• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2009
    I think it's annoying.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    I think it's annoying.

Me too, a little bit. Not my kinda humour. But interesting idea.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin I must have seen that episode 5 times 'till now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor

LOL! biggrin

I didn't like FAMILY GUY at first (felt a bit too "American"), but I've come to like it a lot. That's a good example right there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Too american? Family guy is pure genius mate. Look it up, the latter season especially, from 3-4 onward. You don't know what you're missing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Now, american dad on the other hand, whilst i do like it a lot, still it's a very americanized version of family guy and i have to say slightly annoying at places. I am with you when it comes to heavily americanized shows as such, they bore the crap out of me or annoy me. But FAMILY GUY is genius smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, it is American. Very American.

But I think season 5 and 6 are Family Guy at its absolute best. Those are the episodes to look out for!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In a clever, up to date way, yes. If you watch AMERICAN DAD and SIMPSONS, you'll know what i mean perhaps, about the difference between those and family guy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I gave up on The Simpsons ages ago, they suck more than a 1000 Dysons. But American Dad is very good, I like that show.

Seth McFarlene is a very witty and very funny guy! The latter seasons of Family Guy have become more satirical, and all the better for it. Also, Stewie is God.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009 edited
    While Simpsons also has it fair share of American references, the absurd comedic style is more universal. To me, nothing comes close to THE SIMPSONS. THE FAMILY GUY is specifically molded around the references (the "flashes", for example) and a very concrete type of humour, which is very American. Still, once you get used to it and take it for what it is, it can also be very funny. It's ideal for popular culture nerds!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009 edited
    Well, OLD Simpsons are classics. But they should have stopped making them years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Also, it's just Family Guy. No 'The'. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I gave up on The Simpsons ages ago, they suck more than a 1000 Dysons. But American Dad is very good, I like that show.

Seth McFarlene is a very witty and very funny guy! The latter seasons of Family Guy have become more satirical, and all the better for it. Also, Stewie is God.

I LOVE American dad and adore McFarlene's humor and intelligence. It's just that American Dad is a different style from FAMILY GUY, more.....american and slightly inferior imo. Of course it doesn't aim to get your ass laughing off in the manner that Family Guy does, it's a more indirect, clever humor and a different style overall, but still i think Family Guy is ages ahead. Roger is great, but Stewie - as you said, is GOD.

On SIMPSONS, i agree with you. I think the first few seasons are good, but then it's turned out to be one of the worst major, continuing shows ever.

Now, SOUTH PARK on the other hand......wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Well, OLD Simpsons are classics. But they should have stopped making them years ago.

People keep saying that, but I just don't agree. I think it's as good as ever. In fact, the first few seasons of the show were rather unfunny - not only because of the crude drawings, but because there was no absurdity and the characters pretty "serious". No, I think it got MUCH better over the years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009 edited
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

People keep saying that, but I just don't agree. I think it's as good as ever. In fact, the first few seasons of the show were rather unfunny - not only because of the crude drawings, but because there was no absurdity and the characters pretty "serious". No, I think it got MUCH better over the years.

shocked

The first first Simpsons were crudely drawn, yes. But I think around season 3 or 4 is where it really got good. I'm not an expert on The Simpsons, but there was a period after the crude drawings and before the newer style we see today where it was absolutely genius. I think it went down hill when Brad Bird left, he was one of the creative forces behind what made The Simpsons so good.

Seriously though, I can't believe you think they've got much better!? (Unless you're referring to the seasons I'm talking about? Certainly can't see how the newest Simpsons are better in any way, they've lost all the charm and wit of the old episodes. They're shit for lack of a better word.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009
    Steven wrote

Agree, later seasons are just sad shadows of former glories.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

shocked

The first first Simpsons were crudely drawn, yes. But I think around season 3 or 4 is where it really got good. I'm not an expert on The Simpsons, but there was a period after the crude drawings and before the newer style we see today where it was absolutely genius. I think it went down hill when Brad Bird left, he was one of the creative forces behind what made The Simpsons so good.

