• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Gladiator, dated synths? Man it was YOU who gave Marcel that bad shit to smoke, now i have no doubt!

biggrin

NP The Comebacks (Christopher Lennertz)

GIVE.THIS.GUY.A.BIG.PROJECT.TO.SCORE. NOW!

This is the score to the baseball movie right? If so, TOTALLY agree with you. punk

Yes , the baseball movie. Such a talented composer wasted in B movies / comedies angry
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2008 edited
    David wrote
    I believe they talk about this in that FSM podcast on borrowing from other composers.

Which one is that? (ie: date)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    LSH wrote
    David wrote
    I believe they talk about this in that FSM podcast on borrowing from other composers.

Which one is that? (ie: date)

I think it was this one: http://fsmpodcast.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=138953

I know it's in one of the FSM podcasts if not this one as I remember them playing it on the piano to show the similarities between the themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Well it wasn't in that one but it was still an interesting listen. I don't think I ever caught that podcast. Cheers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    LSH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: Hidalgo - James Newton Howard

Wow, I haven't listened to this one in at least... a day. So good to hear this sort of thing from Howard, a great blend of Western and Eastern sounds. The two finale cues are still some of my favourites from JNH. Montage is a good cue also.

cool

I like the Braveheart rip biggrin

confused

Yeah! confused Braveheart? I hear Lord of the Rings in "The Final Three" but Braveheart?

-Erik-

If i find the time i'll do an entry for the copy and paste thread but if i recall correctly, i already did it in scorereviews.

[edit]

i found it, me playing the piano heh

1) hidalgo
    2) braveheart
    3) mixed together (braveheart and hidalgo)

http://users.auth.gr/dichrist/2brave4hidago.mp3
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Martijn wrote
    Doctor Who "Children In Need" Cardiff Millennium Arena Concert (2006) - Murray Gold

Excellent registration with full-bodied, spirited performances. Mostly material is available on the CDs, but some extra material thrown in for good measure. Every participant really give it their all, and the sound registration and orchestral quality are superb. Far better than the 2008 Albert Hall concert.

Although a lot of this is available on CD, as you say, some of the performances at this concert were much better. I just wish that there was a CD-quality version available.

I'm glad that I didn't go to the RAH concert - I've listened to some of the "classical" pieces and they just made the whole thing quite disjointed. I can't believe that the youngsters who did go to the concert didn't get bored at some point.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Christodoulides wrote
    David wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    LSH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: Hidalgo - James Newton Howard

Wow, I haven't listened to this one in at least... a day. So good to hear this sort of thing from Howard, a great blend of Western and Eastern sounds. The two finale cues are still some of my favourites from JNH. Montage is a good cue also.

cool

I like the Braveheart rip biggrin

confused

Yeah! confused Braveheart? I hear Lord of the Rings in "The Final Three" but Braveheart?

-Erik-

If i find the time i'll do an entry for the copy and paste thread but if i recall correctly, i already did it in scorereviews.

[edit]

i found it, me playing the piano heh

1) hidalgo
    2) braveheart
    3) mixed together (braveheart and hidalgo)

http://users.auth.gr/dichrist/2brave4hidago.mp3

Haha, I thought I remembered it from an FSM podcast, when I actually remember it from my lurking days at ScoreReviews! biggrin

beer
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Gladiator, dated synths? Man it was YOU who gave Marcel that bad shit to smoke, now i have no doubt!

biggrin

NP The Comebacks (Christopher Lennertz)

GIVE.THIS.GUY.A.BIG.PROJECT.TO.SCORE. NOW!

This is the score to the baseball movie right? If so, TOTALLY agree with you. punk

Yes , the baseball movie. Such a talented composer wasted in B movies / comedies angry

It is a football movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

One of my most favourite epic scores ever! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Martijn wrote
    Doctor Who "Children In Need" Cardiff Millennium Arena Concert (2006) - Murray Gold

Were you watching the video or is there a CD/DVD available?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

During 10 days of training course at a museum, I don't have much time for listening to music... today is off, so I decided to play The Last Samurai, which I got last month.

As a Japanese, listening to this score is very interesting. But I'm not an expert on Japanese music (or any other music), so this opinion is simply based on what I felt while listening...

I think Japanese instruments such as Koto and Shakuhachi (and many others I guess) are used effectively without going cheesy. But the themes sound rather very Zimmerish than Japanese. I mean it's good. I'm glad he didn't compose cheesy "Japanese" music Hollywood tends to produce, or mix up with Chinese music (like Memoirs Of Geisha.... tongue )

As for Zimmer's action music, I usually prefer his 'fun' action writing (e.g. Pirates and Spirit) rather than serious ones (Gladiator action tracks never clicked me). But on this score I enjoyed action cues a bit more. But I couldn't help laughing when I heard "yeaaaaaah seyaaaaaaah" voices on Red Warrior... it sounds so ridiculous to me. rolleyes But I saw some Japanese people saying it's cool, so maybe it's just a matter of taste.

