• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008
    Listen to it on CD if you want; maybe something might change? i'd never expect someone to express himself like that on the specific score; it's interesting and at the same time buffling to observe! smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008 edited
    Buffling? A baby buffalo? tongue

I have no interest in listening to this score. I've heard it in the film and that's enough for me. I might like it, but I doubt I'd return to it much... same goes for The American President which I do have on CD. Too sentimental for me. (Strange considering Shaiman's personality which I love.)

For over-sentimentality, I prefer it to come from Horner, Delerue or Poledouris. Shaiman is a fine composer, and an excellent song writer, but he doesn't quite have the depth of these three composers.
  1. Never thought something as simple as Patch Adams could cause a controversy. Yes it's overly sentimental but there's a place for any kind of music. I'd take it any day over some of the non-thematic crap composed these days.

NP: Star Wars - A New Hope (from the 4-disc Anthology set)

I got this for Thomas after recommendation on these forums, I bought it from the States, and I must say I am happy with what I'm hearing. I have the complete editions as well, but hearing it in a somewhat shortened form is equally fantastic!! I always loved the in-your-face sound of these recordings which sound so powerful compared to the new trilogy.

Now this is what I call film music!!!

punk punk punk punk punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Absolutely no argument from me Gilles! punk beer

NP : BASIC INSTINCT - Jerry Goldsmith

Class score to a naff film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Never thought something as simple as Patch Adams could cause a controversy.

There's controversy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mighty Joe Young James Horner

So typically post-90s Horner. And I bloody love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JUDGE DREDD - Alan Silvestri

Great score! Crap film!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Influenced by tonight's TV schedule by chance?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Influenced by tonight's TV schedule by chance?

shocked

I had no idea?

and i won't be watching it
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Deep Impact James Horner

Horner's music is a like a drug for me. I completely understand that a score like this may not be to everyone's' taste, but for me it's like returning to an old friend, the kind of thing I would listen to a lot when I first started getting into scores. Horner's music makes me feel comfortable and at ease. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Deep Impact James Horner

Horner's music is a like a drug for me. I completely understand that a score like this may not be to everyone's' taste, but for me it's like returning to an old friend, the kind of thing I would listen to a lot when I first started getting into scores. Horner's music makes me feel comfortable and at ease. smile

An underrated score IMO, very emotionally charged for a half decent film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The end track has some very powerful choral music, that one track alone is probably better than the rest of the score put together (whatever that means?) and is a top Horner favourite of mine! cheesy
  2. I think Drawing Straws must be one of the most dramatic tracks Horner ever composed. I rarely listen to the whole thing, but Drawing Straws gets a regular listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : COLD LAZARUS - Christopher Gunning

This is a great score. Goldsmith's 'The Mutant' from TOTAL RECALL is obviously the temp track but as far as I'm concerned that's a fantastic temp track to work from.
  3. Hm, I don´t know too much about Gunning... I have Fireplace, which is very nice and thematic. I´d recommend it to all fans of Alexandre Desplat´s quiet works... And Cold Lazarus sounds like something I should check out. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tours Du Monde Tours Du Ciel - Georges Delerue

Goodness me. Never listen to this if you have even the vaguest emotional fragility. I feel like bursting into tears myself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Hm, I don´t know too much about Gunning... I have Fireplace, which is very nice and thematic. I´d recommend it to all fans of Alexandre Desplat´s quiet works... And Cold Lazarus sounds like something I should check out. smile

You mean Firelight Ralph. Yes it's a lovely score and I can see why you'd recommend it to Desplat fans.

Cold Lazarus is paired with Karaoke, I seriously recommend it though I don't know how available it is now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    You mean Firelight

ARGH. Of course. Consider myself dizzy . Although it´s about light coming from a fireplace. tongue Nice movie, BTW, very straightforward without any complications at all, which was not what I expected. Recommended to all Sophie Marceau fans for... various reasons. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008
    Southall wrote

Goodness me. Never listen to this if you have even the vaguest emotional fragility. I feel like bursting into tears myself.

those words are an instant sell. where does one obtain this score?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    One doesn't.
    LONG out of print. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes, very sad too. Music like that simply must be heard by as many people as possible.

NP Sideways - Rolfe Kent

There are few modern film music albums I've listened to as often as this one. Wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Southall wrote
    NP Sideways - Rolfe Kent

There are few modern film music albums I've listened to as often as this one. Wonderful.

Glad to see there's more appreciation here for this score. beer
  4. I liked it a lot too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Deep Impact James Horner

An underrated score IMO, very emotionally charged for a half decent film.

Yes, a late 90s fave as well, the two final tracks are gold IMO but equally impressive is the synth driven 'Our Best Hope'. Too bad I can't make out half of the score whenever I play this in my car, because of the silent nature of the recording.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. My favorites are the first track and, indeed, the third. The rest is a bit too slow for me and a bit too Coplandesque, even if I like the action bit in Drawing Straws.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. NP: Tropic Thunder - Theodore Shapiro

I wasn't sure where to begin tonight but listening to El Cid was out - I want to be able to devote enough time to just sit and listen to it.

Dipping into Elfman's "Serenada Schizophrana" makes me eager to listen to this one too and the completely unknown CD that is Richard Stone's Sundown is something else to look forward (especially all the positive comments over at the FSM messageboard the other week).

But it was Shapiro's score that won out this evening. I've not heard any of Shapiro's work up until now and the clips for Tropic Thunder made me really curious for this CD. And so far it's turning out to be a good bit of action scoring. It's nothing new (there's certainly some nods to Brian Tyler in the percussion and low strings), but it's an enjoyable mix of orchestral/percussion/electric guitar.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BEYOND RANGOON - Hans Zimmer

A good late listen.
  8. NP: THE LIVES OF OTHERS (Yared / Moucha)

Reading Joep's review encouraged me to return to this wonderful score. The main theme charges many scenes with so much emotion.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote

Wow! That's a treasure. I don't have it nor have I listened to it. But I hope that I will get it someday.
    Last time I tried it went for over $60 on ebay crazy

Recently played...
    Franz Waxman - Prince Valiant
    I'm surprised. I found the 1st half of it rather boring. Perhaps it shouldn't be listened to while gymming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Turned on the computer after several days tongue After listening to The Lion King, swicthed to-

NP: LoTR: The Return of The King (Complete) - Howard Shore

My absolute favourite score of the trilogy!! punk