• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008
    Received it yesterday... what a wonderful release! A MUST HAVE!!! I don't have any other words, its just fantastic. Beautiful package, superb booklet... a dream came true!

Thanks Mr. Fitzpatrick!
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I cant wait to get mine but for my bank accounts sake another week would be good or two.

sd smile

my bank account is really taking a beating this month.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    How does it compare to the original or Sedares recording? Inquiring minds want to know.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Is this release in a 3CD jewel case package? Or some special digipack?
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Hopefully this recording will go some way to lay to rest the ill-informed comments by some people about the quality of the City of Prague Philharminic Orchestra?

Granted when I first started working with them in 1989 they could only be described as a fair orchestra.

Now, after nearly 20 years of development, introducing younger musicians from the world famous Prague conservatoire, they have become a very fine orchestra. This is not just what I think but what composers such as Gabriel Yared and Rachel Portman have said after working with them.

They have now become one of the most sought after groups for media recording. This year alone I have produced 3 major video game scores with them. Composer Kevin Kiner chose them above any other orchestra to record STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS and Rachel Portman was "delighted" with their playing on her forthcoming score for THE DUCHESS.

Theses, plus other original soundtracks, plus album recording such as GUNS OF NAVARONE, SHERLOCK HOLMES and EL CID prove their pedigreee.

....but of course they will still be somebody somewhere who still has a grudge against Eastern European orchestras! Well all I can say is that Prague is not in Eastern Europe it is in Central Europe...and it is widely acccepted by musicians around the world that the "Prague String Sound" is something very special.

Tadlows comment on that other board.

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    OFFICIAL WORD FROM TADLOW:

THE RELEASE DATE OF EL CID IS SEPTEMBER 1st.

Stock of it has already been shipped to SAE, INTRADA etc... which they should receive next week.

The company handling posting of the direct mail order shipments - Silva Screen - started shipping to USA, EUROPE, AUSTRALIA etc.. on Friday, with UK orders to follow next week.

To receive one in Germany so quickly means that this package was subject to an unusually speedy postal service either in the UK or in Germany. This is something that rarely ever happens!!!

I made the decision to start shipping on August 22nd, as it is a bank holiday weekend in the UK, and I would rather people received their copies a day or two early rather than panic when it is late!

The first pressing of 2000 has indeed totally sold out. Another 1000 will be pressed next week.

James

and more!
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    How does it compare to the original or Sedares recording? Inquiring minds want to know.

It blows the Sedares recording out of the water! That one always felt "wrong" somehow. No doubt, this new re-recording is far superior, the package as well. The orchestra plays fantastic and the recording is extremely close to the original OST. It also has that typical dry film music sound, no the concert hall sound, which is good, as you can hear all the instruments very nicely. The violin solos are true the original violin parts. There are a few tempo differences, for example the first track is played a wee bit slower (to my ears), and some battle music is played a wee bit faster. This was done intentionally, as it seemed to be more appropriate for some particular tracks. Believe me its wonderful. The Sedares had that terrible, wrongly played organ at the end. Oh, that sucked so much... This new recording has the organ played correctly, and what a great dramatic effect it has. The love theme is played very nicely on the violin, and this release has a utterly fantastic alternate bonus version of the end track, with the choir singing lyrics of the "Falcon and the Dove", instead of the original non-lyric choral work. It brought tears to my eyes, seriously! To liner notes mentioned that "it felt as if the composer was there, while doing the re-recording" this might sound a bit too much, but after hearing the re-recording by myself I have to admit that everything oozes the true Rozsa sound. Well done.

The package is wonderful, just a sturdy traditional double cd case with an extra sleeve which has the same artwork as the sleeve in the cd case. The booklet has a wonderful photo on the cover, of El Cid riding out to battle. The artwork and text inside the booklet is great too, and I am very picky... but I couldn't find any fault. This release is now one of my absolutely top favourites in my collection. Recommended! Kudos!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008
    Thank you Talos smile

It's EL-CID so I MUST have it! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008
    There is also one track "Rodrigo's Men" (track 7 on cd two) which has a snippet of a melody that sounds strikingly similar to one of Zimmer's works... can you guess it? go to www.tadlowmusic.com and click the el cid logo, you will find the track list with the sample there. I am sure its pure coincidence, but still funny to hear the similarity.
  2. I don´t know what you mean. Please enlighten me! shame
  3. I guess it's Slaves to Rome!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    Its perhaps a bit far sought... but when I heard this track 7 "Rodrigo's Men", I immediately thought of Zimmer's Prince of Egypt... only a few brief notes, but it sounds the same to me. Like I said, it is just pure coincidence.

Get it this release, better pay a bit more for one masterful soundtrack like this one, than pay the same in total for a bunch of mediocre ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    I got mine today, Outstanding!!!! Absolutely Superb!!!! Listening to it now, WOW!!

sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  4. moonie wrote
    I got mine today, Outstanding!!!! Absolutely Superb!!!! Listening to it now, WOW!!

lick
    I'm waiting for mine to ship from SAE. There must be another title in the package they haven't got yet and it's holding up shipping!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    I did get Scent of Mystery today which was nice to be able to listen to the re-mastered material. No MGM or El Cid.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2008
    Except for the whole complete & chronological thing, this seems like such a great release. I think I would have bought it if it weren't for that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Except for the whole complete & chronological thing, this seems like such a great release. I think I would have bought it if it weren't for that.

rolleyes

Oh for Christ Sakes, Thor. Just buy the damn thing and edit it the way you like it. Trust me, it's so worth it. IMHO, it plays absolutely beatifully in complete form.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2008 edited
    Buy it Thor!! I promise YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!!
    Its more than worth the asking price.
    If you spend 30 bucks on anything this year get this.
    sd smile
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for your concern, but I'll buy the Sedares when I get the dough.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

Even though most in the film music community says that the Taldow blows away the Sedares in every way, shape and form. You are an odd fellow, Thor.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Must. Hear. This. Score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Even though most in the film music community says that the Taldow blows away the Sedares in every way, shape and form. You are an odd fellow, Thor.

-Erik-

Maybe, but there you have it. Album arrangement actually means MORE to me than performance, liner notes, extra features etc. I'd rather have a decently performed score in non-C&C than a superbly performed score in C&C format.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

I'd rather have a decently performed score in non-C&C than a superbly performed score in C&C format.

Weird rolleyes
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You are very nutty man Mr. Thor! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2008 edited
    Would have been boring if everyone had the same preferences, though, right? smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thor wrote
    Would have been boring if everyone had the same preferences, though, right? smile

Not really. Look at who can't talk about El Cid with the rest of the people here. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    Thor wrote

Not really. Look at who can't talk about El Cid with the rest of the people here. tongue wink

Hm? confused
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    Thor you get what you want and enjoy what you want, we are all different, makes life interesting.

steve smile

I know I cause many to scratch their heads. biggrin
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Maybe, but there you have it. Album arrangement actually means MORE to me than performance, liner notes, extra features etc. I'd rather have a decently performed score in non-C&C than a superbly performed score in C&C format.

You are FUCKING bizzare, man. But that's make you who you are and I can honestly say you are most definitely missing out. I find it totally wacko that you would DENY yourself from hearing so much great music because of your STRANGE preferences. Oh well... so be it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008
    There are cases when I can understand Thor's opinion. For instance I, myself, prefer the original 45 minutes album of Krull to the complete release because it is much more melodic and a much better listening experience - at least for me. But in the case of El Cid there are only 5 or 6 tracks which I didn't like and even those were not bad. It's an absolutely gorgeous music and release so Thor in this case you should buy the Tadlow release!