out of it. I don't think there is a single Powell score I DON'T like. I can't even say that about JNH or Zimmer.

Same here. His scores for this, and P.S. I LOVE YOU are two very dear listens for me; exceptional music and yeah it is really beyond logic how the hell he comes up with gorgeous stuff like that for the utter crap those movies are.

I think he's a passionate person enough to drift into the dear persons he loves in his life

That´s totally true, for what I saw in Úbeda last year with his son.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    NP: 4 MUSKETEERS...Lalo Schifrin

How many times has the Three Musketeers been made.
    Thomas smile

I'm not sure Tom but that's the only 4 MUSKETEERS as far as I know? wink

Both Schifrin's and Legrand's scores are excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

I think he's a passionate person enough to drift into the dear persons he loves in his life

That´s totally true, for what I saw in Úbeda last year with his son.

All I saw was that his son cannot decide what he would like to drink for the life of him, and John Powell doesn't have to queue to go to the toilet like the rest of us. dizzy biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DAYS OF HEAVEN - Ennio Morricone

What an excellent score and an excellent CD as it's paired with the superb Two Mules For Sister Sara cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: El Cid - Miklós Rózsa

First Listen. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008
    NP: Matchstick Men - Hans Zimmer

One of my favorite Zimmer score. Quirky, breezy, carefree. The work of the Gotan Project has greatly influenced some of the sound and tracks on this album, especially "Weird Is Good", which clearly has roots in "Santa Maria" from their "La Revancha Del Tango" album. But that's like 5% of the score, really. Good album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008
    lp wrote

One of my favorite Zimmer score. Quirky, breezy, carefree. The work of the Gotan Project has greatly influenced some of the sound and tracks on this album, especially "Weird Is Good", which clearly has roots in "Santa Maria" from their "La Revancha Del Tango" album. But that's like 5% of the score, really. Good album.

Love it, great listening experience, laid-back stuff. While not entirely similar, i thought it was in the same vein with the equally good - imo, WEATHER MAN score by ZImmer which is also a frequently visited, chill-out listening experience for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Love it, great listening experience, laid-back stuff. While not entirely similar, i thought it was in the same vein with the equally good - imo, WEATHER MAN score by ZImmer which is also a frequently visited, chill-out listening experience for me.

The Weather Man score and I are still a bit further apart than I'd like. I'll listen to it again.

NP : Weather Man - Hans Zimmer & James S Levine

It's all electronica, which can be a trying experience, especially when you're listening to the complete score. The theme in "Monochrome" is quite good. There's a slight hypnotic and surrealist quality to the sound design of co-composer James S Levine's work on Nip/Tuck, which is a score you should seek out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008
    I'm listening to the Fellowship of the Ring - complete recordings... I enjoy it once in a while because it's like floating along the trilogy instead of going from highlight to highlight like with the regular releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm almost done reading this topic (about 850 posts since I left) and I want to hear more Eidelman! And I should revisit Delerue it seems. :/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote

One of his best scores, IMHO. I mean...the arrengements ( He is credited as arranger) are terrific. A very colorful and busy score.

NP:South Park the movie

The songs are so fu_king Funny and addictive!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have you seen the movie as well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Have you seen the movie as well?

Of course! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STEAMBOY - Steve Jablonsky

Melodic, not bad! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    One of his best scores, IMHO. I mean...the arrengements ( He is credited as arranger) are terrific. A very colorful and busy score.

NP:South Park the movie

The songs are so fu_king Funny and addictive!!!

Do you mean that they're UncleF*cking funny? wink

With regard to Matchstick Men, it's very colorful indeedy. You clearly hear that he had fun working on it. Too bad about the movie though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008 edited
    NP: El Cid- Miklos Rozsa

Second listen. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

Fantastic stuff.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BEYOND BORDERS - James Horner

Still not sure about this one slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote

I think it has a lovely theme, best demonstrated in the opening and closing tracks but other than that, I've never really had much passion for this one either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

I love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I love it!

Well, I certainly don't dislike it! And it has it's moments, I'll be giving it another play soon ( with me, that's quite a good sign ).

NP : THE IPCRESS FILE - John Barry

I love this! cool

Perfect for this rainy evening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CRAIG ARMSTRONG - moulin rouge

Perfect stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

I love it!

Well, I certainly don't dislike it! And it has it's moments, I'll be giving it another play soon ( with me, that's quite a good sign ).

It took a bit of getting used to, but I ended up thinking it was Horner's finest album in a few years (until The New World came along).

NP: 100 Rifles - Jerry Goldsmith

They don't write them like this any more! Great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    NP: 100 Rifles - Jerry Goldsmith

They don't write them like this any more! Great score.

WOW, I'd forgotten just how GREAT this is! "Escape and Pursuit" is one of the top three most exciting pieces of action music I've ever heard.
  2. Earlier: Talk to Her (Alberto Iglesias)

Now: Amelie (Yann Tierssen)

Next: Pierrot le Fou (Antoine Duhamel)

The Europeans don't always do it better, but most of the time they do.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. biggrin

There is a question I can't really answer. I mean I get the conventional difference between Europe and Hollywood, but I really can't pinpoint its sources and what it really is.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008
    NP:Jason and the Argonauts( Herrman)

punk punk punk beer