• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008 edited
    Nice score! It successfully evokes the feelings and moods of the Williams scores, while still maintaining a sense of freshness. Mr. Griskey, I applaud you! applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh;

hurray

Now that was funny! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Nice score! It successfully evokes the feelings and moods of the Williams scores, while still maintaining a sense of freshness. Mr. Griskey, I applaud you! applause

Ya... take that, Kiner! biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik, I already created a thread for Mark Griskey... I was under the impression that this thread was simply for discussion regarding his score for The Force Unleashed, so I went and created a thread for the composer. LOL I was confused, loading up the page to see two separate Mark Griskey threads. biggrin Well, I'll not step on your toes, so I can either ask for my thread to be closed, as your thread has more comments, or you could change this thread's title back to the former one. It doesn't matter to me.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    No, you created one after Erik.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Exactly.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Exactly.

-Erik-

But yours was created for a particular score, The Force Unleashed, so I figured I may as well create one in which to discuss his other works. It doesn't matter... I can ask for Demetris to close my thread, if you wish, but I assure you, at the time I created my thread, your thread was focused on one score, not the composer. wink I didn't mean to step on your toes like this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Exactly.

-Erik-

But yours was created for a particular score, The Force Unleashed, so I figured I may as well create one in which to discuss his other works.

Pointless, this is already the composers own thread.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Exactly.

-Erik-

But yours was created for a particular score, The Force Unleashed, so I figured I may as well create one in which to discuss his other works.

Erik just happened to start a general composer thread with a specific topic is all. Hence no separate thread was needed. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Exactly.

-Erik-

Yup, we don't create separate threads for each score by a composer unless it's really, really specific.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Exactly.

-Erik-

Yup, we don't create separate threads for each score by a composer unless it's really, really specific.

Very well. I apologize. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Ya... take that, Kiner! biggrin

-Erik-

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    THIS IS THE OFFICIAL MARK GRISKEY THREAD!!! MMMMMWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    THIS IS THE OFFICIAL MARK GRISKEY THREAD!!! MMMMMWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

-Erik-

Noooooooooo! angry tongue shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Just noticed you changed the thread title. Erik, you are... evil. Geeze. shame LOL
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    enough boys

LOL Sorry, Daddy. I'll be good; I promise! tongue Seriously, though, sorry. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    YEEEEEEEEEEAH! I WIN!!!!

I will now assimilate your thread into my own!!

wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    YEEEEEEEEEEAH! I WIN!!!!

wink

-Erik-

Don't even start. rolleyes biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    I will now assimilate your thread into my own!!

robot "Resistance is futile."
  1. Well, now this IS something I would expect from a Star Wars score. It perfectly captures the Williams sound while still delivering some fresh and new ideas. I would rate this one a lot higher than McNeely´s approach, simply because it´s much closer to the movie´s sound.

Really, this is extraordinarily well done.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Gaah, the horrible, horrible bit rate! It goes all crackly whenever the brass gets too loud (which in this score is very often!). cry

If you're going to release a full promo score, release it in 320 or FLAC!! explode <<< ears
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    Gaah, the horrible, horrible bit rate! It goes all crackly whenever the brass gets too loud (which in this score is very often!). cry

What? confused For me, it sounds great, and not once have I heard it get "crackly."
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It sounds very bad on my big speakers when I put it up loud. This is a perfect example of how not to rip a CD, even if you are doing it in 192. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    It sounds very bad on my big speakers when I put it up loud.

Hmmm... That's weird. I can play it quite loud, and it still sounds great.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    To the battlefield! kill
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Depends on what volume you have it set at, what equalizer settings you have on and of course the size and quality of your speakers. There may be other factors too which have little to do with bit rate. I can't say I was paying much attention to it on my first listen plus I didn't have it very loud, I will listen out for the supposed discrepancies now though. You know, anal retentiveness and all that jazz.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The only reason I brought it up was because I couldn't even get through the short running time without the quality doing my head in. explode

It's a similar situation with Jane Cornish's Island Of Lost Souls - turn down the damn microphones!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    The only reason I brought it up was because I couldn't even get through the short running time without the quality doing my head in. explode

It's certainly better than people who are ignorant to the default setting of 128kbps on most media players! (But, as they say, ignorance is bliss.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    It sounds very bad on my big speakers when I put it up loud. This is a perfect example of how not to rip a CD, even if you are doing it in 192. sad

You know what... I think this is an iTunes issue. I first played the score thru iTunes and had those pops, crackles and distortion. However, when I played the score on my iPod or thru Winamp or Adobe Audition I don't hear the crackles. I eve tried to convert the tracks to lossless and I can still hear the crackles only if played thru iTunes. And again, that's iTunes on a PC. I haven't listened to the tracks thru my Mac's iTunes. How strange...

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Weird. I'm just playing it from my iPod via my amplifier where it sounds dreadful. dizzy

Btw, do you know if you can manually change the EQ settings on an iPod or can you only use the default presets? I really want to get more bass when playing stuff on it as my amp is already at max. When playing CD's though I don't have the same issue - in fact they seem to have too much bass (but I can obviously turn that down).