Seriously though, I can't believe you think they've got much better!? (Unless you're referring to the seasons I'm talking about? Certainly can't see how the newest Simpsons are better in any way, they've lost all the charm and wit of the old episodes. They're shit for lack of a better word.)

....and I should have read down the thread further.

100% agree with Steven.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The writers still think "d'oh" is as hilarious as it was all those years ago. It isn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

Well, that's your opinion. I think it has gotten much more refined over the years. For example, the opening of the episode (NOT the intro, but the actual opening of the EPISODE), that goes from one absurd scenario to the other before you land at the REAL narrative of the episode. It's impossible to decipher where you're going before you're actually going there. This is of course an old recipe ingredient of the show, but it has become more outlandish and more inventive over the years. And Homer, for example, has become much more well-rounded (literally) as a character.

It's always popular to "slag the new" and claim that everything used to be so much better back in the day, but that's not the case here, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

It's always popular to "slag the new" and claim that everything used to be so much better back in the day, but that's not the case here, IMO.

Not always.

For istance,

OLD LOST > NEW LOST
    OLD FAMILY GUY < NEW FAMILY GUY
    OLD SOUTH PARK > NEW SOUTH PARK
    OLD SIMPSONS > NEW SIMPSONS
    OLD AMERICAN DAD < NEW AMERICAN DAD

( the list is endless)

Futurama always sucked anyway biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, that's your opinion. I think it has gotten much more refined over the years. For example, the opening of the episode (NOT the intro, but the actual opening of the EPISODE), that goes from one absurd scenario to the other before you land at the REAL narrative of the episode. It's impossible to decipher where you're going before you're actually going there. This is of course an old recipe ingredient of the show, but it has become more outlandish and more inventive over the years. And Homer, for example, has become much more well-rounded (literally) as a character.

That's not what I'm doing here. I only slag things if I think they're worthy of slagging. wink (New Family Guy is much better than old Family Guy, for example.)

The old ones used to have heart, used to actually be original and genuinely funny. I can't find any of that in the new ones, which is why I'm stunned to hear you say that!? Perhaps you need to watch a few episodes from the seasons I'm talking about again, I just find it very hard to believe that anyone can find the new ones better. Honestly, I'm struggling here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

It's aimed at sci-fi geeks and science geeks. And being a bit of both, I can assure you Futurama is far from shit!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

That's not what I'm doing here. I only slag things if I think they're worthy of slagging. wink (New Family Guy is much better than old Family Guy, for example.)

The old ones used to have heart, used to actually be original and genuinely funny. I can't find any of that in the new ones, which is why I'm stunned to hear you say that!? Perhaps you need to watch a few episodes from the seasons I'm talking about again, I just find it very hard to believe that anyone can find the new ones better. Honestly, I'm struggling here.

Well, that's what makes the world click, you know. Different criteria and opinions and all that. Providing that the series running on Norwegian TV is from the current seasons (which I assume, since there's plenty of 3D CGI here and there a la FUTURAMA), I do indeed find it excellent on most levels. To me, it has been pretty stable since season 3 or 4. Very little loss in quality; quite the contrary, a more refined, intelligent, smooth, elegant evolution, complete with excellent timing and/or totally out-there, absurd scenarios. The more absurd, the better!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's aimed at sci-fi geeks and science geeks. And being a bit of both, I can assure you Futurama is far from shit!

I used to think Fururama sucked too, but then that opinion was only based on watching a few episodes, I'm not saying that's the case with D but after watching the complete seasons on DVD I became quite a fan of the show and was very disappointed when, IMO, it was prematurely cancelled.
  1. Was watching a repeated QI on Dave tonight and saw the grace of the mannequin bird - a bird that can "moonwalk":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM_oUJAhKsI
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Was watching a repeated QI on Dave tonight and saw the grace of the mannequin bird - a bird that can "moonwalk":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM_oUJAhKsI

It's un-real....except it IS real! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2009
    Middle eastern crane. Don't tell me it wasn't obvious! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I found this one youtubing the other day. The conductor´s face is priceless (and the trumpet guy was having a little nap I´m afraid):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgzsPoTp2iA
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Middle eastern crane. Don't tell me it wasn't obvious! biggrin

At least 3 brain cells between all of them. rolleyes