What I was impressed were quieter cues like A Small Measure Of Peace and A Hard Teacher. They're like catchier version of The Thin Red Line... I also liked epic sounds in A Way Of Life.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  2. You´re right. It´s the quiet moments of the score that really get me. How often I selected Track 4 as a standalone listen, I´ve no idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    ATLI ORVARSSON - Vantage Point

Been finding myself in the mood for this frequently this week.

Where is STEVEN btw?

He mentioned earlier this week that he had limited internet access. He'll be back properly soon. smile

I'm still here! wave

I'm without internet in my flat at the moment, and it's a mission to get to the library. We should get it sorted soon, I hate not having internets! angry

I haven't even had much time for music, so much stuff to sort out. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    NP : Dad - James Horner

My brother in law's father passed away just recently.
    And my friend lost his father last week. His father was also my school teacher and friend.
    When these sad times come along I often pull this beautiful little score out.
    I just watched the film again tonight after many years. Every time Horner's music comes into a scene I get choked up.
    No one can touch my emotional chords at times of sadness or grief like James Horner can.
    Dad, Field Of Dreams, Cocoon 1 & 2 just to name a few move and comfort me with their tender melancholic but beautiful chords and themes.
    Horner gets bagged for various things but I'm always greatful for his amazing sensitivity in scoring themes of sadness in his films. He always nails it!

Absolutely agree! One of the reasons why Horner is quite literally one of my heroes. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote
    NP : Dad - James Horner

My brother in law's father passed away just recently.
    And my friend lost his father last week. His father was also my school teacher and friend.
    When these sad times come along I often pull this beautiful little score out.
    I just watched the film again tonight after many years. Every time Horner's music comes into a scene I get choked up.
    No one can touch my emotional chords at times of sadness or grief like James Horner can.
    Dad, Field Of Dreams, Cocoon 1 & 2 just to name a few move and comfort me with their tender melancholic but beautiful chords and themes.
    Horner gets bagged for various things but I'm always greatful for his amazing sensitivity in scoring themes of sadness in his films. He always nails it!

Absolutely agree! One of the reasons why Horner is quite literally one of my heroes. beer

To our hero! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And to think i am actually unfamiliar with HORNER's score for DAD? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Christodoulides wrote

Well, if you take a theme used in his scores for A Far Off Place, Legends Of The Fall and even Field Of Dreams (briefly) and add to that some beautiful piano work mixed with the usual orchestations you'll get the picture. I love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Nothing new ( at least to you now ) but it's a lovely score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Beautiful piano? Lovely score? I am sold!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: I Am Legend - James Newton Howard

Chilling and haunting, The Pier is one hell of a cue!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

punk

The Pier is one of the most shocking pieces i've heard from JNH, ever. I never expected to hear such a piece (And score overall which is very good too, imo) for such a movie. Excellent work by JNH and a big surprise as well.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote

punk

The Pier is one of the most shocking pieces i've heard from JNH, ever. I never expected to hear such a piece (And score overall which is very good too, imo) for such a movie. Excellent work by JNH and a big surprise as well.

I need to hear this again. I borrowed it off a friend at Christmas, started listening to it but got distracted by something and did not return to it. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    All those synths......dated sound....oh oh. wink

listen Joyce's theme and Yakuza codex from the bootleg. No synths cheesy

Yummy stuff. Black Rain hold a special place in my heart, since I had to import the CD just for a 20 minute suite. The suite works really well though. Someone should release a complete score too. PLEASE?

Any one notice that a portion of Joyce's theme get reused in the suite for the Pirate Lord of Singapore? Very nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Sharkwater - Jeff Rona
    Rather droning as is apparently typical for Rona, but there is some very interesting ambient sound design going on. Good chilled-out background music.

Was Playing: Gigli - John Powell
    It amazes me how Powell can take what might seem like the most uninteresting project and create and create an extremely pleasant score out of it. I don't think there is a single Powell score I DON'T like. I can't even say that about JNH or Zimmer.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Scribe wrote
    I don't think there is a single Powell score I DON'T like.

Even Chill Factor? Jumper? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HULK - Danny Elfman

Not bad, not bad at all cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I don't think there is a single Powell score I DON'T like.

Even Chill Factor? Jumper? wink

Actually, these two are the only ones (D-Tox and Just Visiting too maybe) that I would say I don´t like.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Chill Factor I don't think has a commercial release, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Jumper is rather boring thematically but has enough interesting sound design and orchestration and other such things that I don't dislike it.

I don't have Just Visiting yet. Looking at amazon now I may NEVER have it...i should have bought it a year ago when it was only around $25. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    It amazes me how Powell can take what might seem like the most uninteresting project and create and create an extremely pleasant score out of it. I don't think there is a single Powell score I DON'T like. I can't even say that about JNH or Zimmer.

Same here. His scores for this, and P.S. I LOVE YOU are two very dear listens for me; exceptional music and yeah it is really beyond logic how the hell he comes up with gorgeous stuff like that for the utter crap those movies are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Scribe wrote

Same here. His scores for this, and P.S. I LOVE YOU are two very dear listens for me; exceptional music and yeah it is really beyond logic how the hell he comes up with gorgeous stuff like that for the utter crap those movies are.

I wonder if when he is writing the music for films like this, he is consciously aware of the silliness of what he scoring, or whether he has to trick himself into feeling the same passion his music conveys.